Your help, please: planning a stag weekend

T

tightjer

Hi,

My good buddy is getting married and I'm helping to plan his Stag. Our top idea at the moment is a fishing charter in Sooke or Renfrew in late April or early May. We're looking at 12 guys, so I'd assume about 3 boats.

Since you folks are the experts, I thought I'd come to you with some questions:

- How good is the salmon fishing in Sooke/Renfrew in late April/early May?
- Can you recommend any charter companies that can accomodate up to 12 people (at a reasonable cost)?
- Any recommendations for accomodation in the area? (Probably a big cabin with a few bedrooms)
- Any other thoughts/tips?

Thanks all!

Jeremy

That time of year is not too good for salmon in either location but...
Halibut should be in full swing.
I would change your quarry and target flatfish.

Last year april and may the salmon was great in reny hopefuly will be the same with the large columbia run expected.But for sure halli will be full on.

Hey Jeremy,

I got married two years ago and had the same idea, a fishing stag. I did the research and best DEAL for a stag group is the barf boats in Ukee. When I say deal I mean money wise. Other companies like Mills Landing in Bamfield have nicer lodges but tend to cost more. I know Ukee is out of your way location wise but I figured I should throw it out there.

We went in late May and all of the 17 guys BUT me caught fish (I was too busy drinking). Most guys 2 - 3. There were plenty of hali and black cod and about 6-7 nice salmon landed.

If I remeber correctly we paid $250.00 per person and it included air fare from Vancouver, two 8 hour fishing trips, breakfast and a box lunch and a room to stay in. Dinner and booze were extra.

although 14 of the 17 guys were chumming the water hard all but one want to go back and do it again.

if you have any questions let me know.

striper1.jpg

For sure the Ukee Princess boats are good value, low price, all inclusive, pretty easy. The fishing can be a bit of a gong show though, especially if it's rough. Depends on how hardcore anglers your group is...if happy with a half day on the water and good enough to maybe catch a fish, then that's a good option. If more seasoned anglers with expectations accordingly, then maybe not. However, both Renfrew and Sooke are more DIY than the Princess package for accommodations and fishing...for better or worse.

I usually consider May to be an iffy time of year for salmon, but looking back on the report archives last year, it was excellent -- maybe even better than the so-called August "prime time"!

Renfrew will run you a little more money than Sooke for the charters, especially if you want to get out to Swiftsure Bank. However, you might save some on accommodations....there's a variety of "cabin in the woods" type places out there. For charters, there's a few bigger boats that can accommodate 5-6, but mostly they limit at 4 -- so you'd likely need 3 boats.

Sooke's appeal might be a shorter run to chase salmon and a shorter fishing day...and at least 1 or 2 more places to visit from in your pub crawl....list is shorter in Renfrew ;)

Send me a PM if you want more specific info.

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/juandesooka

That's what we did for my stag.
It was great! Nice to be a passenger on the boat instead of the captin. $20 in the hat derby with winner take all just for fun.:D
We had a cabin the night before and 4 boats in the am.

Only thing I would do different is fishing first then party night. It was a tough go the next day on the boats for some guys.[xx(]

Good luck with this. Some good advice will come through some of the members here. Could be a good time of year to get a good package deal.

Tips

I would give Rocky Point Charters in Bamfield a call! Great new lodge right on the water and awsome in almost any weather early season fishing!!! Huge private guest quarters! (check out "Bods"reports on the Barkley sound thread).
Tightlines!!!kronic

PS You can drive right to the front door!

You might want to check on when the Princess boats start operating.I work up in Ucluelet a lot and if I remember right they didn't start operating until somewhere about the 1st of June.
Dave

I actually had my stag up at the Canadian Princess also. It was a blast as all of us could fish off the same boat. Fishing wasn't the greatest but a fun time. I've also fished on the Barf boats in late May in 2007 and 2008 so they generally open May 1st. They usually have some specials for May so you may want to give them a call to see if you can get a package deal. Make sure you stay on the "shore" accomodation rather than on the ship cabins.

Make sure to avoid the greasy breakfast and not to get too drunk the night before [xx(]...or you'll be paying for it on the water.

http://www.canadianprincess.com/

these guys may work as well out of Victoria - they took out one of our large sponsor groups for our derby last year and apparently had a blast. Halibut may be the way to go out at Constance and they can cater to whatever you need without the barfing potential.

http://www.fantaseacharters.com/index.html

That was the first time I had heard about them and the group loved it - dats all I know though, but the price is probably right at $80 each for a 5 hour fishing charter (if you went that route)....

Some of you may think I have lost my mind by suggesting a trip to Vancouver but Vancouver usually has amazingly good Chinook fishery in late April out near the Hump off Bowen. No big swells like the WCVI, usually decent weather with often calm seas, and top notch guiding operations close to the fishing grounds. Lots of possibilities for your night life too, the only draw back is accomodation prices can be high if you choose 5 star hotel.

I would check out Ucluelet as well, Westcoastfish.com operates 4 grady whites out of there and Pacfifc Rose Cottages has a house you can rent for 12-14 people for 160.00 a night. The fishing is more expensive but you will get your springs and hali guarenteed. Check it out, that is where my stag was.

Back