Alexandra Morton Speaking... please attend!

I think it was Carl Sagan who once said; "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
IMHO, this most certainly applies to the presence of viral infections.

Thanks, Charlie - and will do! I would love to see those guys pull this controversy into court - that would be dumb, but they're desperate. Maybe I could demand in court that they prove the viruses do not exist in their fish? Court ordered testing!

Holmes and I are thinking of starting The Raging Rednecks - puttin' up "X-out Atlantic salmon" stickers in random places. Wanna join up? lol
Love to join ya... You or Holmes driving that 200 miles to pick me up? :)

Thanks for posting Rockfish. I dont get paper. Nice to see people voicing concerns.

I missed that Foxsea yes I thought of that awhile ago just start discreetly decorating Costcos and Safeways salmon section esp Costco since the main salmon they sell is 'Atlantic' farmed with bumper stickers making people aware of what they are buying. Youd have to be incognito. Mabey we could each take a turn once a week. You never know you might get one passionate manager that would just have the frozen wild bc sockeye they sell and only do seasonally available. Or wait how many Norweigan share holders does Costco have... Sign me up.

Thanks for posting Rockfish. I dont get paper. Nice to see people voicing concerns.

I missed that Foxsea yes I thought of that awhile ago just start discreetly decorating Costcos and Safeways salmon section esp Costco since the main salmon they sell is 'Atlantic' farmed with bumper stickers making people aware of what they are buying. Youd have to be incognito. Mabey we could each take a turn once a week. You never know you might get one passionate manager that would just have the frozen wild bc sockeye they sell and only do seasonally available. Or wait how many Norweigan share holders does Costco have... Sign me up.

Well, concerning Costco and Safeway... consider printing up a bunch of these and leaving them in the seafood section of the stores? It does get their attention! :)

dearmanagermontereybay.jpg

Well, concerning Costco and Safeway... consider printing up a bunch of these and leaving them in the seafood section of the stores? It does get their attention! :) View attachment 3653

Fishstalker: Please send me a pm so I can get some stickers to you. A great idea that we do a rotation, although I'm personally okay with it if the action creates a disturbance and attracts media attention to these issues.
Charlie: great piece. Thank you! I'll print some of them up and distribute them to the local stores today.
These may seem little things on their own but in aggregate...you never know what may unfold.

Good idea's for consumer awareness, but wouldn't most store managers be opposed ?
I would think they would be removed in short order ?

Good idea's for consumer awareness, but wouldn't most store managers be opposed ?
I would think they would be removed in short order ?
YEP! They pick them up, just as soon as a manager sees them. Then when the manager sees you, they will ask you to stop. Then they threaten to have you removed from their premises. :)

YEP! They pick them up, just as soon as a manager sees them. Then when the manager sees you, they will ask you to stop. Then they threaten to have you removed from their premises. :)

Need a small army of flyer distributors, only once into a store
next time somebody else goes in.
Go through a lot of flyer's, but maybe the word will get out.

Apparently any BCWF member can attend the presentation in Courtenay tomorrow. Upstairs of the Westerly hotel 10:45 a.m.

Yes a disturbance in the store and media attention is what I was picturing. Not just flyers nobody pics those up as they think its just advertising. A bumper sticker would get noticed as its not supposed to be there stuck on the side of the refrigeration unit. Of course mangers would be opposed im guessing youd also be barred from returning to store even to shop. Thats why discreetly placed as you 'decided on which piece of salmon to buy' when you learn in to look. Im all up for some debauchery for awareness but what is the message your thinking of putting on it?

So what is the main goal? to make government recognize these virus and can only do that by making them change there methods of testing? So that is the first message? Then the second thing it to get the fishfarms out of the water? I know up in Campbell River there is a land based chinook fish farm. I thought ISA is like a flu and the germs get into the water and even if the pens were on land they would still be flushing it out into the ocean and rivers so would it make a difference? I know the obvious answer is filters but long is it going to take them to develop that. What has happened to positive tested farms is Norway and Chile are these places still up and running? What have they done about it?

The issue is I think some of us live in a dream world (me included) which went I went to Vancouver a few months ago brought me back to reality. There is alot of fricken people in the world. And we are headed toward major food shortages. Im know people would pick wild over farmed salmon but if its a choice of wild salmon (which they could never be enough of to feed the billions of people) or food the answer is obvious. Mind you the states did raise its price on corn and started keeping for themselves for ethanol while mexican people who staple was corn coming from there starves. This whole thing is so depressing.

The issue is I think some of us live in a dream world (me included) which went I went to Vancouver a few months ago brought me back to reality. There is alot of fricken people in the world. And we are headed toward major food shortages. Im know people would pick wild over farmed salmon but if its a choice of wild salmon (which they could never be enough of to feed the billions of people) or food the answer is obvious. Mind you the states did raise its price on corn and started keeping for themselves for ethanol while mexican people who staple was corn coming from there starves. This whole thing is so depressing.

One of the greatest fallacies (lies?) about the farming of salmon is that it will provide a food source for the poor and starving of the world. What utter nonsense, when you think about it! Farmed salmon is one of the most expensive proteins you can buy and I don't think very many of the worlds poor chow down on it on a regular basis. If you were really trying to feed the world you would be using the biomass that is pillaged from the oceans to feed the penned salmon to produce a high protein food supplement to be directly consumed by humans. Using this biomass to feed penned salmon is extremely inefficient.

So it's not about feeding the poor and starving, it's all about making billions in profit for a few corporations and to hell with every thing else like polluting the coastal environment, eliminating wild fish, strip mining the oceans etc.

They would be using the biomass but there not because its inefficient? Im dont understand.

Yes its about making money what isnt. Its about selling what the people want and people need not want food. The goverment isnt letting this happen for charity reasons. These fish arnt to feed to the poor and starving there to feed the people above them who can afford it and need to eat. Food is the one thing people have to have. Feeding people isnt a 'fallacy' its a business deal. People need food wether its ethically produced or not.

I thought ISA is like a flu and the germs get into the water and even if the pens were on land they would still be flushing it out into the ocean and rivers so would it make a difference? I know the obvious answer is filters but long is it going to take them to develop that.

You use UV light to kill the virus in the water. One for the intake and one for the exhaust.
It is very effective and a standard way to do this. I lived in Quebec (a long time ago) and there was a plant that did this for the drinking water. It was rated as being the best water in the world and no Chlorine needed.
GLG

The technology to clean up industrial wastewater is long there. No excuse. You could clean it right down to drinking water if you wish. Fairly simple. UV is one of the tools and is technical standard for almost any water or wastewater treatment facility.

Does anyone know what has happened in Norway or Chile. What effects has it had on there wild stocks and what were they?

My boyfriend did well systems for years and I know about uv for well water but I didnt imagine it would work for land based fish farm waste. Seems a little bit more unnatural. I guess if it can take out chem fertilizers that might make it into aquifers and e coli..

Back