Saltwater fishing : Derbies
Welcome to Sportfishingbc's Saltwater Sport Fishing Derbies section. Listed below you will find articles relating to some of the most popular saltwater derbies found in the coastal waters of British Columbia. Each title is a link to an article describing that specific derby. Good luck and tight lines...
2013 Vancouver Island Salmon Classic
August 31st, 2013
The 4th Annual Vancouver Island Salmon Classic Derby will be taking place on August 31st, 2013, attracting anglers from all over the world to fish in one of North America’s most fertile fishing grounds.
This year the competition will be open to a maximum of just forty teams so make sure to sign up early. The entry fee is $500 per team, that’s just $125 per person for a team of four! The deadline for all entries is August 15th, 2013.
There will be a BBQ with cash bar and 50/50 draw at the derby. Proceeds will be donated to the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society.
Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina is committed to supporting the local fishery. As in previous years a donation will be made on the last day of the event to a local salmon habitat charity. Last year we donated $1,140 to the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society. Our work with the local hatchery and restoration groups will help to ensure that the Salmon populations are not overfished and will thrive for the future generations to enjoy.
Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina is proud to be hosting this exciting event for the fourth year and will be offering accommodation to contestants at preferential rates. The Resort is an oceanfront property offering luxury accommodation in 2 and 3 bedroom executive style townhomes, where you can enjoy the activities that the Sooke Basin has to offer year round! The Resort is located at 6971 West Coast Road, Sooke BC and the toll free number is 1-866-616-3236. Call today to book your vacation at this beautiful seaside resort which is located just 35 minutes from Victoria, British Columbia and 45 minutes from the International Airport.
To enter please contact Nigel Keatley, General Manager, by phone at 1-250-664-6715 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also get more information and enter by contacting the Resort at 1-866-626-3236, email email@example.com or by coming to see us in person between 9am and 6pm daily.
The Vancouver Island Classic is a world-class event, which will be unforgettable for the lucky few that choose to participate!
- Westview Marina's Annual Tahsis Salmon Enhancement Derby: Second last Friday / Saturday in August (Tahsis). All proceeds of the derby are donated to the local salmon enhancement societies in the area, both Nootka Sound and Esperanza inlet. Great Prizes- TWO NEW Scotty 2106 downriggers & new prawn puller, Bradley top of the line smoker, Suzuki kicker motor, pressure washers, lots of Lordco tools, & lots, lots more. Everybody gets who enters gets a prize. Visit westviewmarina.com for more information or call (250) 934-7672.
- Tofino Saltwater Classic - JULY 5-7, 2013. Hosted by the NHL's Brendan Morrison. Open to pre-registered participants. $250 entry fee includes a celebratory dinner and silent auction. Anglers will compete for up to $12,000 in cash prizes. Proceeds benefit Tofino Community initiatives. Information and Registration: www.TofinoSaltwaterClassic.com or 250-725-2035. Facebook: Tofino-Saltwater-Classic. Twitter: @Tofino_SWC.
- The Dave Nicholson Memorial Benevolent Fund Presents the 7th annual "DAVEY DERBY"
The employees of Catalyst Paper Crofton Division are gearing up for our 7th annual Davey Derby to be held at the Port Renfrew Marina on the weekend of
July 20, 21, and 22. Our derby is named after a fallen workmate who succumbed to cancer at an all too early age leaving behind a wife and young family of 4 children. Back then we decided to hold a yearly fundraiser with all the proceeds going to Dave
Nicholson’s wife Corrie and her children. This fishing derby has grown in size each year, from 15 entrants at “D-1… The Beginning” to over 200 last year at “D-6… Six in a Roe!” This derby is open to all and both mill employees, and people from throughout the southern Vancouver Island area have come to find this derby as one of the top draws at Port Renfrew and the dollars we have raised to date prove this
point. Thankfully the Nicholson family has found themselves back on their feet and
after D-3 we decided to carry on honoring our friend Dave by channeling the
proceeds from the derby to other worthy causes. Last year over $15,000.00 was raised and donated to: The Cops for Cancer, the Run to Cure Breast Cancer, Victoria General Hospital Children’s Special Care Unit, the Cowichan Valley Food Basket Society, Chemainus Harvest House, The Pacific Salmon Foundation, the Cowichan River Hatchery, The San Juan Enhancement Society and 4 families in the Cowichan Valley area who were facing difficult financial times through loss of a loved one or serious illness. We continue to grow each year and are expecting well over 275 entrants and that is why I am asking for your help. Donations to our prize table are a must for this derby to continue to grow and be the success that it has been. If you could see your way to donate to our cause, it would go a long way in continuing an event that we are proud to hold and that many people are proud to take part in.
