• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
Smart move by the biggest company in Victoria moving some operations onto the NRKW which will likely be less restrictive for whale watchers. Maybe seeing that there is a threat to their business in the south so being proactive.

Thanks for posting this. Brings back tons of memories from combined scuba/fishing trips to Telegraph Cove in the eighties. First time I think was 82' as I recall and met Jim Borrowman and Bill McKay as new entrepreneurs starting up the company. Always friendly and helpful about the area despite our never using their WW services. Stubbs Island specifically has a special memory to me due to the rugged ( off the grid ) boat camping( zodiac) we did several times for 10-14 days on that little gem of an Island. Fantastic marine life and superb fishing in the area. Launching the zodiac off the rugged shorline before dinner would usually provide a nice coho or Chinook within minutes. Even dragged a full size air compressor onto that Island so we could fill tanks right there. As I recall Stubbs was IR or Crown land at that time but either way nobody ever took issue with our camping there. Often had visitors from one of the local FN reserves come by for a bev or two and with offerings for trade lol. Here is a bit of detail about the history of Stubbs Island Whale Watching if anyone is interested.

https://www.stubbs-sightings.com/history

Smart move by the biggest company in Victoria moving some operations onto the NRKW which will likely be less restrictive for whale watchers. Maybe seeing that there is a threat to their business in the south so being proactive.

Yes. But sad Stubbs is going out of business and even more disappointing telegraph did that to them. They were amazing at not harassing whales and helping biologists etc, and I think many are worried about that up north now due to the reputation of the new company (not saying I know just what has been circling in the area).

Yes. But sad Stubbs is going out of business and even more disappointing telegraph did that to them. They were amazing at not harassing whales and helping biologists etc, and I think many are worried about that up north now due to the reputation of the new company (not saying I know just what has been circling in the area).
IMHO ,I don't think you can blame Gordie at Telegraph for doing anything here. Heike, the lady that runs Stubs, told me personally that they were not coming back in 2019. She told me this as she was trying to sell me her 40' trailer that is her accomodations in the campsite at Telegraph. This was in early August ,long before December when office lease renewal was denied. I'm sure Gordie was looking after his interest first making sure there was a whale watching operator in place to service the 3 bus loads of tourists that come to Telegraph Cove daily to go out on the whale watching boats.

I thing the rumours about this company stem from the fact that it is the largest company with obvious resources to compete aggressively for market share. Others typically have little good to say about such companies especially if it is started by a competitor. I know this companies boats were involved in trying to prevent the Neah Bay natives from killing a humpback or grey whale a few years back.

Back