Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halibut fishing today

Halibut fishing today

Well we beat the weather today and managed to get some halibut quick!!

48# was the biggest , then we kept 2 small ones . One was 82 cm and weighed 17lbs and the other was 85 cm and 20lbs. the fillets when side by side You could not tell the difference so it will be interesting to see what reg they come up with for transport!
    http://www.nobananas.ca

Interesting Trev..so what's your take on the new slot rule re:fish transport - do we have to leave the head & tail intact or will we still be allowed to remove the fillets to transport home? if the later case it will be difficult for the fish cops to measure the size of the Hali.Come to think of it weren't you one of the ones who suggested we move to the slze limit.
    http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/...767#post218767
    Trev you don't suppose DFO reads our forum posts!
    Last edited by sammyslabber; 03-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Sammy thats why i started this post ! i'm not sure what the regs for transport are going to be.

I wasn't one of the guys who suggested it at all! It was a question i put out on here! and had nothing to do with it going through. We had two choices 1/1 or 1/2 with the slot you tell me which is better , but thats not what this thread is about!

Banned
    Or leave it is as is and shut down in mid july or august depending on weather, and not work within the current allocation. Dont forget that one.

Nice fish btw!

Lorne

Great post. I bet the guy that caught the 83cm was just as excited as the other two guys that caught the bigger ones. Many in this forum by the way they talk would have thrown that back. Ya right...

Senior Member Finished Business's Avatar
    2 things....

#1 the way some of you do talk, you'd think the Halibuts just JUMP right into your boat, one after the other!

#2 Fished Renfew many times, and nobody, NOBODY brings more meat back to the dock than No Bananas. Trevor, you are a pro at what you do and I have yet to see someone put clients onto fish as consistently as you and your boat. Definitely mixxed emotions when I see you at the dock...excited for all the fish, disappointed that none of them were mine! This guy F'n SLAYS em!

Good on ya for being one of the few boating em, rather than just talking about them!

Cheers!

Nick -FB-
    `..`. ><((((((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>
    `..`..`. ><((((((>

"Packaging Halibut

Halibut must be filleted in such a way that skin is left on each fillet.

Halibut weighing 14 kg. (30 lbs) or less may be cut into four fillets. The four fillets should be packaged and placed in one bag so that one bag would represent one fish.

For halibut between 14 and 34 kg. (30 and 75 lbs), each fillet may be cut into two pieces. This will result in the fish being cut into a maximum of eight pieces. These pieces should be packaged and numbered in a sequence, e.g., 1 of 8, 2 of 8, 3 of 8 etc. to indicate that eight pieces of halibut represent one fish. Skin must be left on all fillets and pieces.

For halibut over 34 kg. (75 lbs), each of the four fillets may be cut into four pieces. This will result in your fish being cut into a maximum of 16 pieces. These pieces should be packaged and numbered as outlined above. Remember, skin must be left on all fillets and pieces, and the packages should be labelled and numbered as described above.

REMEMBER: It is your responsibility to ensure the packaging will allow the species , number, size and weight to be readily determined."
    http://vasata.com/bug.gif

River Rat i know all that! i was thinking more along the lines that with the second fish having to be under a certain size i bet they make us leave it whole for measuring! as the fish i caught today were both very close to the slot size one just under and one just over, and no person could ever tell the difference between the two once fillited.

Nice job on the halibut. Makes me want to go right now, but I gotta wait till May.

As far as processing and transporting a hali 83 cm or less. Wouldn't it work to fillet the fish and just keep the whole carcass in a seperate package for proof of legal size ???

I don't know how it will matter? There is no way for a FO to tell whether the fish you have with you at the dock or cleaning table is your first fish in possession or your second fish. Your first fish can be as big or small as you want. The slot size is only an issue if you have a two day possession limit and FO's don't have the authority to search/inspect your possession fish, assuming it's packed away somewhere, without a warrant. That's also assuming you don't have your possession fish in your only cooler out on your boat with you or unpack it and wave it around, in which cases the FO's can inspect it. As such, not sure how it'll be beneficial for DFO to put any packaging restrictions on either fish. Also not illegal or unusual to buy or be given fish while on your trip and you can package that and transport it anyway you want. Burden of proof is on the Crown and they'd have to be able to prove that you caught two fish sport angling and are outside of the posted regs. Not sure how they'd endeavour to take that on. I guess we'll see as I wouldn't have thought they'd be crazy enough to adopt the slot limit so I'd say anything's possible.