More Details (PDF) >
Website : www.daveyderby.ca
- Wannabee Anglers Cup Invitational Fishing Tournament
6th Annual June 23-24
Location: East Sooke.
Proceeds go to the Cowichan Valley Hospice Society.
Entry fee $50
- Year Long Leader Board Derby: Jan 1-Dec. 31 - Lower Vancouver Island. No cost to enter -- just weigh in your salmon or halibut at Island Outfitters Sports Fishing Centre in Victoria. For further information contact Island Outfitters at (250) 475-4969 or visitwww.fishingvictoria.com .
- Gibbs/Nortac "Take a Kid Fishing Derby." May 1-Sept 30: Kids 16 and under, accompanied by an adult. No entry fee. Enter at participating tackle stores. Simply take a photo of kids fishing into participating dealers -- size of the fish not important -- it's the smile on the kids' faces. Kids can win one of 10 prizes -- $50 worth of tackle -- from each store! For more information contact participating tackle stores, or email Gibbs/Nortac firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Gold River 10th Annual Fallers Derby: May 3-5. Lots of prizes, $25 entry fee. All proceeds to local needy cause. For more info: Paul Laviolette at (250) 283-7469
- Van Isle Wallaby Club 24th Annual Derby: June 7-8. Tickets $35, first prize $5,000. Proceeds go to Salmonid Enhancement and Help Fill A Dream Foundation. For more info: (250) 598-2112 or (250) 213-6782, email: email@example.com
- Alpine Juan de Fuca Salmon Derby: June 15-16. Vancouver Island's largest invitational derby. $70,000 in cash and prizes. For more info: (250) 478-6153.
The sixteenth annual Juan de Fuca Invitational Salmon Championship was another huge success! The Executive would like to thank sponsors and entrants alike for making this year's event bigger and better than ever. Not only did the prize pool come in at nearly eighty thousand dollars but our donation to salmon enhancement grew as well, with $11,000.00 being turned over to the Pacific Salmon Foundation for restoration of local salmon rearing streams and rivers. Alpine Ferry Tours came on board as the major sponsor of this year's tournament. Canadian Tire joined with Maurice Sporting Goods Distributors to light up the prize board with winning catches that were second to none. Island Outfitters, Island Yamaha and Scotty Marine Products contributed to ensure out yearly donation to salmon enhancement was not only met, but exceeded. The contributions of our local business community meshed with our nationally recognized sponsors enabling the Derby to remain "limited entry". New "friends" from all over British Columbia, Washington State, Manitoba and Ontario took part in this year's event and were delighted with their weekend in Victoria. There will be some new wrinkles added for the 2003 "Father's Day" fish off, keep your eye on this site for up-dates and information that may land you a pair of tickets for next June. Planning for our coming event is well under way and the Executive will be working to make sure that year seventeen is filled with fond memories and fish stories galore. Once again thanks to all who make this event possible!
- Bamfield Fire Department's Annual Fishing Derby: June 29-July 1. $1,000 first place, $500 second, $250 third. Lots of hidden-weight prizes. Tickets available in Port Alberni at the Port Boat House, Gone Fishin', Alberni Power and Marine. In Bamfield at Kingfisher Marina, Breaker's Marine, Seabeam Campground, and Bamfield General Store. Tickets also at Poett Nook Marina. For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Shearwater Family Fishing Week Derby: July 8-12. Fly-in or ferry package. For more info: (800) 663-2370 or www.shearwater.ca
- Filomi Days Derby, Port Hardy: July 19- 21. $2,500 in cash and prizes. For more info contact Port Hardy Chamber of Commerce: (250) 949_7622, e-mail: email@example.com .
- Bullhead Derby: Aug 4. For more info: Comox Valley Record News Group at (250) 338-5811.
- French Creek Fishing Festival: Aug 3-11. $2,500 for the largest Salmon, plus lots of prizes. Also the Kids Fishing Dock Derby on Aug 10, from 12:00-2:00 p.m. Lots of prizes! Weigh in at French Creek Harbour. All proceeds to Salmon Enhancement in the area. For more info contact Larry Stefanyk at Island Fisherman Magazine: (250) 248-4730,
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , or Don Graves at Good Times Salmon Charters (250) 752-4221, email@example.com .
- Bite Me Derby August 10-11. Over $20,000 in prizes, Tickets for the derby should be available after July 15th. There will be up to 325 tickets available for $50 cdn. each, and will include:
A Commemorative T-Shirt & Hat,
Entry into the derby,
The Awards Ceremony, and the Bite Me! BBQ.
A limited number of additional Ceremony/BBQ tickets can be purchased for $5 cdn. in advance for your spouses, kids, or friends, if you wish to bring them along. There will be a maximum of 325 participants in this years' derby.
