5 Years After - By Bob Hooton

OldBlackDog

FN nets pushing Thompson steelhead over a cliff, all levels of govt too scared to call a spade a spade. T steelhead will fade from existence, end of problem for govt agencies. Pretty obvious what is happening and what the final outcome will be. Next up, the skeena system.

Last edited:
Rich Kornbrath
March 30, 2022 at 4:00 pm
I would like to know the total value in numbers of fish and species of all FNs in-river gill net fishing, by tribe or gill net location, in the Fraser system by year.
I would like to know the total value – in dollars- of all FNs allowed commercial in-river gill net fishing by tribe or gill net location, in the Fraser system by year.
I would like to know the total value – in fish numbers, species & dollars- of all FNs FSC in-river gill net fishing by tribe or gill net location, in the Fraser system by year.
I would like to know the total cost-in dollars- individually and collectively of all DFO, Provincial & FNs fish enhancement & hatchery operations by location, and by year in the Fraser system.
I would like to know the estimated or approximate total cost-in dollars- of the salaries/benefits paid by taxpayers by year to both federal and provincial employees responsible specifically for salmon and steelhead management/conservation.
I would like to know how much -in dollars and by year- is paid by FNs tribes or individual official governmental FNs members (or lobbyists) to which federal and provincial political appointees.
It’s SARS, it’s conservation, it’s future generations…it’s way past time to f***ing shut it all down. Now, do we have all you stakeholders’ attention? the tribes, the ocean commercial, the ocean recreational commercial guides, the river recreational commercial guides, the recreational anglers…? Close it all for two seasons for starters and let’s all begin to talk human to human. Perhaps these many dollars and efforts can be redirected more effectively. I would like to know the total value – in fish numbers, species & dollars- of all FNs FSC in-river gill net fishing by tribe or gill net location, in the Fraser system by year

Rich Kornbrath
March 30, 2022 at 4:00 pm
I would like to know the total value in numbers of fish and species of all FNs in-river gill net fishing, by tribe or gill net location, in the Fraser system by year.
I would like to know the total value – in dollars- of all FNs allowed commercial in-river gill net fishing by tribe or gill net location, in the Fraser system by year.
I would like to know the total value – in fish numbers, species & dollars- of all FNs FSC in-river gill net fishing by tribe or gill net location, in the Fraser system by year.
I would like to know the total cost-in dollars- individually and collectively of all DFO, Provincial & FNs fish enhancement & hatchery operations by location, and by year in the Fraser system.
I would like to know the estimated or approximate total cost-in dollars- of the salaries/benefits paid by taxpayers by year to both federal and provincial employees responsible specifically for salmon and steelhead management/conservation.
I would like to know how much -in dollars and by year- is paid by FNs tribes or individual official governmental FNs members (or lobbyists) to which federal and provincial political appointees.
It’s SARS, it’s conservation, it’s future generations…it’s way past time to f***ing shut it all down. Now, do we have all you stakeholders’ attention? the tribes, the ocean commercial, the ocean recreational commercial guides, the river recreational commercial guides, the recreational anglers…? Close it all for two seasons for starters and let’s all begin to talk human to human. Perhaps these many dollars and efforts can be redirected more effectively. I would like to know the total value – in fish numbers, species & dollars- of all FNs FSC in-river gill net fishing by tribe or gill net location, in the Fraser system by year
99% of those numbers that you are looking for are hidden and will never be divulged

99% of those numbers that you are looking for are hidden and will never be divulged
Remember this whenever people say that DFO should be run by the province.

ba033f435f9d889800a886a6e056d3cc
Chris Long
April 6, 2022 at 4:42 pm
I hear you, Bob. Trying to get just sportfishers to agree and work together is so difficult, much less the commercial and FN interests. It’s sad that the lodge operators aren’t leading the charge on protests. They’d rather stick their heads in the sand and pretend everything is fine with the runs. Or, it also seems like some of them have been brainwashed into thinking that speaking out against FN gillnetting runs into extinction is somehow racist, and they refuse to acknowledge the damage being done by FNs. They instead spend their time and effort on tricking more clients into coming and being content to catch few or no fish. It seems pretty damn shortsighted, although there does seem to be a surprising number of people willing to spend $15k+ on fancy spey gear and a week of fishing, and be content swinging flies over empty runs.
  • 1eb84563931abeba5d6b434c22a26a75
    Bob Hooton
    April 6, 2022 at 4:56 pm
    Lessons learned – business trumps conservation and (as you say) anyone who dares suggest First Nations are a big part of the conservation issue these days is labeled a bigot, racist, irreversibly biased and completely ignored by government.
    When the inevitable arrives and there is nothing left for anyone to suck dollars out of, then what? Can you hear the calls for compensation? History will repeat itself.

Back