Your First Fish and Your most exciting fish

I think we all need a distraction from the politics that have taken over this forum. So for my first post I thought I would tell you all about the first fish I caught as well as the most exciting fish I caught. Hopefully a few others will share their stories and we can all get back to talking about fishing and getting excited about the upcoming season.

The first fish I can remember catching was in brentwood bay. We were trolling in one of those rental putt putt boats we had two regular rods out and my dad put my lake rod out the back with a small 3 inch pink tomic plug on it (I still have it today).

I remember the rod bouncing and as I reeled in I could feel the fish tugging. I was only about 5 at the time and even though the fish was just an undersized salmon that we put back it left a lasting memory for me.

My most exciting fish was caught last year fishing out of Sooke. I was fishing otter point with my friend Wayne who was new to fishing. I had done well at this spot a couple of weeks before but on this day there was not much bait showing and nobody seemed to be catching anything. I decided to troll up towards sheringham point.

As we passed Muir creek the fog rolled in. My friend wanted to turn around and stay in the clear but I told him we should just head into it as you’re not really fishing Sooke in August if it isn't foggy. It didn't take long in the fog before my rod went off. I grabbed it, offered the fish to my partner and set the hook. As the fish took off I realized it was a nice one but passed the rod off anyways. The battle began and my newbie fishing partner was into his first big chinook of the year. It took about 20 minutes before we first got the fish to the boat. It slowly circled the boat and then took off crossing under the bow making Wayne do some fancy manoeuvres to get the line back on the other side of the boat where the fish was. Slowly he coaxed the salmon back to the boat and again it circled us. This time it dove right under the boat taking the line back towards the motors. I instructed him and expertly Wayne put the rod deep into the water to bring the line out behind the motors and again be on the same side as the fish. I was impressed I couldn't have done it any better or faster myself.

The fish was tired now, the fog had broken and we had drifted a ways back towards otter point. For the third time the fish was coaxed back to the boat and by this point it had used up all of its tricks. I dipped the net into the water and the fish was captured. We weighed it back at the dock, 27 pounds.

I have lots of great memories between my first little salmon and that 27 pounder that we got towards the end of last year. It's those memories that I like to focus on and those memories are what gets me really excited about making new ones this year. Already 2012 has started out great with a limit of winters on one trip in January, a freezer full of prawns and two Halibut on March 2nd one being over 70 pounds. There is a lot of doom and gloom out there regarding fishing in recent years and it can be hard not to get caught up in it. Even so I think we can all agree there are still some great opportunities to catch world class fish in our local waters.

My first fish was a brown trout from a little creek near our home, caught when I was about 5, as well. My future brother-in-law took me fishing that day, made a big deal of my catch - what a wondeful fish! - and had me hooked for life. I went home, as proud as any little kid ever was.

My most exciting fish was last spring, when my 3 year old grandson caught his first fish, a pretty little rainbow. He took it home to great praise from his Mom and twin sister. And so it continues.

I'll play.

My first salmon I can remember, I was also 5 years old. My Dad and uncle had just recently put a float home in Barkley Sound, it was 1967 and this was my first trip to this new cool place that later played a HUGE part of my life. I honestly don't remember where exactly around our cabin I caught the fish, but it was a small Spring salmon of about 4 pounds. We bonked it, (pretty much everything was bonked in those days) and I was never more proud. Many more great moments happened for me at that place, hopefully there will be more soon. ;-)

Of late, perhaps my most memorable fish was taken just last Summer near the mouth of the Big Qualicum river. I spend two weeks there with my family every summer at a beach cabin I rent from a buddy. We always take a 12 foot tinny along just to do some messing around and wet the odd line here and there. Jigging is the preferred method.

So one day last summer I took my 9 year old daughter and a family friend out in the tinny, we were nearing the end of our two week vacation here, some others I had taken out had hooked a nice Spring each. My smallest girl had yet to catch one, in fact, she had never caught a salmon before. This was certainly her day...

After dinner we pack the tinny and the 9.9 to the water's edge and launch, off we go for the 5 minute ride to the Big Q. We get to the spot I like to start and the first order of business is we hook up a depth sounder. My daughter turned it on and after a few seconds said, "look Dad, the sounder says there are some fish right below us." "Drop your lure to the bottom quickly and reel up about 5 cranks I said". She did as I said and before I had the other rod ready to go, as she was making the 5 cranks on the spinning reel, the rod took a sudden heavy bend.

We had hooked a lot of dogfish in the previous days, my daughter said, "Dad, I have another dogfish on the line." I looked down at her line and saw it ripping quickly for the surface, I said, "that's no dogfish!!" And the fight was on.... I honestly wish I had video of the next 15 minutes and the struggle this little gal went through. :eek::D

The fish peeled a pile of line off the reel two times, my daughter did have some help from our friend, but she just held the rod up, my daughter did all the reeling. The depth sounder was one of those fishing buddy rigs with the piece of plastic PVC pipe hanging off the bottom of it with the transducer in the end... as the battle was nearing the end and the fish had one last gasp of energy, the line became entangled around the PVC pipe off the bottom of the sounder, the fish went for another spirited yet short run. The line ended up cutting into the PVC pipe and thankfully didn't break. On the next pass by the boat, the old man slipped the net under my daughter's first salmon....

