• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
That’s a pretty cool looking old boat, you’ll have to keep us updated on it as it comes along.

Built from scratch, repurposed community water tower wood. . And many hours. . ..we have had it in the water the last couple of summers but always something to keep doing.

Really, that’s cool. Classic Lines to her that’s for sure.

My favourite hobby other then fishing is watching my kid drive race cars. After driving for 18 years I put my son in a car at 4 1/2 years old and after 6 years it has become my second full time job. We have traveled to Vegas a couple times and were the first Canadians to run California Speedweek, 4 races at 5 different tracks in 5 days. 36 races from January to September last years keeps me busy.

Just installed new swivel mounts on the downriggers just need a day to try them out.View attachment 43235 View attachment 43236
Finally a Motorsport guy on here. I raced quarter midgets and mini sprints for years with my son and then several years working with another driver in sprint cars . I’m no longer active but those were some of my best times by far. I still follow the sport though.

I enjoy the program Forged In Fire on the History channel. I find the craftsmanship and metallurgy to be fascinating. I'm curious as a knife maker what you think of the program?

I think it’s pretty good; i can’t really relate with some of the oddball weapons they make the finalists create. i just make straight up hunting knives with a drop point. i enjoy making them look old timey; like they used to belong to your grandpa. i also make and hand stitch the leather sheaths. lots of fun.

I think it’s pretty good; i can’t really relate with some of the oddball weapons they make the finalists create. i just make straight up hunting knives with a drop point. i enjoy making them look old timey; like they used to belong to your grandpa. i also make and hand stitch the leather sheaths. lots of fun.
Very cool. I enjoy handcrafted items and have a lot of respect for those that take the time to learn a craft such as yours.

Skiing keeps me busy all winter outside of work. Skiing was what brought me to Canada more than 30 years ago, it was my living for a few years and was how I met my wife. The two of us and our daughter are instructors and our son was a sponsored snowboarder for a few years, now we have grandkids learning to ski. Allied with that is timing races, I've been chief of timing for the local alpine race club for a gazillion years. Over the past six years I've led a project to rebuild and extend the buried wiring network on the mountain, we have about 3500 m of cable in the system and 20 timing locations so we can run anything from kids dual slalom right up to sanctioned DH events. Apparently I've become an amateur lineman, lol.

The other one is mountain biking, I've held an officials licence for years. Gets me all over the province each summer working at XC and DH races. World Championships at Mt Ste Anne in Quebec this August, will work that and have my wife join me afterward for some tourism. Haven't visited Quebec yet, finally someone paid the bill (well some of it anyway).

Food and wine would be the other interest. Skills have sharpened considerably living in the Okanagan, amazing produce and wine to work with. Even fresh sockeye in August!

Over the years I have had many enjoyable pursuits, but (aside from fishing) the ones I have stuck to are sailing & guitarbuilding.
Club racing & cruising was a passion of mine for many years, but now I am down to occasional crewing in local races.
I have a nice big warm shop with all the tools I need & spend much of my time there when the weather drives me indoors. Building & repairing stringed instruments has been the most satifying passtime ever.
I actually get as much satisfaction doing repairs & restorations as I get from a scratch build.
Not very exciting or adventurous, but it suits me perfectly. Starting with rough pieces of exotic wood from all over the world and ending up with a beautiful thing that can inspire a good musician keeps my aging hands & brain working & happy.
If I figure out an easy way to send pics, I'll post some later.

Last edited:
Back