9.9 Kicker Big Enough??

I’m installing a kicker on my boat, wondering if anyone has experience running a 9.9 Yamaha HT on a 30’ 13,000lb boat?
Will only be used for trolling or emergency but wondering if it will be under powered and have to run full throttle all the time.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I ran one on a 26 foot boat. It was fine for trolling if it wasn't too windy. Not sure I would want to travel at any speed with it for a long distance. I also had my big motor crap out on me while fishing on the Vancouver side. It didn't have enough power to get me up the river against the flow.

Clearly not enough power for that boat size. 15 would also be a bit under power if you’re looking for an emergency backup. I would go with a 20.

Thanks guys, kind of what I was thinking too but thought I’d ask!
Appreciate the feedback
Yeah just for added assurance I'm currently replacing my 15HP with a 30HP on my commander (15000lb)

Go with a Yammy high thrust 25hp or a 30hp. This way if you need it to get you home in the wind, waves and tide you can make some decent time.

I run 9.9 Yamaha high trust on my 2825 Kingfisher. It’s enough power for about 95% of the trolling I do. Rarely I need to run one of the mains for trolling in rough waters.

A little bit larger motor might be nice for the higher charging output.

When running two plotter, the radios, Downrigger’s etc the 9.9 doesn’t put out enough power to keep the batteries 100% charged.

Back