Zeta Upgrade.

Labman2

There's probably not a lot of interest in this, but I'm going to document it anyways. LOL
I've been looking for a 24' - 26' Zeta, Pursuit or Hourston hull for 6 years, Kelly (Last Chance) gave me a 22' Sangstercraft about 5 years ago, it's still not completed, but most of the sringers and transom have been done.
I also pulled an unknown 20' hull back from Sooke a couple of years ago, it was going to be podded and a 250 Yami. HPDI hung off of it. I feel that it is too small for the Yami, but this Zeta is a perfect canidate!

Zeta-1.jpg

24' Zeta, with an Alaskan bulkhead.
Looks okay sitting where I bought it in Nanaimo. It's sitting on a 2006 Magnum trailer. Price was worth the drive out! $5600.00
$350.00 for the Ferry, (on and off total) and one night stay was $179.00.
Took it in to a local dealer in Edmonton, $125.00 an hour out here, new bellows, lower leg inspection, full tune-up, riser gaskets and exaust flaps.
$2100.00.
As luck would have it, the original owner, I'm #3, had the 5.0 Merc., replaced in 2000 with the newer style roller model and Alpha Gen II leg!
It has less than 300 hours on the new upgrade!

It has the original galvanized fuel tank, leaks, have to remove the Alaskan bulkhead just to axcess the thing!

IMG_0517.jpg

While I was at it, I removed the interior, sink, stove, icebox, table and seats.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

I have all new pedestal seats from West Marine to put in.

I will also be installing;
Lowrance HDS8, HDS7, Structure Scan, S.M. 2150 AIS/DCS VHF, Lowrance Broadband Radar, washdown pumps and I'm replacing all the lights with LEDs, plus running LED strips under the gunnels around the rear deck.

It has a 30" Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke as well, but it's a 1996 model and had water in the oil. Chances of getting parts for the powerhead are about nil!

I need to source some 2" alum., or stainless tubing and I will fabricate a Radar arch and a set of Rocket launchers for her.

I will add more as time passes. LOL

I'm an Industrial Const. Superintendent, I work 14 days on 7 off usually. Or like now, I take all my banked overtime off and this time I ended up with 6 weeks, without touching my 3 weeks of holidays.

your 5 year + project makes me feel better about neglecting mine for the last month or two...

looks like a fun build you got there!

your 5 year + project makes me feel better about neglecting mine for the last month or two...

looks like a fun build you got there!
I read your posts over and over.
Sculpins also, although I like the old classic glass!
First big saltwater boat I ever fished from, was a BRAND new 1973 Fibreform 24' C.C. with a 220 horse Volvo.

I have been working on all 3 this past while. (-;
Wife tells me I have to decide which one I'm going to sell!
Should have all 3 finished by this winter. Just don't have a shop big enough for any of them.
I found one about 20 minutes away, but they want $1200.00 a month + utilities! )-:

How about a few more photos, I am getting to the short strokes on a 21' Sangster rebuild myself. 1 rebuild has been a huge pile of work, 3 sounds a bit demoralizing. Which boat(s) are you keeping?

Tank is out, head liner is removed, new all round light is mounted and wired in, rotten tank support is chiseled out, side panels (trim) removed.
Most the chitty red astro-turf has been removed, I'm replacing it with a Grey indoor outdoor, this isn't on the floors, it's attached to the walls of the cabin.
Trying to find 24" wide window tint, all I can find is 20". Side windows are 20, but the Sliding glass door and the 2 side lights are 21 1/4"!
The wiring is a ****** nightmare, there's miles of it hanging under the helm. At least most of it has masking tape labels! All inline fuses, no fusebox!
Going to wire it properly. Fuse box and ground terminals! 14-2 tinned wire from the battery switch to the helm.
Not sure which boats yet, I have a strong running 165 chev 6 and leg for the unknown hull, might pod the Sangster and hang one of my 250 Yami's off it.
I'm still designing a 6" lift for the cab on the Sangster. I was going to put it above the glass, but now I'm thinking I should just raise the side rails.

More pics tomorrow.

Nice looking rig, you will have a great fishing platform when your done. But 3 boats! REALLY?? My wifey would rather me have one boat and two mistresses as it would be cheaper!

I quit drinking 20 years ago, just after we got married, quit whoring and riding Harleys a short while after that! LOL
She doesn't rag on me too bad anymore, 3 boats isn't all that much, she's #5 wife!!!!!
I had her out fishing with Last Chance a couple of years ago, she loved it!

I also raised the roof of my Sangster, I went up 4" below the window frame. I made up a plywood box that goes between the glass frame and the fiberglass of the boat. The oval openings are to provide access for the T bolts to secure the alum window frame.
Alan

Attachments

• sangster July 18 001 (640x480).jpg
    sangster July 18 001 (640x480).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 617
I glassed the 3 pieces before I installed them. I also filled and sanded the outside faces before I bonded them in place. They are attached with PL glue and screws from underneath. I then ground down the corners so I could tab the 3 pieces together. Seems plenty solid. I still need to fair the corners before prime and paint. I am going to paint the whole boat out in Endura epoxy paint.

I had a 96 mercury 9.9 and the water jacket on the exhaust side of the cylinder head went. I looked all over for the unit as it to was a yami. Finally had to breakdown and buy a new motor.

I had a 96 mercury 9.9 and the water jacket on the exhaust side of the cylinder head went. I looked all over for the unit as it to was a yami. Finally had to breakdown and buy a new motor. The old motor was in great shape except for that.

Been sorting out the electrical the last few days.Installed a set of "Faria" gauges, LED lights and a Marinco "Guest 2620A" battery tender, it has outputs for two batteries at once, @ 10amps per side.
I discovered the hull has 2 Armar through hull transducers also, the starboard one is at a bit of an angle, has a speedo wheel and is multi pinned on the cable, the port side shoots straight down but has only 3 pin holes. Not sure what electronics they were for, but I'm leaving them for now, I will remove them when I get it ready for it's new paint scheme this coming winter.
Still waiting on the Alum., to be sheared and broke for the fuel tank, trying to source the alum. for the radar arch and rocket launchers.

I'll get some pics up later today.

hearing about your build progress in the other thread....I believe later today was some time ago..

Red faced blush.
Got way too involved with other nonimportant things, like work and keeping the wife happy.
The rewiring job was a real time killer, between that and having to order all my aluminium from B.C., really set my schedule back.
I got all the electronics installed, just in time to remove them so the led screens wouldn't freeze! LOL
There's about a foot of snow on it now!

I was hoping to have it ready for some deep water lakers at Cold Lake by Oct., that didn't happen, still trying to rent a shop to move it and the 20' unknown hull into, so I can finish off some of the little stuff.
We had a bi88h of a hail storm here in Late Aug.. I had my bulkhead sitting out and all the safety glass and one of the panels were destroyed, over $600.00 to replace that glass, plus the slider on the port side of the cabin was cracked, I will be replacing both sides of the cabin windows with 1/4" Lexon.
Working those wonderful 24 on 4 off shifts kinda screwed with my plans for anything so far this year!

Really need to take some photo's.
Had it in Lessor Slave lake last summer, but she's a dud. I think she's water logged! Tried 4 different props, never did get it to plane.
When I had the floor cut open to do the fuel tank, the foam was dry there, but she sits tail heavy, going to have the motor pulled and cut the transom out, I did a drill test and found that the transom is wet!
Once that's done, I'm getting rid of it, Aluminum hull on the horizon!!

Back