Saltwater fishing : Derbies
Welcome to Sportfishingbc's Saltwater Sport Fishing Derbies section. Listed below you will find articles relating to some of the most popular saltwater derbies found in the coastal waters of British Columbia. Each title is a link to an article describing that specific derby. Good luck and tight lines...
2014 Vancouver Island Salmon Classic Derby
Sooke, BC - The 5th Annual Vancouver Island Salmon Classic Derby will be held Saturday, August 30th, 2014, attracting anglers from all over the world to fish in one of North America’s most fertile fishing grounds. Sooke Harbour is a prime location, known for its natural beauty and accessibility to the sparkling waters of the Pacific Ocean, where the much-desired Chinook salmon journey the depths. The quaint community of Sooke is located just 35 minutes from Victoria, British Columbia and 45 minutes from the Victoria International Airport.
About the Vancouver Island Salmon Classic - The Vancouver Island Salmon Classic will challenge anglers and crown the champions with prize money that only few anglers can imagine. Get your team of 4 together and sign up early to ensure your chance to win the top prize and the all-important bragging rights! Early entries will be $700/team, if paid in full before April 30th, 2014, and $800/team if registered before July 31st, 2014.
There will be a BBQ with cash bar and 50/50 draw at the derby with all proceeds going to the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society. Our work with the local hatchery and restoration groups will help to ensure that the Salmon populations are not overfished and will thrive for the future generations to enjoy.
For more information, please visit: www.sookeharbourmarina.ca/salmon-classic.
About Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina - Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina is proud to be hosting this exciting event for the fifth year and will be offering accommodation to contestants at preferential rates. Located oceanfront in beautiful Sooke, BC, this stunning Resort offers 2, 3, & 4 bedroom, fully furnished, fully equipped vacation homes just steps from chartered fishing, whale watching, scenic hiking, golf and much more. The Resort’s private 115 slip marina can accommodate vessels of various sizes, ranging from small crafts to those of up to 50ft.
For more information, please visit: www.sookeharbourmarina.ca.
Contact - To learn more about this event, please contact:
Nigel Keatley, General Manager
Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina
6971 West Coast Road, Sooke, BC
P: 250-642-3236 T: 1-866-616-3236
- Westview Marina's Annual Tahsis Salmon Enhancement Derby: Second last Friday / Saturday in August (Tahsis). All proceeds of the derby are donated to the local salmon enhancement societies in the area, both Nootka Sound and Esperanza inlet. Great Prizes- TWO NEW Scotty 2106 downriggers & new prawn puller, Bradley top of the line smoker, Suzuki kicker motor, pressure washers, lots of Lordco tools, & lots, lots more. Everybody gets who enters gets a prize. Visit westviewmarina.com for more information or call (250) 934-7672.
- Tofino Saltwater Classic - JULY 5-7, 2013. Hosted by the NHL's Brendan Morrison. Open to pre-registered participants. $250 entry fee includes a celebratory dinner and silent auction. Anglers will compete for up to $12,000 in cash prizes. Proceeds benefit Tofino Community initiatives. Information and Registration: www.TofinoSaltwaterClassic.com or 250-725-2035. Facebook: Tofino-Saltwater-Classic. Twitter: @Tofino_SWC.
- The Dave Nicholson Memorial Benevolent Fund Presents the 7th annual "DAVEY DERBY"
The employees of Catalyst Paper Crofton Division are gearing up for our 7th annual Davey Derby to be held at the Port Renfrew Marina on the weekend of
July 20, 21, and 22. Our derby is named after a fallen workmate who succumbed to cancer at an all too early age leaving behind a wife and young family of 4 children. Back then we decided to hold a yearly fundraiser with all the proceeds going to Dave
Nicholson’s wife Corrie and her children. This fishing derby has grown in size each year, from 15 entrants at “D-1… The Beginning” to over 200 last year at “D-6… Six in a Roe!” This derby is open to all and both mill employees, and people from throughout the southern Vancouver Island area have come to find this derby as one of the top draws at Port Renfrew and the dollars we have raised to date prove this
point. Thankfully the Nicholson family has found themselves back on their feet and
after D-3 we decided to carry on honoring our friend Dave by channeling the
proceeds from the derby to other worthy causes. Last year over $15,000.00 was raised and donated to: The Cops for Cancer, the Run to Cure Breast Cancer, Victoria General Hospital Children’s Special Care Unit, the Cowichan Valley Food Basket Society, Chemainus Harvest House, The Pacific Salmon Foundation, the Cowichan River Hatchery, The San Juan Enhancement Society and 4 families in the Cowichan Valley area who were facing difficult financial times through loss of a loved one or serious illness. We continue to grow each year and are expecting well over 275 entrants and that is why I am asking for your help. Donations to our prize table are a must for this derby to continue to grow and be the success that it has been. If you could see your way to donate to our cause, it would go a long way in continuing an event that we are proud to hold and that many people are proud to take part in.
