Zeballos tips

frango

I'm planning a fish trip to zeballos in a couple of weeks.I usually fish barkley,renfrew or nitinat but thought I would try some place different.I picked up a chart but any tips on fishing spots, dangerous spots or whatever would be appreciated.

How big a boat? There's some wicked water offshore, but nowhere you'd want to be if she's snotty!

Wondering,
Nog

Thanks RVP but I would prefer the west coast.The fishing is really secondary as my frezzer is just about full anyway.I was out in Zeballos for business (unfortunatly for a murder)and was told by many people that the outside is just beautiful.So the bottom line is fish if I can or just enjoy the trip. I would however like more water info.ie prawing,crabbing ,what to expect wind wise etc...

I've fished offshore several times from Zeballos and if you've fished Renfrew or Bamfield, you will find that the conditions are no better or worse than Zeballos. If you trailer up to Fair Harbour there is good spring fishing around the barrier islands and try about 150' deep outside of Thornton Island for hali's. The best spot is a reef about 6 miles offshore - straight out from Thornton Island. It shallows up to about 190'-200' deep here. Drop your cannonball down to the bottom and then bring it up a few feet and wait for the action. Use any color of flasher with a plain white hoochie or any other hoochie that is light colored or glow. You may get a hali, big spring, or a big linger. You also have a good chance of having a hit on the way down as you go through the coho. Best time is early morning - try to leave at first light.

There will be very few other boats in the area, with the exception of the Murphy guide boats.

If you don't want to make the trip to fair harbor, fish in the area around Port Eliza, and fish in and around Pin Rocks. Try 20-30 feet deep anchovies and army truck hoochies have worked for me.

Hope this helps!

I prawn, therefore I am.

Thanks bob w very good info and much appreciated.Hopefully the weather is good and the swells/chop at a mininium.

If you plan on fishing the Esperanza Inlet side, usually the best bets (weather permitting) are Pin Rock and Ferrier Pt. Anchovy or cutplugs usually the best.

If you plan on fishing the Esperanza Inlet side, usually the best bets (weather permitting) are Pin Rock and Ferrier Pt. Anchovy or cutplugs usually the best.

Thanks all ,I have been and we did very well.Biggest spring 38 off pin.Weather was just great and the chuck like a mill pond.

Thanks all ,I have been and we did very well.Biggest spring 38 off pin.Weather was just great and the chuck like a mill pond.

Frango, I,ve got the same boat and I also like to fish the west coast. I will be taking my Malibu 182 to Kyuquat on the Aug long weekend. As long as you are careful and pay attention to the weather and have good safety equipment and sense you can enjoy some awesome fishing. 38-nice fish!!

Frango, I,ve got the same boat and I also like to fish the west coast. I will be taking my Malibu 182 to Kyuquat on the Aug long weekend. As long as you are careful and pay attention to the weather and have good safety equipment and sense you can enjoy some awesome fishing. 38-nice fish!!

You must be a very wise person If you bought a Malibu.They are great boats.A good boat and common sense will keep you safe.Don't forget your GPS.Watch the fog and take some compass bearings.PS take extra chovies the coho will clean you out.

You must be a very wise person If you bought a Malibu.They are great boats.A good boat and common sense will keep you safe.Don't forget your GPS.Watch the fog and take some compass bearings.PS take extra chovies the coho will clean you out.

Back