Anchor Ball

Rockfish

I recall from reading previous forum topics that you are supposed to put up a black ball when anchored in daylight? If this is true, are there required specifications for the ball. I have a 7 inch diameter round black plastic float, but not sure if it would do the job.

Hey Rock fish , here are the goods. The key is the last highlighted part.

Rule 30
Anchored vessels and vessels aground

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:

(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

Annex 1.6

6. Shapes

(a) Shapes shall be black and of the following sizes:

(i) a ball shall have a diameter of not less than 0.6 metre;(ii) a cone shall have a base diameter of not less than 0.6 metre and a height equal to its diameter;
(iii) a cylinder shall have a diameter of at least 0.6 metre and a height of twice its diameter;
(iv) a diamond shape shall consist of two cones as defined in (ii) above having a common base.

(b) The vertical distance between shapes shall be at least 1.5 metres.

(c) In a vessel of less than 20 metres in length shapes of lesser dimensions but commensurate with the size of the vessel may be used and the distance apart may be correspondingly reduced.

beemer www.C-TowVictoria.com

Hey Charlie i'm not sure but i think our area would be high traffic with the endless container ships coming through rite where most guys anchor up.

Hey Charlie , You might have noticed ,but Canada is awash in beauracrats and so many rules that they can't even keep track of them[:p].
I would have to say that the TC inspector is incorrect in his interpretation.

The reality is what's safer? You can hang all the do dads you want and have a Scotsman the size of Schoolbus and you will still get some tool running you over.

I personally don't bother with the black ball, but if you want to be 100% legal you need it.

beemer

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Hey Charlie , You might have noticed ,but Canada is awash in beauracrats and so many rules that they can't even keep track of them[:p].
I would have to say that the TC inspector is incorrect in his interpretation.

The reality is what's safer? You can hang all the do dads you want and have a Scotsman the size of Schoolbus and you will still get some tool running you over.

I personally don't bother with the black ball, but if you want to be 100% legal you need it.

beemer
Probably couldn't agree with you more! :D

As for the traffic, everything is in prospective!
Not saying one is or isn’t required, I would just check before running out and buying up to a 2 foot black ball, that one might not need?

What do you think... these need an anchor ball? And what good would it even do? [:eek:)]

big_boat.jpg

too_close.jpg

Back