2003 2425 Kingfisher paint

Yup.
Proper sealant on all screws. Keep up on chips, fill in with proper paint.
Same old, same old, look after your stuff and your stuff will look after you.
I don’t find it annoying or bothersome to look after my stuff, I quite enjoy it.
Me too, amazing what a good scrub once in a while does to a boat. Salt water and air is nasty to boats

I purchased some of this last week. Haven’t had a chance to apply it yet but I will before our boating season starts. I did inquire about getting the local detail shop to do a ceramic coating but the quote was close $1800.00. I’m going to go this route and just keep up on it. Helps a lot of you can get the water to run off quick and not sit on the surface. I will do the full boat maybe once a year, windows and whole machine top to bottom. Also bought the wash so it will keep it up between full applications.

Hello Scotty, I have a 2003 2450 Kingfisher and share your pain. The paint they were using back then was poor quality at best period ! Mine was a mess when I bought it with lots of paint peeling and a lot of corrosion. The clear coat was terrible as well. Trophywife is right, do a home job and with some blood, sweat and tears you will be surprised how it will turn out. I used Rust-oleum Ultra Cover Paint & Primer Semi Gloss Ivory Bisque ( Canadian Tire ) on the back of the transom below the swim grid and to touch up a few other spots. It had corroded real bad on the roof where the rod tower was mounted as well, which is common when mating stainless steel to aluminum. The Ivory Bisque was a perfect match to the factory paint. The swim platform was a disaster with both corrosion and peeling. I scraped it down to bare metal with a razor scraper, sanded, and prepped with acetone. I used Tremclad Primer and re painted with Zolatone using a roller ( Which I was told I couldn’t do ) It’s not an exact match to the factory finish but looks a lot better than it was when I got it and so far has been holding up great.. The cost of taking it into a shop to have it done is crazy, but if you are willing to tackle it yourself and commit I think you will be happy with the results. Cheers
Just bought almost the exact colour Kingfisher, but it's a 2006.

How did the paint end up holding up? Did you get it bottom painted? The factory finish looks like it has some sort of clear coat, did you use one?

Cheers

I've had my Silver Streak for 20 years. Never had it painted - never will as it is super low maintenance. One option is to sandblast it bare, polish it and leave it unpainted. May not look as pretty but will save you time, $ and labor down the road. There is a reason most commercial aluminum boats are never painted.

It's not the paint. It's the lack of prep and the fact painting aluminum is not easy to do properly. Coastal craft does it right but those paint jobs are 50-100k. Chemical strip the paint off and acid etch it. If you Mechanically remove it there will be a profile on the aluminum. Maybe if you glass beaded after stripping it would look ok.

Back