34.5 lbers and big fish in Vancouver now!

M

Mortician

By: David Korsch
Hello Fellow Anglers

Again, I have been a bit neglectful in getting out a fishing report every two or three weeks. I should be able to get it out on a more regular basis from now on.

During the past couple of months we have continued to see a strong showing during the winter Chinook fishery. Most of the time we were finding the typical legal fish of 8 to 12 lbs, but during the past couple weeks a significant number of larger fish have moved into Howe Sound. The largest fish I have heard of so far was a 34.5 lb taken at Hutt Island (February 23rd), but there have been several other fish in the high teens through mid-20's taken as well. While there have been a few days where 1/2 a dozen or more fish (including legal and undersize) are boated, typically we are seeing a couple legal fish and a couple undersize fish hit most days. There was a bit of a slow period in early March, but it seems as if we are progressing out of it now.......a buddy hit 3 legal, 3 undersize, and lost another 2 at Grace Islands on Thursday........ For me, spoons continue to produce better than anything else, though the Purple Haze hootchie has also been productive at times. Funny thing is that I can't seem to catch a cold on bait this winter, though I have a few buddies who are getting most of their fish on Anchovies or Herring strip. The spoons that have been producing best for me are 2 3/4" Gypsy spoons (Army Truck, Flamin' Hans), though Coyote spoons have also been good producers all winter, and don't forget the trusty old #5 Diamond Lance that produced very well during the 1990's (colours 212, 500, and 50/50 silver/brass). Most places in Howe Sound and Vancouver Harbour require you to troll your offerings within 10' of the bottom for consistent results, though at Hole in the Wall the best depths are typically between 60 and 120'. Expect the South Bowen fishery to start showing signs of life within the next couple of weeks, though it likely won't get too hot until sometime in April.

The past two or three years have provided some very good fishing at Hole in the Wall during March with a high percentage of the fish weighing from 15 to 30 lbs, so the arrival of these larger fish off the West side of Bowen Island in late February could be an indicator that we will see this Hole in the Wall fishery start up again very shortly (it hasn't yet). In addition, Vancouver Harbour continues to produce well, and we should see locations in upper Howe Sound (Defence Islands and Porteau Cove) start to pick up. Fish have been caught at Defence Islands during the past month or so, but no real numbers yet.

The winner of the second draw prize for a 5 hour charter was Pascal Riou for his charter on February 21st. I will be doing the 3rd and last draw at the end of April. Those who did charters in Nov., Dec., Jan., and Feb. will still have one entry each in this last draw and previous winners can win a second time. Those who do trips in March will get two entries into this final draw, and charters during April will get a single entry. again, this contest is only open to those who receive my e-mail fishing reports, so chances are still excellent, as there are presently very few entries in the final draw.

As usual at this time of year, I generally have most days available for charter on fairly short notice. However, I do have a few commitments already. The days I still have open over the next couple weeks are: March 18th to 20th, and March 22nd to 27th. On March 17th, it is possible I could do an afternoon charter (departure around 11:30 or 12:00). This means the Easter weekend (22nd to 24th) is the only weekend during March that I still have any open days.

In addition to the salmon fishing, my prawn traps have been producing very well so far this winter, and these critters make an excellent addition to the day's catch. I will continue to put the traps out for the next couple months, but the commercial fishery generally starts May 1st, and I keep my traps out of the water once that fishery begins.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report.

Tight Lines, and Best wishes
David Korsch

[:p]

Bump to the top.

15lb Red Feeder taken near the QB marker on Saturday around noon....

GREEN GLO Coyote...NOT the KITCHEN SINK...lol.

Bump to the top.

15lb Red Feeder taken near the QB marker on Saturday around noon....

GREEN GLO Coyote...NOT the KITCHEN SINK...lol.

Was off the Cap at first light Saturday morn, good tides to launch and retrailer that morning as well. Fished 4 lines, 3 with cut plug and managed only 2 bites with one hook up for 10 seconds before spitulla, did anyone else see the armada of police Zodiacs(8) and main boat come flying out of the Harbour??? thought Osama was out the fishing for a second. Crab traps were loaded

Was off the Cap at first light Saturday morn, good tides to launch and retrailer that morning as well. Fished 4 lines, 3 with cut plug and managed only 2 bites with one hook up for 10 seconds before spitulla, did anyone else see the armada of police Zodiacs(8) and main boat come flying out of the Harbour??? thought Osama was out the fishing for a second. Crab traps were loaded

Don't know who Mortician is but he forwarded Dave Korsh from Predator charters weekly fishing report.
Dave had nothing to do with it.

Don't know who Mortician is but he forwarded Dave Korsh from Predator charters weekly fishing report.

quote:Originally posted by tortuga

Report from Bite's On Charters

Downtown Vancouver Salmon Fishing Report

March 17 Report

Happy St. Patrick's Day for all those who are or think they are Irish !

