Your thoughts on a new Engine

flytyer

Looking to repower a 21foot 2002 trophy, have a chance on an 07 optimax. Pulling off a 120 piece of junk. only diff is the weight, will add an extra 60lbs.

So here it is. lets hear all the good about this and yes the bad.

[8D][8D]

I would say Yamaha 150 4-stroke. A buddy of mine has that setup and its pretty sweet!

Repowered our 21 foot trophy this past spring and went with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. The engine works very well.

Cloud

Just to add to this topic, sounds like most people are opting for the 4 strokes over the new 2 strokes, any reason why? Reliability, maintenance, fuel efficiency etc...

i am not an expert on engines...but i have found the 4 stroke to be better on fuel, quieter ( esp at lower/trolling speed ), no oil to worry about, and no oil smell when the engine is operating.

Cloud

I don't know much about the new 2 strokes (i.e. 2nd gen HPDI models, etc). Personally I wouldn't get one because they haven't been out long enough to know their reliability. Historically 4 strokes, while heavier, have more longevity then 2 strokes as the the power stroke is every 4 strokes, not 2 like a 2 stroke. Just my 2 bits.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

Is the 4 stroke that much better a motor when you look a the price differance.The extra price of a 4 stroke can buy a lot of gas plus the extra maintance{oil changes and filters}. As a main motor that doesn't see as many hours as a kicker.Any comments.

Hey Flytyer, I also have 21 ft trophy, I repowered it april 2007, it had the factory 120 force anchor! Anyway I put a 1997 merc 175 hp 2stroke on it, it has lots of power and I've had no trouble with it, it's sweet spot is 30mph at 4200 rpm,only problem with it is I burn 60 ltrs an hour ouch! So if I had the money I would go with a 200 hp Yamaha 4 stroke, because the trophy is such a heavy boat, I believe my manual say's 2800 lbs add 82 gallons of fuel which is what around 800 lbs plus gear and buddies it adds up real quick. Hope this helps.

Cheers

these recent optis arte some of the best and most reliable engines on the market, go for it!

I have an opti 200 so I can speak with experience. These are not your typical 2 stroke engines but the new generation direct fuel injected dfi, not efi or electronic fuel injected. They start like a car and idle smooth all the time and have no blue smoke like the older 2 strokes. you can idle all day on them if you want and they get similiar fuel economy to a 4 stroke and a lot more power to weight. The fuel and air is injected by the computer at about 80 psi and at idle the mix is something like 100:1 so they burn very clean. My 200 pushes my boat up to 45 miles per hour and at cruise burns about 35 miles per hour burns about 35 litres / hour.

The Yamahas are very good motors and popular so they help in resell as most people recogise them as excellent motors but i did not buy one for my boat because the 150 yamaha weighed similiar to a 200 opti but was underpowered and the 200 /225 yamaha was too heavy.

The 150 yamaha would be a good motor for your trophy but don't discount the opti, they are great engines.

good luck

viewitall I would rethink the 200hp 4-stroke, as I have seen that boat with a 150 and they sit a bit heavy in the rear. Just my opinion on that though. Yours might be different.

60 liters per hour? [:0]

I'm looking to buy a 20/21' boat and was wondering about the fuel consumption on 2 and 4 strokes. I guess a 200hp yamaha 2-stroke is going to burn some fuel. I've heard a 4-stoke will use about 30% less fuel and last longer. I guess the number of hours you plan to put on the motor becomes a factor.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

What boat are you pushing with the Opti, Marula?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Thanks Gone fishin, Im sure mines the same as every other trophy. 35 ltrs an hour WOW that's great fuel economy marula, is your boat glass or aluminum and what year opti do you have? Thanks

Wow marula I still can't get over that your boat burns 7.699 canadian gallons per hour and my friggin pig's burning 13.198 that's ridiculous I'm so deppresed now ha ha ha, oh well whadya do?

I have a 18 ft trophy and just put a 150 yamaha on last winter I figure I burn 4-5 gallons an hour. and have a 9.9 high thrust on the back as well. I had a 115 mer on the back before. I think you will be happy with the 150 if your coming up from a 120. If you are going to get one check down in the states. i got mine in oregon and saved at least $6500 than up here. and it came with 6 years warrenty. if you don't want to go yamaha. try the etec by evinrude

its a 21.5 campion explorer. Those numbers are off the computer and are at its sweet spot. If i hammer it to 45 miles / hr the fuel burn is just about double to 70 litres / hour ! The motor is a 2003 opti 200 so at cruise its not working very hard and it also has a 4 blade revolution 17 pitch which is at the top end of pitch for me. My hull also has a moderate deadrise of only 18 degrees so it pushes easy. Some thing more agressive like a hurston or double eagle slices more water and would burn more fuel.

Now on a side note, if you go the opti you will have to make sure you upgrade your battery system to 1000 mca as they really need the juice to fire up the air compressors and electronics in the engine.

The fuel economy between the DFI optis and older EFI's or carburated motors is about 30 to 50 % better.

Back