Abel reels

Don't get me wrong,I do appreciate quality,but after my "Islander" bearing was replaced for the second time,I sold it.I've had less problems with my "Trophy" but one did seize up while playing a fish.I'm not crazy about my "Rapala North Coast",feels cheap,clicker springs break.I may try the TMX5 next.You don't get the smooth feeling when playing fish with "Shimano" compared to the machined reels,but they sure are reliable.And I did spend way more time maintaining my "Islander" than I ever have with the "Shimano" 2000 or 4000 GT.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I could never appreciate the value some see in a Rolex. I'd rather have a watch that keeps good time and is good for everyday use, rather than a watch I was afraid would get scratched.

Never understood tricked out 80 plus K pickup trucks either, but I know lots of guys who do. I'd be afraid to scratch the paint, mess up the chrome or damage the custom leather interior. I guess the value in anything is what someone is willing to pay. Clearly people are willing to buy Rolex's while others are totally happy with Timex's. Have to admit though, other folks seldom comment on my plain functional watch, but bet they would if I showed up wearing a Rolex! Lol

Funny guys are willing to spend thousands on boats/trucks electronics etc etc but when it comes down to the piece of equipment that they are actually using to catch the fish they cheap out. Remember when you buy a quality reel or rod you have it for life.

Have heard mixed reviews on these. Most of the glowing reviews have been from new owners, first season. Have a friend who guides for the biggest local guide outfitter , where they are provided abels, says after a season of being fished hard they creep much worse than any islander. I'll sick to my MR2's.

I have caught sooo many fish on my MR2'S, they are pretty good overall and there is nothing on the market that I would change them out for. Depending on how hard I fish depends on how often I change bearings, typically its the drag plate bearing once a season. They really don't creep that much at all once broken in. I would give up many different pieces of fishing equipment before I would give up my Islanders. It is not possible to compare a shimano to an islander, fit, finish construction, and the ability to kill big salmon quickly are huge. My reels will last me a lifetime of personal fishing with proper care and attention....a shimano will not.....period. I have tried every knock off on the market and none of them are better than the MR2. Get this none of them are that much cheaper than an Islander.....plus I like supporting a company in my back yard. Abel makes a nice reel... are they worth with $$$ I am not sure.
my 2 cents

No,Shimano's don't compare to Islanders or Abel's, I wouldn't argue that.I think everybody decides at some point what they're comfortable spending on their gear and if your happy spending that much on an Abel or Islander good on you.My dream boat would be a Pursuit or Ocean Sport. Would I be comfortable parting with enough money to get one? Not at this point in my life,but if you can I'm happy for you.Personally,I seem to be comfortable in the $200-$450 range for a reel, I never would have had an Islander, if I hadn't won it in a derby (on a Shimano):):)

Abels are nice for sure. Ive used both, only real difference to me was the "click" drag which I really liked. 1 Abel not worth 2 Islanders imo. Buy Canadian.

After letting a decent fish, spoon, flasher, technium and shimano slip out of my slimy hands last summer, I am obliged to stick to the cheap stuff. I did buy a brand new truck recently after driving the old one into the dirt, but my hull is 1977 and suits my thrifty ways.

I have 4 Abels. I used to have 4 islanders. I keep 1 MR3 on the boat for people that like to try Islanders. Also 1 Peetz, which is a lot of fun to hear.
The Abels are the best I've tried, and I haven't had creep with them, as opposed to the Islanders which ticked all day long.

Tried them all guys. Don't like the knobs that the abels come with. Like the pick up on them. A little better than then mr3. Don't like the knobs islanders come with either for that matter. I make custom hardwood ones and my customers absolutely love them. I find the mr3 to have a smoother action than the abels and I like the sound on them better. Had the same three for 6 seasons of guiding now. Never had a issue. 3 of those years were at QCL , so these reels have seen quite a few lifetimes of tyees. Like I said I have experimented with most reels out there and mr3 s are the best ones. So far. But that's just one guides opinion.

Custom Abels with art work look sweet and are heirlooms. Pass down to grand kids like your money....

Back