Spring is just around the corner and the fishery has been improving over the last 10 days after a lull in the action. The largest we have heard of is 34.5 pounds caught on the West side of Bowen Isalnd! English Bay has been best around the QB marker with depths in the 100 foot to 130 foot range for the largest fish. Most of the English Bay fish seem to be Red meat Chinook with a mix of clipped and non clipped fish. West Vancouver shoreline has been very good on the flood tide using spoons and bait very close to the bottom. Punk Skunk, Cop Car, Purple Haze and glow green and white spoons have worked for us. We are starting to use Anchovy on a regular basis now as each day is different and some days they only take bait. The harbour seals are still a problem so be prepared to loose fish to these predators. For some reason they always seem to take the largest one of the day !

The West side of Bowen Island has been consistent fishery with most days producing a couple fish in the 8 to 15 pound range. But again, it's Winter fishing and you just never know. Tunstall Bay fished on the bottom with Flamin Hans, Punk Skunk, Purple Haze and Green and White glow spoons with and without flasher have done most of the damage. A few of the Howe Sounds fishers have started using bait with some good results. Hutt Island down to the waterfall is also a good place to try if Tunstall is not happening.

Standard tackle used in this fishery: Spoons, Gypsy and Gator in Punk Skunk, Flamin Hans, Purple Haze, Cop Car and Green and White have worked well for us with and without flasher. Hootchies also produce so change up your gear if you are in a slow period. Anchovy, Herring strip and whole Herring have been the ticket on some days.

We are optimistic that our healthy Winter fishery will transition into a very healthy Spring Feeder Chinook fishery in late March. Over the next few weeks we should also hear about the Horseshoe Bay area as this area seems to provide good action mid to late March and into April. We will be venturing off the South end of Bowen in no time as the the strait begins it's annual plankton blooms that mark the start of the offshore fishery. If you time it right, this can be very good 5 miles off the South side of Bowen Island. Good luck this Spring.

We now offer late Winter rates so if you want to get out at a reduced price give us a call and we will set it up for you.

Tight lines.

Evan, JohnB, Scott and Pete

http://www.bites-on.com/report.htm

Another local report...

http://www.bonchovy.com/vancouver_bc_fishing_report/salmon_fishing_report.phpBon Chovy Fishing Charters Report, March 13
The local fishery has still been productive over the last ten days. However, some days require a little more searching to locate feeding chinook salmon. The really consistent fishing we had off the West Vancouver shoreline during January and February has tapered right off over the last few days. There is still the odd fish being picked up, but the chinooks definately a little harder to come by off West Van. We have been having the bulk of our success in English Bay wherever we can find schools of baitfish. Yesterday, March 12 we found a few nice fish and were able to land an 11 pounder and a 13 pounder. My guest Richard kindly released the larger fish yesterday which is always nice to see! We have been averaging 3-6 hook ups a charter in the 5-18 pound range!

We have been hitting fish from 55 feet to 130 feet. Now that springtime is drawing near the fish will suspend more and more off the bottom. Over the last week we have had numerous hits around the 70 foot mark. Coyote spoons have been our lures of choice behind flashers.

The winter and spring chinook fishing should continue to be consistent for the next couple months. This is the time of the year that the Gulf Islands start heating up. The fishing for chinooks is often really good from April thru July. Gulf Island trip require at least an 8 hour to make up for the travel time and fuel costs. There have already been some reports of some good quality fish over there. Including a 31 pounder last week.

Crabbing in the harbour remains strong in 40-100 feet. Chicken and salmon carcasses seduce crabs quite nicely!

Give us a call to book a charter! We have some great winter rates until April 1! Call us to find out more!

Tight Lines
Jeff/Jason

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to report a 16# White Spring landing on my kitchen counter about 30 minutes ago.

OK so I didn't catch it my buddy did and he knows I love White Spring.[8D]

110' ft deep off Bowen Island somewhere.

Fishing Report, March 20

Fishing has been a inconsistent for chinook salmon over the last week.
There are some decent winter chinook around in the 10-16 pound range but some days you
really have to work for your bites. We have been hooking from 1-4 chinook salmon per
charter recently. We have been hitting the majority of the chinook salmon off Spanish
Banks and around the QB marker. Productive depths have ranged from 60-110 feet. Spoons
and anchovies have been working when you can find the salmon. Crabbing has continued to
be productive in the harbour. Crab traps are dropped on every charter!

We are expecting things to start heating up off the South Side of Bowen Island and the
Gulf Islands in the next couple weeks! These two areas are typically productive in the
spring time!

Jeff/Jason

Im going out tomorrow, so I'll post results in the evening.....

Back