Alex: Standing Committee formed to investegate...

Little Hawk

Hello

The Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans was formed yesterday. They will
have their agenda set by the 10th. If you want them to revisit impact of salmon
farming on wild fish in Canada you have two days.

There are several breaking issues that need to be dealt with swiftly such has
the developing drug resistance in sea lice on both coasts and the new drugs that
are being approved rapidly to try and deal with this. These drugs cannot remain
in the pens and enter the ocean.

Every Atlantic salmon facility in British Columbia must be tested for the ISA
virus in case it is here to prevent it from spreading to the North Pacific.

There are many issues that affect many people and I just want to let you know
this opportunity exists and will close soon. I have heard the Norwegian
companies are meeting with MPs to revamp the Fisheries Act to meet their needs.

The clerk is of this committee is Travis Ladoucer
/Fax: /613-992-9069
/E-mail: / FOPO@parl.gc.ca

The MPs are:

Rodney Weston - Chair

Raynald Blais, Lawrence MacAuley – Vice Chair

Fin Donnelly Member
Randy Kamp Member

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Forgot to mention the above letter is from Alex.

I emailed the following letter this AM.
Hopefully some others might follow suit...

Dear Sirs of the Committee,

My name is Terry Anderson. I am a father of two, a carpenter and a life-long sport fisherman who has been fortunate enough to grow up in a province with unparalleled natural beauty, wildlife and sport fishing opportunities.

I am also the Founder & President of the Canadian Wild Salmon Alliance Society, an organization based here in Victoria. We are an organization of sport-fishermen and people from all walks of life concerned about and advocating for the welfare of Pacific salmon.

At this juncture in the saga of the tragic DFO-orchestrated decline of our 'Great Fishes', I firmly believe the #1 most doable fix to bring some much needed respite to Pacific salmon is to get the Norwegian salmon farmers OUT OF OUR WATERWAYS and into land based closed containment systems.

In the 10 yrs I have been reading and writing about the terrible net-pen business and the attendant pollution, escaping fish, and disease & parasite transmission issues that have followed this industry around the globe since its inception, I remain dumbfounded how the DFO - the official Stewards of our priceless Pacific Salmon - can justify aligning themselves with this environmentally devastating fiasco.

The day has long passed that these Norwegian salmon-farmers should have been banished to land-based facilities.
I urge this Committee to move quickly 'towards-the-light' and do the right thing on behalf of Pacific salmon and all the People's and wildlife of British Columbia that depend on healthy and vital populations of these fishes.

Standing for Wild Salmon,
Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Here is a response to my letter from the office of Keith Martin and David Suzuki.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your email; Dr. Martin is in Ottawa, and I will forward your message to him. Keith is advocating for a move to closed containment and land based fish farming away from salmon migration routes.

I have attached a few articles that he has written, and a short debate that took place in the House of Commons with Fisheries Minister, Gail Shea.

Regards,

Victoria Simmons

Assistant

Office of Dr. Keith Martin, M.D., P.C., M.P.

Esquimalt - Juan de Fuca

666 Granderson Road

Victoria, BC V9B 2R8

Tel: 250-474-6505 Fax: 250-474-5322

www.keithmartin.org

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your email and question regarding our position on farmed salmon. To learn more about our work on this issue please visit our website and Caar’s website (our partner organization for this issue).

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Oceans/Aquaculture/

http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/

All the best,

Lana

Program Coordinator - Marine & Freshwater

David Suzuki Foundation

219-2211 West 4th Avenue

Vancouver, BC

V6K 4S2

T: 604.732.4228 (ext. 241)

F: 604.732.0752

Hello I was wondering where David Suzuki stands on the current fish farming practices here in British Columbia. I am very concerned with the latest issues regarding escapees,outfall, drugs, sea lice and general open containment for this type of industry. In it's current form I cannot see how this is a viable option on the west coast. Our wild stocks are at serious risk of collapse. Here is a clip that Alexandra Mortin prepared and I find it compelling. http://vimeo.com/9646074 I have watched David Suzuki since I was a child and greatly respect his work. I am curious as to his take on this issue as I know if there was any other angle then he would most certainly find it. Thank you very much for your time. Sincerely

Bless you Mark and all those of us who stand and try to make a difference!

Likewise Terry!

I am amazed at the lack of effort from most anglers I meet however.

On another note, I saw Keith Martin at my gym tonight. I didn't want to bother him, but I will make a point of gaining his trust with small talk as we workout. Eventually I will bring up our issues with the net pens. Hopefully he will be equally keen. Considering he is making a motion for closed containment he just may very well appreciate the support.

Good plan Mark...

Back