10 cent spool/line wrap

Time

Got annoyed at leader coming off the spool after breaking the elastic band.

About a foot of shock cord, piece of plastic about 1/4" wide by 1 1/2" long with three holes in it.
Shock cord goes through outer holes, feed line through centre hole.
Adjust knots for tension on cord so sits snugly on spool
Line pulls off spool easily, and if you have pulled off too much, grab one of the knots and slide around spool and it will place line back onto the spool.
Any plastic will work, as long as it is flexible enough to bend, best I've tried is cutting the end off a Zap tie.

Second picture shows same, but with brass eyelet.
If using to transfer line to reel, line will cut through the plastic zap tie.
Forgot where (or why) I originally got the eyelets, but 1/8" diameter, probably Walmart or craft store with scrapbooking supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this idea.That's using ingenuity! Never seen anywhere that stocked those brass eyelets.Probably a craft store,like
you said.

d*mn good idea,
one of those
"why didn't I think of that" idea's. might have to build me a few.

Rio does this on their flyfishing tippet spools. I'd gladly pay more for maxima leader spools if they did this. Always fighting the stupid unspooling leader spool.

When I was at ICAST a show a few years back in Vegas they had something close to that nd it had a built in cutter sort of like a dental floss cutter but it was a lil razor blade incased in plastic so you could take leader line out and cut all in one swoop maybe something you can tinker with...

good luck and great idea...

Wolf

Wolf, that item is called a Shark Tooth Line Management System.
Saw it while I was looking around the net.
Good idea but runs $4-5.00 and not adjustable to fit any size of spool.
They sell 4 different sizes for differing spools.
I like the simplicity and cheapness of the one above, set it for whatever size you want, easy to make with whatever you have handy (no shock cord, raid your wife/daughters elasticized cords they use for holding hair in place for ponytails).
Versatile too, I've used them for rod wraps to hold the pieces of disassembled rods togethor.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Back