More Details (PDF) >
Website : www.daveyderby.ca
- Wannabee Anglers Cup Invitational Fishing Tournament
6th Annual June 23-24
Location: East Sooke.
Proceeds go to the Cowichan Valley Hospice Society.
Entry fee $50
- Year Long Leader Board Derby: Jan 1-Dec. 31 - Lower Vancouver Island. No cost to enter -- just weigh in your salmon or halibut at Island Outfitters Sports Fishing Centre in Victoria. For further information contact Island Outfitters at (250) 475-4969 or visitwww.fishingvictoria.com .
- Gibbs/Nortac "Take a Kid Fishing Derby." May 1-Sept 30: Kids 16 and under, accompanied by an adult. No entry fee. Enter at participating tackle stores. Simply take a photo of kids fishing into participating dealers -- size of the fish not important -- it's the smile on the kids' faces. Kids can win one of 10 prizes -- $50 worth of tackle -- from each store! For more information contact participating tackle stores, or email Gibbs/Nortac email@example.com .
- Gold River 10th Annual Fallers Derby: May 3-5. Lots of prizes, $25 entry fee. All proceeds to local needy cause. For more info: Paul Laviolette at (250) 283-7469
- Van Isle Wallaby Club 24th Annual Derby: June 7-8. Tickets $35, first prize $5,000. Proceeds go to Salmonid Enhancement and Help Fill A Dream Foundation. For more info: (250) 598-2112 or (250) 213-6782, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alpine Juan de Fuca Salmon Derby: June 15-16. Vancouver Island's largest invitational derby. $70,000 in cash and prizes. For more info: (250) 478-6153.
The sixteenth annual Juan de Fuca Invitational Salmon Championship was another huge success! The Executive would like to thank sponsors and entrants alike for making this year's event bigger and better than ever. Not only did the prize pool come in at nearly eighty thousand dollars but our donation to salmon enhancement grew as well, with $11,000.00 being turned over to the Pacific Salmon Foundation for restoration of local salmon rearing streams and rivers. Alpine Ferry Tours came on board as the major sponsor of this year's tournament. Canadian Tire joined with Maurice Sporting Goods Distributors to light up the prize board with winning catches that were second to none. Island Outfitters, Island Yamaha and Scotty Marine Products contributed to ensure out yearly donation to salmon enhancement was not only met, but exceeded. The contributions of our local business community meshed with our nationally recognized sponsors enabling the Derby to remain "limited entry". New "friends" from all over British Columbia, Washington State, Manitoba and Ontario took part in this year's event and were delighted with their weekend in Victoria. There will be some new wrinkles added for the 2003 "Father's Day" fish off, keep your eye on this site for up-dates and information that may land you a pair of tickets for next June. Planning for our coming event is well under way and the Executive will be working to make sure that year seventeen is filled with fond memories and fish stories galore. Once again thanks to all who make this event possible!
- Bamfield Fire Department's Annual Fishing Derby: June 29-July 1. $1,000 first place, $500 second, $250 third. Lots of hidden-weight prizes. Tickets available in Port Alberni at the Port Boat House, Gone Fishin', Alberni Power and Marine. In Bamfield at Kingfisher Marina, Breaker's Marine, Seabeam Campground, and Bamfield General Store. Tickets also at Poett Nook Marina. For more info email email@example.com .
- Shearwater Family Fishing Week Derby: July 8-12. Fly-in or ferry package. For more info: (800) 663-2370 or www.shearwater.ca
- Filomi Days Derby, Port Hardy: July 19- 21. $2,500 in cash and prizes. For more info contact Port Hardy Chamber of Commerce: (250) 949_7622, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Bullhead Derby: Aug 4. For more info: Comox Valley Record News Group at (250) 338-5811.
- French Creek Fishing Festival: Aug 3-11. $2,500 for the largest Salmon, plus lots of prizes. Also the Kids Fishing Dock Derby on Aug 10, from 12:00-2:00 p.m. Lots of prizes! Weigh in at French Creek Harbour. All proceeds to Salmon Enhancement in the area. For more info contact Larry Stefanyk at Island Fisherman Magazine: (250) 248-4730,
e-mail: email@example.com , or Don Graves at Good Times Salmon Charters (250) 752-4221, firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Bite Me Derby August 10-11. Over $20,000 in prizes, Tickets for the derby should be available after July 15th. There will be up to 325 tickets available for $50 cdn. each, and will include:
A Commemorative T-Shirt & Hat,
Entry into the derby,
The Awards Ceremony, and the Bite Me! BBQ.
A limited number of additional Ceremony/BBQ tickets can be purchased for $5 cdn. in advance for your spouses, kids, or friends, if you wish to bring them along. There will be a maximum of 325 participants in this years' derby.