Advice needed re: buying new VHF

Rockfish

It is time to retire my good quality but ancient non-DSC Marine VHF. So trying to work out what to buy and am considering one of the following so far and looking for advice.

Many of these are new model releases with the latest standards built in such as 'Escalating DSC alarm'. I like some of the toys such as having an AIS receiver built in but the manual for that one is thick and looks like a big learning curve for an older guy without an electronics engineering degree.

Factors for consideration.
Not too wide - needs to be mounted from the cabin roof beside the GPS Chart plotter and space is limited.
GPS connection compatible with my dated Lowrance 10 inch color chart plotter model # LCX-110c.
Rugged and good quality with good warranty.
Easy to use/intuitive without a huge learning curve to set up and use.
I am not price sensitive.

ICOM - like them and they are new models
IC-M424
IC-M504A
IC-M604A

Standard Horizon
GX2150 Matrix AIS+ new version of their VHF with AIS receiver.
GX1700 This new model has a built in 12 Channel GPS so position indicated DSC calls can be done without being connected to an external GPS. We will likely see this a lot more in the near future. Now would it’s internal GPS work inside a glass hard top mounted from the ceiling right beside a GPS with a heavy metal mounting bracket? My Lowrance GPS unit has an external mounted antenna.

Lowrance
Rugged and have three year warranty and trade in program beyond that. Reported to be simple to setup, use and learn.
Link- 5 - new model.
LVR-880
LVR- 250

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard Horizon AIS you can't go wrong. Interface it with your GPS and you have a poor mans radar.

Standard Horizon AIS you can't go wrong. Interface it with your GPS and you have a poor mans radar.

I assume you have one. How complicated did you find it to link to your GPS, set up, learn and use. I’am one of those guys who’s old VCR use to have the clock on it blinking forever.

Did it all myself and the only thing that needs seting up is your MMSI # when you get it. That was probably the hardest thing to do and it wasn't all that bad. you only get one shot at it thou. Once set-up the AIS target show up on your GPS and you scroll over to them, press enter and it will tell you everything you would ever need to know about them. It will not replace radar, but it is a good start.

GX2150 gets my vote, love it, very easy install, make sure your lcx transmits/recieves in 38400 baud for the AIS to work with your chartplotter, if it does your good to go, I have it hooked to an hds-10 and it overlays on my charts

Actually I think that 38400 baud rate is only to overlay onto the hds charts, i dont think it will overlay onto your lcx but you will still see ais targets on its own front display
Hope this helps
Tim

Rockfish don't know where you are but if your on the island give Mike a call at Harbour Chandlers(1-877-753-2425) and he will give you all the info you will ever need. He will even hook it up for you for a very good price if you want.

GX 2150 gets my vote as well. oVERLAYS ON MY LOWRANCE LCX 111hd. I hooked it all up myself and I am over 60. I really like it and programmed it in a few minutes to follow my buddy'd boat which has the same radio.
Tedg

GX 2150 gets my vote as well. oVERLAYS ON MY LOWRANCE LCX 111hd. I hooked it all up myself and I am over 60. I really like it and programmed it in a few minutes to follow my buddy'd boat which has the same radio.
Tedg

X3 - I've had it for about 1 year and it's a lot smarter then me but patient and forgiving... lol.

I have the gx 2150 and its pretty simple to use, although you can make it do a lot more if you want to read up a bit. I thought the set up would be real easy as all 3 components ( plotter, finder and radio) are all the same brand, but who knew that you don't just connect all the same coloured wires, too easy I guess. Anyway connect one machines output to the others input and your good to go. Or just get someone to hook it up, using it is a breeze.

Thanks guys. It seems like most are impressed with the SH GX2150 AIS +. I did as suggested, call up Harbour Chandlers and had a good discussion with a guy (not Mike) there and also did some further research on line.

Unfortunately I understand the GX2150 AIS+ is not AIS compatible with my Lowrance LCX-110c 10 inch Chart plotter/sounder, which is the main feature and value of the GX2150 AIS, and I do have radar.

If you don’t want or can’t use the AIS aspect of the SH GX2150 then at the same price point, the ICOM 504a is apparently somewhat superior in its ability to pull in weak signals, and reject strong signals coming in on adjacent channels, rejects noise better, produces a cleaner clearer voice signal for those receiving you and important for me with a large and noisy V6 2 stroke Opti, has a louder and clearer built in speaker.

It would seem that without the cost of building in AIS, ICOM was able to put in better engineering to the basic aspects of what you want a VHF to do for the same price point. The guy I spoke with at Chandlers uses the ICOM 504 in an open boat where it is reported to be very rugged, reliable, loud, clear, impervious to salt and weather and has great performance.

If I could use the GX2150 AIS + fully (yes I know there is basic AIS on the radio) without spending 3 thousand on a new 10 inch Chartplotter/fishfinder and nav charts, I would go with it as it is a very good radio. But since I can’t, the ICOM is looking like a better option.

The new Standard Horizon GX1700 would be very easy to install and setup (just hook up the power and ground) with its built in GPS and apparently the GPS aspect should work just fine even in a cabin without an external GPS antenna and is lower priced; but like the GX2150 apparently does not have quite the same level of transceiver performance as the ICOM 504.

On line it was hard to find much that was critical of the 504.

Chandlers does not recommend the older model Lowrance radios and the new model (Link 5) has not been out long enough to prove itself.

For good performance a high end well placed antenna is critical. A modest VHF with a high end antenna can outperform a high end VHF with a modest antenna when it comes to communication distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
"For good performance a high end well placed antenna is critical. A modest VHF with a high end antenna can outperform a high end VHF with a modest antenna when it comes to communication distance."

Very true. If you have the real estate, Morad 156 HD is your antenna, hands down. Same goes for coax/connectors..... RG213 coax, with properly done soldered (not crimped) connectors at each end, exterior connections wrapped in vulcanizing tape (water wicks down braided shield of coax if given the chance, and ruins things).

Rockfish in you case, I would go for the Icom very well make radio. Seeing as it doesn't work with your plotter the AIS is not worth it and as -smtw says get the better antenna. I bought one when I bought the new VHF and then replaced the one on my old radio to match and notice a big performance gain in the old radio.

Back