Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried to transfer ownership or register a boat lately?

Has anyone tried to transfer ownership or register a boat lately?

I have inherited a boat and went to do the transfer with the executor, probated will in hand, to goverment office in Nanaimo. Once there I was informed that you cannot do this in BC, I would have to fill out a form, send the form and proof of ID with all related documents to NewBrunswick for processing.
    I was dumbfonded. We live on an island but cannot register for a K number on this side of the continent.
    The lady at the counter said it was changed about 3 months ago.
    Anyone else hear of this? Was this just quietly changed?
    I just shake my head.

Randy

That is correct, Service Canada processes all these registrations through their eastern offices.
    make sure the transfer value is nil, or you will be sent a tax bill anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years later.

It is such an honor for the west coast to receive such stellar treatment from Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by r.s craven View Post
    That is correct, Service Canada processes all these registrations through their eastern offices.
    make sure the transfer value is nil
    , or you will be sent a tax bill anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years later.
    They might send you an invoice for the taxes on the estimated value of said boat.... but then you can politely tell them to stuff it and go from there

Jus go there and say it was a freebie Randy
    Last edited by Lipripper; 02-17-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    I think holmes grabbed my junk in the "pile on" though....I found it inappropriate but I was released gently; given what we were piling on about I found it educational as to a good release. ~ Pip
    This is by far the weirdest thread ive seen on this forum yet. Ive read through some pretty intense stuff but this is just mind boggling. I also regret reading all 8 pages. ~ AquaDisiacIII

Cessation from this nation!!

Our Island as a nation would be faaarrrrr better for those of us that exist here. Managing our own resources, policies based regionally... imagine.

So sick of Ottawa I am serious.

I becha Newfoundland would still have cod had the poor bastards not been lured into confederation back in '49!!
    Gimee the gaff!!!

Hopefully we learn from others mistakes OBH
    I think holmes grabbed my junk in the "pile on" though....I found it inappropriate but I was released gently; given what we were piling on about I found it educational as to a good release. ~ Pip
    This is by far the weirdest thread ive seen on this forum yet. Ive read through some pretty intense stuff but this is just mind boggling. I also regret reading all 8 pages. ~ AquaDisiacIII

Last year we could go to Service Canada office and the person on the desk would enter the information on the computer. You would show them the bill of sale and produce your identification. A new registration would then be printed from the laser printer. Fast easy and efficient.

So now we have to go pickup some forms and fill them out. Photocopy your ID and the bill of sale and stick them in an envelope to be sent to New Brunswick.

Sounds like we are going backwards if you ask me. Perhaps this is a make work project for the post office and the office in New Brunswick. Any one know if we need to do this in triplicate? That way they could hire three people in New Brunswick to do something that was done locally by one person.

Next thing you know we will have to apply for our fishing license in PEI. Wait strike that, PEI already controls our halibut fishing. Itís the new head office of the Department of Commercial Fishers. Minister Russell Shea.

GLG

They sure make it hard to comply these days. But if it helps, here's a link to a printable version of the form so you can save yourself at least one trip.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/84..._1007-04_E.pdf

Thanks Reel Knotty you saved me a pile of work.
    GLG

Just went through this last month. Got sent from one Gov't office to the next before I finally ran into a Gov't worker that actually knew what the hell was going on with the registry changes. They had one information package (which I took) so have none left. It had the details of the new process and the application form. Still had to call them to clarify a couple things, the least painful part of the process, filled out the form, photo copied our ID's, copies of the insurance papers, bill of sale, etc. , and mailed it in. Took 3 weeks to get it back. Not bad considering you have to send it 1/3 of the way around the world and deal with the gov't. but still a pain in the ass considering it could just be entered on line at any office location if they wanted to.
    Intelligence has its limits, but Stupidity knows no bounds