1989 suzuki 40 DT 2 stroke

spring fever

No dealers where I live in Baja. Motor runs well But after a 4 hr fishing trip-flushed it- tell tale is running cold water. Out of the exhaust is pretty hot-little white steam maybe-so thinking maybe stuck thermostat -after 2 hrs managed to get the thermostat out without breaking the bolts. Dropped it in boiling water and it opened. My Mexican mechanic says run it without the thermostat-water temp is 72 F. Is what I'm seeing normal-corrosion in the jacket looks pretty good. Is it okay to run it without the thermostat -permanently??.

C'mon guys-want to button this up-I know there is lots of 2 stroke expertise out there-throw me a bone-please!

spring fever,
suggest that you check that the thermostat opens at the correct (engine spec) temperature, just because it opens in a pot of boiling water doesn't mean that it is functioning correct. you could cycle it a few times in boiling water and cool water then re-install and try it out. this will sometimes help to correct it until you can obtain a new one. good luck and hope you are enjoying your time in paradise

bruce

spring fever,
suggest that you check that the thermostat opens at the correct (engine spec) temperature, just because it opens in a pot of boiling water doesn't mean that it is functioning correct. you could cycle it a few times in boiling water and cool water then re-install and try it out. this will sometimes help to correct it until you can obtain a new one. good luck and hope you are enjoying your time in paradise

bruce

Thanks for the thought-yes boiling water is not the spec for the thermostat-I'll give that a go. I love it here but fixing things is a little frustrating-lot of stuff turns into doing next season and limping by with duct tape and the really inventive Mexican mechnicos!!

spring fever,
suggest that you check that the thermostat opens at the correct (engine spec) temperature, just because it opens in a pot of boiling water doesn't mean that it is functioning correct. you could cycle it a few times in boiling water and cool water then re-install and try it out. .
bruce

Abl is right the thermostat opens in boiling water but the second you introduce a little cool water-it closes tight as a clam and will not open till the water is well past 200f. Good lesson. Thanks

Mike you should be able to run it without the thermostat. Had on older 9.9 merc
that I did just that for a month in Alaska. Good offer by Owen, just maybe a member
or two may be traveling down there shortly? Good luck,...........BB

Back