- Sidney Anglers Annual Salmon Derby - Held each spring (usually the last weekend of April or the first weekend in May). Registration is $125.00 per rod and includes dinner at the Captain’s meeting the Friday night and dinner at the wrap up banquet on the Saturday night. Tickets are available at; Trotac Marine Victoria , Sherwood Marine Saanichton, Island Outfitters Victoria, Home Hardware Sidney, Aqua Tackle Sidney, Wise Guys Fishing Supplies Colwood, or online. There are $10,000.00 in cash prizes and $10,000.00 in merchandise prizes to be won. More information is available at www.sidneyderby.com
- Port Alberni Salmon 31st Annual Festival August 30 to September 2. Daily prizes: $3,000 for First Place each day $2,000 for Second Place each day, and $1,000 for Third Place each day Grand Prize: $7,000 for the largest Salmon of the Derby! PLUS Hidden Weight Prizes. Derby Headquarters at Clutesi Haven Marina 5104 River Road, Port Alberni Tickets can be purchased by calling: (250) 723-8165 On week-ends, call: (250) 724-5223
- Esquimalt Anglers Annual Fish Ladder: The members fish-ladder derby runs from Nov 1 to Oct 31 of each year. There are prizes for the largest Salmon in each category, plus trophy for some, for each category. The categories are; Men's, Ladies, Youth (under 16 years). Have your catch weighed in, at either the Anglers' scale at the ramp or at the alternate sites: Gorge Vale Esso at 955 Craigflower or Island Outfitters at 3319 Douglas Street 02 and have the weight witnessed (preferably by a member), and report the fish and fill out an entry form at the Esquimalt Anglers' Association Club house. Phone 250-475-4969 for more information
- Annual One Day Fishing Derby The Annual Salmon and Ground fish Derby takes place on the last Sunday in August. It is open to all members of the Esquimalt Anglers Association. The minimum size (salmon only) is 5 lb. The Derby boundary is Race Rocks to Trial Island. Starting time is sunrise and final weigh-in at 3:00 pm. Prices are presented on Derby Day at 4:00 pm at the Clubhouse. Prize Categories (Men's, Ladies and Juniors) are for the three largest fish, with a trophy and personalized plaque for the largest fish in each category. There are also hidden weight prizes.
Victoria's Island Outfitters starts and ends the year with the free for fun and prizes Salmon and Halibut Leader Board. Simply weigh your catch in at Island Outfitters and the top five fish in each category on December 31st wins a prize. We are now waiting for the first "lunkers" of the season to be weighed in at the store. Maybe it will be you bringing in the big one!
Saltwater competitions kick off with Island Outfitters. For further information contact Island Outfitters at (250) 475-4969
- Just For the Halibut' Derby April 26th and 27th. Hosted by Island Outfitters, 100.3 the "Q" radio and 1200 CKXM Country, proceeds from the derby go to the Queen Alexandra Foundation for Children.
Prizes for the largest halibut are as follows:
· 1st Prize- $4000.00
· 2nd Prize- $2000.00
· 3rd Prize- $1000.00
· Extra Prize Bonus $10,000
Tickets are available at Island Outfitters (250) 475-4969, Pedder Bay Marina, Cheanuh Marina, and Colwood Food and Tackle Petro Canada.
- BC Fishing Derbies for 2003 Westview Marina's Annual Derby $2500 Total prizes
Tahsis, BC, West Coast Vancouver Island. Date: Fri. Aug 15th to Sat. 16th
Contact: Cathy Daynes Phone: 1-800-992-3252 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rosario Resort Derby on Orcas Island: March 5-7, 1998 call 1-360-376-2222 ask for Katie or Chris ($10,000.00 first prize)
- Gold River Fallers Fishing Derby: May 2,3,4 All the Lodges and cabins join in to make this event a fun time. It's a three-day weekend, with cut-off time being at noon on the Sunday. Then we give out the prizes. Each contestant pays $25.00 to enter, and the proceeds always go to a good local needy cause. The proceeds were $1000, and it went to a Gold River boy who suffers from the child form of arthritics. Thanks to all that helped to achieve this. For those of you coming in from out of town, you can camp at Cougar Creek, or book a bunk at Hoiss point Lodge, or Chinootka Lodge.
Fallers Derby Box 605 Gold River B.C. V0P 1G0 Canada Phone Paul at 283 7469 Fax 250 283 7468
- Prince Rupert Legion 31st Annual Fish Derby and Raffle June 1st & 2nd
Weigh in at Legion Held in the trophy fishing waters off Prince Rupert British Columbia, the Royal Canadian annual Fishing Derby is in keeping with a tradition of fine derbies. Many great prizes.Tickets are $25.00 and are available by contacting Art at the Royal Canadian Legion (250) 624-4141