Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiftsure Bank GPS Weigh Points

magoo

Swiftsure Bank GPS Weigh Points

Hi,

Does anyone have any good weigh points for halibut on Swiftsure Bank.
    We are fishing out of Renfrew next week and I am new to fishing this area off shore. How long of a trip is it from Renfrew? I have a 20 ft Thunderjet with a 350.

Any info would be appreciated .

The run takes about 45-60 minutes from Renfrew at 20-ish knots. Best plan is to head to the western edge of the bank and look for the crowd of boats. Note that the fog is often present and very thick and assume you are completely invisible to the traffic around you.

Isn't a ThunderJet a river-oriented boat? I'd be careful taking it out onto the bank if that's the case -- be sure you know what the weather and ocean is going to do that day as you are a long way from shore if things go bad out there.

Hey TenMile, if your boat is indeed a "river boat" might I suggest that you try to "buddy boat" with another boat..... If you don't have radar and the fog moves in, they don't call it Fogust for nothing, it is easy to lose sight of the other boats that might be out there. SS

quote:Originally posted by magoo

Hi,

Does anyone have any good weigh points for halibut on Swiftsure Bank.
    We are fishing out of Renfrew next week and I am new to fishing this area off shore. How long of a trip is it from Renfrew? I have a 20 ft Thunderjet with a 350.

Any info would be appreciated .
    Just go to the "J" bouy! But have to agree, you have "radar" ?

heres a good spot for some big hallies.12450.341 4834.271not to far from carmanah nice spot to anchor or try drifting around it with bait. a buddy gave it to me he said he got big fish around there.il get some numbers atswiftsure soon.buddy said thatthis spot hasnt been fished in awhile.

GPS coordinates might be hard to come by, not too many people will share them.

Here's a swiftsure map: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish...tsuremap_e.htm

And details of the closure: OFFSHORE (Swiftsure Bank)
    The waters of Swiftsure Bank, inside a line from 4834.00'N and 12506.00'W, thence to 4834.00'N and 12454.20'W, thence to 4829.62'N and 12443.40'W, thence following the International Boundary between Canada and the U.S. to 4829.55'N and 12456.20'W, thence in a straight line to the point of commencement, are closed to all finfish, all year.

There were probably 30 boats on the west side the weekend before last, so pretty clear where the popular spot was!

Definitely be cautious if you don't have radar...can be pea soup fog out there, and you're fishing right in shipping lanes. A friend suggested at least put up a radar reflector, so they can see you. Not that they can stop, those big freighters move FAST, but maybe they can honk the horn in time for you to get out the way. And monitor Channel 6, Tofino Coast Guard was giving warnings about incoming freighters.

Have fun...be safe!

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
    http://fishingsooke.ca

Don't go in a Thunderjet! Nice boats in the river but not suitable for off-shore adventures. Not worth to risk you life...

or risk the people who go to rescue you. mabe hire an experienced guide would be safer

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

Hey TenMile, if your boat is indeed a "river boat" might I suggest that you try to "buddy boat" with another boat.....
    Magoo has the Thunderjet, I'm a Striper fan like you