15 lb cannonball's

Come on Rob, enlighten us, you've mentioned this "secret" too many times for someone who actually wants to keep it a secret. What is it? Or you going to make us guess...

Seems like RVP is having fun at all of you LOL LOL keep it up Rob its apperent your bugging them :D:D:D:D

wolf

I run 12 lbers. I rarely fish deeper than 150ft. If I am forced to fish slower to the wire streaming to far back, I run shorter leaders.

The heavier the weight the stronger wire you should use which in turn results in more drag. I use 150lb wire. Also more weight means slower retrieve.

I run 12 lb'ers for regular fishing and 15 lb'ers for winter springs and deeper stuff to 200+ ft. Anything much deeper then this the blow back is too much if there is much of a tide/current happening.

Long live wild salmon!!!

I used to commercial fish out of Uclulet years ago on a troller and we hauled our biggest springs offshore in 50 fathoms (300') right on the bottom using plugs, hootchies and spoons. Hot spot was called the 'duck pond' and they were stacked up pretty good out there in the beginning of the season. Our bow lines were 80lb cannonballs and some guys were running 100lb'rs. Even in the Queen Charlottes we got the bulk of our springs deep & near the bottom (30 to 50 fathoms) so yeah, they are definately down there!! [:p]

Thanks Yammy for that tid bit. Ive only fished offshore for the past few years. Im lookin forward to gettin closer to bottom as you suggest. What do you think about trolling slower to get down there, I mean even with 20 pounders, It gonna be hard to keep em down.
I usually use 15's and fish 100 to 150 ft. in about 250 to 300 feet of water and troll fast, about 4 to 6 mph. using hoochies.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Fish Lifter.......I knew that was you that blew by me in Nootka. Nearly peeled the paint off my tub.:D

Well I'm no expert on getting down that deep with 15-20lbs but if you troll a bit slower and use spoons or plugs without flashers then you'll have less resistance of course, and your gear will run a bit deeper. You might be able to work near the bottom in depths of 200' to 250' that way. Plus, it's more fun without the flasher!

- UNKNOWN -

Ps. Fishalot, that is your opinion, but has nothing to do with what we are trying to accomplish. I mostly use 15's year round, but in certain areas I fish 20's. The only time I fish lighter is when I am getting closer to the surface and even then once I am above 30ft. I prefer slip's...but that is me and not you. Cheers.;):)

[/quote]

I just think its funny you would bother to troll around with 30lb weights down. If you want to fish 300ft+, trolling isnt the most practical way to fish. Its hard enough on salmon when they are caught at normally fished depths let alone dragging them up from 300ft+. If your fishing for bottom fish why wouldnt you just bounce bottom with a weight? Not trying to be a d#ck, just think 30lbs are a bit much.[:0]

I agree with C.S.

I have let my 400 foot cables out more than once, but I don’t think I would use anymore than my 15 lb or maybe 20 lb weights and if I did… I sure wouldn’t have my booms extended! Good downriggers are more expensive then a salmon, especially mine! Need to watch your currents – close!

There is a big difference between targeting “resident” and “migrating” salmon! You really have to experience hooking a 30+ lb spring at 200/300 feet to appreciate it. There are “nice” salmon deep! And, there really isn’t that much additional stress, besides the object is - get it in the boat, kill, and eat it anyway!

There was a study by North Pacific Research Board (NPRB; 2007) that will give a good idea of how resident salmon move in the water column. Their depth data from tags indicates salmon often remain near the surface at night and move between the surface and greater depths during the day. Depth data confirmed that Chinook and Chum have deeper vertical distributions (average daily maxima: Chinook: 130 m; Chum: 58 m) than those of Sockeye (22 m), Pink (37 m), and Coho (46 m). Yes, that is in meters, not feet! They also found the temperature ranges varied widely among the water masses traversed by maturing salmon, while maximum daily depths remained fairly uniform. This indicates that salmon may choose maximum depths and not temperature ranges, and that usual depths of maturing salmon may remain relatively constant across water masses and areas. Tagged Chinook have been tracked down to a maximum of 350 meters.

Seems that Scotty should be looking into developing a heavy duty line of riggers for those wanting to run more lead. Seems they would sell a few.

quote:You really have to experience hooking a 30+ lb spring at 200/300 feet to appreciate it.

I gotta totally disagree Charlie - offshore WH 99% springs are caught 150-250' and they fight like wet rags IMO.

I'll take a 20lb caught in 60' of water over a 30lb. caught from 250' any day of the week.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:You really have to experience hooking a 30+ lb spring at 200/300 feet to appreciate it.

I gotta totally disagree Charlie - offshore WH 99% springs are caught 150-250' and they fight like wet rags IMO.

I'll take a 20lb caught in 60' of water over a 30lb. caught from 250' any day of the week.

I couldn't agree more!!

Disco down

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
Thomas Jefferson

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

“resident” and “migrating” salmon?
Winter Harbour? Most salmon caught there are "migrating"! During the summer run...? I would be surprised if you ever saw me over 100 feet!

On the "banks" south of Estevan or in Strait of Georgia... different story... I'll do whatever it takes to find the fish, and they very well could be "resident", 15 feet off the bottom and can be at 200+ feet?

And, if you think they are a "wet rags"... think again. You hook them, they shoot up like a "rocket", roll on the surface, and take off! :D

We hit most our fish between 160-270 feet this summer and normally it was one big run then drag em up.With a few fish here and there doing different things. We used 15s and troll slow 1.8-2 knots to get down.

Oh ya and we were hittin resident and migrating fish on geogria straight and offshore

Years ago while commercial fishing when a big slab would hit the deep line, he would ring the bell so hard that we thought the pole was going to break, ok... maybe not the pole, but at least we thought the slab was going to rip the tag line off. After about a 5 or 10 minute soak it was my job to start bringing up the deep line and the trick was to bring in all the lures above the slab( most times the slab would be on the bottom lure so there would be about 12 lures above him) without stopping or changing the speed of the girdes, as we didn't want to upset a fish in the 30 lb range who only has about a 60 foot line to run with. Just to let you know..... we would use 30 lb cannonballs on the pig lines (farthest from the boat) 35 lbs on the deep lines(sometimes heavier) and 50 to 60 lbs on the bow lines..... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Back