Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gopro downrigger cam

Gopro downrigger cam

Here's a couple photos of the new downrigger cam waterproof up to 180ft. It was too easy to build. One 1/4" bolt with 2 washers and a locknut. Bolts right through the existing camera housing and through the extra eyelet on the fin of the downrigger ball. Have already filmed some epic footage of chinook on the bottom in 100ft of water following the flasher/setup as well as actual strikes and hook-ups. Crystal clear hi-def footage quite bright down there too even on a cloudy day at 100ft bouncing bottom. I have mapped out striated sandstone structure covered in sea floor life. You can even make out 2 larger chinook come up from the trenches to check out the gear roll by. Also great footage on the surface when the downrigger is brought up to just above the surface and you are netting the fish beside the boat. I will be editing the videos and posting them on you-tube as I make them. Ill post a link when their up.

Cheers,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5978[/ATTACH [ATTACH=CONFIG]5977
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by fortyfour; 02-04-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Looks awesome! Kinda wish I bought one now but I'm not sure if I would trust myself to dump it over the side. I deffinetly wouldn't be dragging it along the bottom! You'll get some amazing footage in the summer but it sounds like your getting some already.

yeah its a bit scary to be bouncing the bottom with a $300 cannon ball.. It will be interesting to see in the spring how much of a difference the freshet will make for light and clarity. Right now the water is as clear as it gets.

Maybe run an extra safety line on the camera made out of spectra or the like. I'd be concerned where I drop my riggers with that on. Just my view. Great idea though. "A" for effort.
    The JDRF Ride for Diabetes- JDRF's goal is to support research aimed at finding a cure for Diabetes, a disease that effects 3 M Canadians.

well done let's get that video footage to you tube......
    so we can all see

one way to make sure your gear is working....lol

how far back can the flasher hook-set up be before the go pro can't see it

and i suppose even closer if you can get to the release clip????
    forced to work live to fish
    flying a union jack high and mighty .....lol
    88A----- john boy

With a flasher/ hootchy, 48" release clip and a 4ft drop back from the clip to flasher things are highly visible. The short drop back hasn't negatively effected performance or attention from fish either as far as I can tell so far with a few days of playin around. That 20 lber from the other day hit the gear behind the cam what must have been only 5 or so min after the battery died a fully charged battery will last 2 hrs and a 8G memory card will hold over 2hrs of footage. I have a second battery also so Im able to get 4hrs of footage/day at this point. would like to get one of their new ones as mine is one of the older models that they have hugely improved on now.

Senior Member Finished Business's Avatar
    Great innovation. Where's some footage?!....Oh just saw the link is in process. I see a number of possibilities for this setup. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Finished Business; 02-04-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    `..`. ><((((((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>
    `..`..`. ><((((((>

just waiting for some rough editing as I cant do it myself on my personal computer. The videos so far are all roughly 60 min with maybe 2-5min worth watching. should be a link posted here by weeks end.

cheers,

VERY exited to see the footage... was thinking of doing a similar set-up myself.

hey fortyfour whats the memory cards the go pro uses
    are they the same as the cell phones the compact TF flash cards ???
    forced to work live to fish
    flying a union jack high and mighty .....lol
    88A----- john boy