Your thoughts?

The Japanese have huge hatchery programs for Chum Salmon, with very small Pink Salmon enhancement as well...their Chum salmon output is in the millions of fish, many millions....all of which go over to the Bering Strait and Gulf of Alaska to rear. They have large fisheries for those Chum when they return, they are a valued commercial fish and the main stay of their salmon fishery. The open Ocean drift net fishery has been strongly reduced thanks to the efforts of the North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission.

Traveller

Yes. I was aware of that, but did you know they also take a large chunk of the Chinook from the Bering sea?
It's good that they were involved in keeping their own food source healthy, but I wonder what state those programs are in now after the devastation?
Does anyone know?

Don't think he means they come right over to offshore VI...he's talking about middle of the ocean where the salmon migrate through and where japanese floating nets are well known to be deployed by the jap fleet...killing many many salmon before they come back to the mainland of north america...so they could easily be BC fish as well...I think it will have an impact on stocks but the size of that impact is what I have no idea about...it will be positive however :) The Jap market is full of salmon, and its not salmon they are buying from us, but that of salmon they catch themselves...

Thanks for seeing what and where I am going with this.

They have "stopped" the drift net fishery as far as authorities know, but does that mean there's no Japanese vessels that are operating unethical? In all honesty the Japanese are a tad bit sneaky no disrespect to anyone. The pacific is far bigger than it looks on a map.

They certainly aren't following the rest of the world with whaling, so why would they care much about salmon stocks that aren't theirs if it means dollars?.
It's not only the potential for them to catch our fish, but the fact that Russia is raping the northern fish, and selling them to the Japanese now too.
Scientists have a broad idea the maximum distance our fish travel but do they know exactly? So far I have not gotten a satisfying answer from some of our top scientists that even they truly know 100%.

Who are the scientists you are talking to .org?

Some of the ones who worked for DFO
and a couple independent who have marine biology backgrounds.
Just trying to piece what I can together for my own mind what is really known, and what is speculation?.
Curious more than anything what all other than what we think is obvious could be in play with declines / rises in stocks.
We know about ISAv, and we know about warm water in the watersheds when levels are low, we know about potential radiation, global warming trends, and we know about cycles, but is there more to it all?
Our oceans seem pretty fragile when you view it from a complete global scale. So far we have it really good over here, but for how long?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back