8th annual Fish for the Future, July 10th 2010

Do you want to learn more about fishing around Vancouver? Here is a great opportunity! The 8th annual Fish for the Future is happening at London’s Landing in Steveston on Saturday July 10th.

From 10:00am to 3:00pm, free fishing activities will be available for kids under the age of 16. Saltwater fishing licences and fishing rods will be available for those who are just starting out. If you have some fishing experience, then this is a chance for you to gain some tips and secrets from experienced fishing instructors.

Steveston is located at the mouth of the Fraser River, where fresh and saltwater mix. Due to this unique environment, a variety of both fish species from the river and ocean are found in this area. At Fish for the Future, you can expect to encounter peamouth chubs, northern pikeminnows, sculpins, flounders and possibly trout and white sturgeon!

Beside fishing, participants can expect to take part in other activities. Ongoing fly tying and casting workshops will be hosted for all ages throughout the event. The Seymour Salmonid Society will be showcasing juvenile coho salmon and aquatic insects from the Seymour River. Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society will be displaying two birds of prey. Fisheries and Oceans Canada will be on site to answer your questions on salmon fishing and crabbing. Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC will be hosting ongoing mini learn to fish lessons.

Organizers hope to promote fishing in Vancouver as an outdoor activity that all families can participate in, as well as bringing a better understanding and appreciation of the Fraser River estuary ecosystem to the public.

For more information, please visit the event website at http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fftf.

Rodney Hsu, Fishing with Rod, My blog, My YouTube channel, My Facebook page

100710-02.jpg

100710-05.jpg

100710-03.jpg

100710-07.jpg

100710-01.jpg

100710-06.jpg

100710-04.jpg

Rodney Hsu, Fishing with Rod, My blog, My YouTube channel, My Facebook page

Back