18' Sangster

J

Jetblast09

Been looking at one with the softtop, 140 hp inboard and Merc Leg. Are these a good boat in west coast seas? Pro's and Cons and comments please. Plan most of my fishing off otter point in Sooke and maybe a run to Renfrew.

I've owned 2 Sangsters both 20.5' hard tops, great hulls,just make sure you get a mechanic to look at the power & leg and survey the hull.

I have an 18.5' Sangster w/ 140hp inboard and merc leg. I normally fish renfrew and sooke. Great in renfrew with the swell. Its a late 70's model with custom soft top. It has seen me through some nasty stuff and handles pretty well. AS for the engine, its saltwater cooled so its very important to flush the engine when your done and pop the drain plugs in the winter. If it has points and condenser get rid of it and put in electronic iginition for 100$. I rebuilt my entire engine for about $2000 last summer; the saly rotted it out. It was hard to find a head; finally found one on eBay. Everything else I needed was readily availabe. I could ramble on about the details, so I wont. If you want to know more lemme know.

quote:Originally posted by Jetblast09

Been looking at one with the softtop, 140 hp inboard and Merc Leg. Are these a good boat in west coast seas? Pro's and Cons and comments please. Plan most of my fishing off otter point in Sooke and maybe a run to Renfrew.

Great boat in rough seas, but many of them use plywood stringers with little glass over 'em, and rotted. Get a GOOD hull survey, and if it is sound, you will have an excellent boat, hull-wise anyway.

depends, I have a "Sangster Craft" which I'm not sure is by the same manufacturer and its a horribly shallow hull. I fish out of sooke with it but when it kicks up, it can get too interesting.

My boat is a mid 70's mind you and I don't know the relation. The one thing I would mention is to make sure you see how the boat sits in the water, make sure it has a good hull that doesn't sit too low. In sooke a decent hull will make a lot of difference.

Hi there, I have a 1968 18 ft.soft top Sangster that I inherited with a slant 6 and Volvo leg.The hull is in excellent shape as I've stored it inside. The motor and the leg I wouldn't say are dependable even though there are many new components. This would make an excellent project boat with a good hull. Contact me if your interested at tufnail@shaw.ca and I'll be happy to answer all inquiries.

Back