2015 Amundson TMX5-Theron Review

i really do laugh at the guys spending 400$ on a reel that has cork drags and line creep with touchy drags... ive used islanders, trophy reels and i still much prefer my 60$diawa moocher m1 plus gold reels. put in the carbon fiber drags that diawa provides free of charge and theyre so smooth! no creep. no jerky drags

recently i also upgraded my halibut winches (reels) with carbon fber drags. it increased the drag numbers from 18 to 35lbs of drag, and no more line jerk when a fish runs, smooooth
these wer daiwa sealine 600h level winds.

lets see some internal picts of the reel! clicker, drag assembly...

GARY%20-%20WIN_20150719_152238_zpsiu2zlohc.jpg
I bit the bullet and bought the 10'6" thereon rods to match the reels. The rods have carbon fibre handles and eye wraps, a little heavier then I'm used to but they sure have a nice action. Now for the reels, I've only had Shimano's so that's my only comparisons. Silky smooth drag system with no creep, very impressed

Gave a Theron reel the ultimate test last week in Winter Harbour. Had the porpoises cut across the stern and then the top rod was off the pin and screaming. Peeled out a pile of line before my son learned the true meaning of knuckle busting and then on a rod exchange I was able to palm the reel and part off the mono before we were spooled. That reel was screaming and after parting off hard, the braid came back clean and the reel seems none the worse for wear. After 8 days of hard fishing at some great depths I can report really liking the no creep and overall smoothness of the reels.

how hard do you use your gear if you have to ask about warranty first
Amundson will in most cases stand behind there product
but some peoples version of warranty leaves a little to desired
it failed so I'll trash it and send it back for replacement attitude......
just so you know i have 7 tmx-5's 3 blue gold , 2 black /gold , 2 all black
only issue i have had is the drag clicker screw coming undone.
which is cured by a dab of lok-tite on the thread.

IMG_20150729_144548.jpg

how hard do you use your gear if you have to ask about warranty first
Amundson will in most cases stand behind there product
but some peoples version of warranty leaves a little to desired
it failed so I'll trash it and send it back for replacement attitude......
just so you know i have 7 tmx-5's 3 blue gold , 2 black /gold , 2 all black
only issue i have had is the drag clicker screw coming undone.
which is cured by a dab of lok-tite on the thread.

IMG_20150729_144548.jpg
Wow and your supposed to represent them ?? Check the ego at the door

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hey John I hope your not referring to me having an attitude? All I did is ask a question about warranty. I have 2 brand new ones sitting in front of me and so far I love them. You can tell they are solid and I like the handles. Nice feel to them.

Anyways I wanted to know what the warranty was because there is nothing inside the box other than the spare parts bag and the parts diagram/schematic. On the bottom of the paper it reads check amundson.ca for warranty information. I did and I can't find anything on the web page. I was hoping Robert would chime in. @StormTrooper

Last edited:
IMG_0182.JPG

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. Bottom right corner.

sorry not giving you a hard time steely Dan
just a few stories i have heard back as to what some people have done with the gear .....
with rods mainly having failure.......
and yes i proud of the gear and i try look after it as well .
and passionate about fishing
i don't get it for free neither, but i give the people back at base and on these forums honest feedback.
which is what a field tester and pro staff member should do.
there have been a few small issues and Amundson
to the best of my knowledge have stood behind the warranties on the products
what more can you ask of one of the smaller company's out there

besides the reels are now proven
and i don't know any people who have used the tmx-5
state that they have been disappointed.

Hey John I hope your not referring to me having an attitude? All I did is ask a question about warranty. I have 2 brand new ones sitting in front of me and so far I love them. You can tell they are solid and I like the handles. Nice feel to them.

Anyways I wanted to know what the warranty was because there is nothing inside the box other than the spare parts bag and the parts diagram/schematic. On the bottom of the paper it reads check amundson.ca for warranty information. I did and I can't find anything on the web page. I was hoping Robert would chime in. @StormTrooper

Hi Guy's
Robert is off the grid so I will pass the question to him in a personal PM.

My opinion is a small amount of anglers are very hard on the equipment they use to a point of neglect, abuse, respect for their gear. I was with a fella who fished for three days. The reels were wet, A thick spool of wet line, Lots of that brown goo on the line. I forgot what they call it. and then watched how he threw , banged his gear around especially when storing them he threw them on top of each other and put them in a closed container that could not breath. Now the bottomline is its his gear and he can do what he wants with them . As a Amundson pro staff I did share my views.

The majority of angler wether they have low end or high end gear often will take steps to look after their gear.

I know this doesn't explain warranty but I have seen Amundson look after anglers units that has been abused. At what point do you say no.

Robs nice enough to ask me to run gear for them time to time ,
not on the water as much as a few here perhaps , but a fare share :)
load em up , test em hard he says , , and we do ,
we put serious hours on them , ran great , no line creep ,
couple of larger hali as well on the troll , ran flawless , cleaned well , zero issues , highly recommend them
i personally run a full set of the previous tmx4's cork drags , couple of mods to the springs , LOVE them ,
support from both Rob ( PNT ) and Amundson were always quick and painless if needed ,

m2b

fd

Last edited:
3 year unconditional warranty. That's pretty good as I was expecting a year.

Back