I picked up the net and dropped the fish at her feet, the look on her face was priceless, absolutely completely blown away at the size of this fish. After a few seconds of awe and some quiet as the three of us digested what had just happened, there was much high fiving and jubilation. I reached into the tackle box and pulled out one of those old rusty spring loaded scales and weighed the fish, 28 pounds of fighting fury. :) She instantly wanted to pack up and head for shore to show mom but... hell, we had just started the night of fishing. haha Anyway, no more salmon were hooked that eve but nobody cared, we all had perma grin from what had already happened.

No doubt one of my more memorable fishing moments, certainly my daughter's. She'll remember that for the rest of her life as a vivid memory long after I'm gone and dead in the hole, and nothing makes me prouder.

IMG_6561-1.jpg

Great story. Some times it's not about the fish we catch, but the first fish that are loved ones or friends catch.

Most exciting fish

I was jigging for herring @ Active Pass, back in the day. felt the tell tail hook up taps started to reel it up from aprox 30ft down
Then all of a sudden the line peels out of the knuckle buster & knew that this was not just a herring
If you know a herring jig, it is tied mainly on maybe 10lb mono & the 10 tiny hooks are spaced evenly
Whatever was on the line fought like a champ, so knowing that my jig rig was light tackle I played her out. 15min later I landed a nice 18lb Chinook & 4 live herring still attached the other hooks were tagged all around the Salmon
This story will B forever embedded in my memories

Kh

Great story. Some times it's not about the fish we catch, but the first fish that are loved ones or friends catch.

X2 - the most fun is watching the joy of others catching fish - especially the kids! These days it's more important than just as a hobby.

Most exciting fish

Whatever was on the line fought like a champ, so knowing that my jig rig was light tackle I played her out. 15min later I landed a nice 18lb Chinook & 4 live herring still attached the other hooks were tagged all around the Salmon This story will B forever embedded in my memories
Kh

Now that's fishing! Great story, Kh.

X2 - the most fun is watching the joy of others catching fish - especially the kids! These days it's more important than just as a hobby.

I am taking my kids out this weekend to Lafarge Lake (stocked lake in coquitlam). They are 4 and 3 years old. This is their FIRST time fishing, and I think I am more excited than them!
My first fish ever was ice fishing with my dad and grandpa in Northern Ontario. My gramps had just checked a line, said nother was on but that I should watch it cause it felt lucky! (I was 5) I ran over and Bingo, like magic, there was a trout on! What a rush. Only later in life did I clue in to the fact that gramps knew there was already a fish on. Since I had caught the only fish that day, we created a "SKUNKED" trophy for my gramps. That trophy still exists and has been passed around the family many times:)
My favorite fish was last year at Langara island. I was in a derby on the last day. It was my dad and I on a guided boat in Bruin Bay (known for less fish but bigger size). There was a 2 way tie for first at 34.5lbs. We had just come back from a between tides lunch, and 5 minutes into our drift, whamo! My rod pops, I grab it and set the hook. Just a few seconds after, my dads rod pops, he sets the hook too. (on the same side of the boat). Turns out the same fish took 2 baits! Laurie (unbelievable guide!) then started barking orders. I had the fish in the mouth, we didn't know where my dads was hooked, so he had to mirror everything I did but without any real tension on the line. We were doing a real dance, over under around ect ect. I finally had to look at my dad and say "dad I appreciate that you have been there for me my whole life, BUT, sometimes you just have to let me fight my own battles"! Laurie bust out laughing as did my dad. It broke the tension! We got the fish in, a real beauty, and raced back to the dock. Wouldn't you know it, it was now a 3 way tie at 34.5. We all split the derby pot! I was thrilled that my dad was there and involved in my largest salmon to date!

There are some great stories so far. Hopefully we can get a 10 page topic of fishing discussion instead of all the huge political threads going on right now.

Kildonan I can relate to your story. When I was growing up my family always rented a cabin in Bowser just up the beach from the big Q. We always went in early July so the salmon were not staging off the river mouth yet but we used to be able to catch lots of coho out in the straigh in the early 90's.

We too would go out in a small boat and jig in the bay no more than 100 yards off shore. I can remember catching a few salmon but they were scarce we mostly got dogfish. One time we were jigging in a canoe and I had a huge hit. We were in about 20 feet of water and by the time I set the hook the salmon was thrashing right beside the canoe then it took off. It took a couple of huge runs and I knew I had a monster. This was re confirmed when a seal poked his head out of the water with my fish hanging out of it's mouth. I was about 14 and this was the biggest salmon I had ever hooked, and now a seal had it. My dad and sisters were on shore watching the battle with binoculars. My friend and I took turns fighting the seal while slowly it pulled us out into the straight. No matter what happened I was not letting this fish go.

My friends dad was out in his tin runabout and he started to run at the seal everytime it popped it's head up. This went on for a bit and the seal was getting tired, unfrontunetly it was also getting dark. My friends dad started to back off a little he wanted to scare the seal but the seal was getting slow and he was worried he might actually hit it. The seal was not giving up. After all this my friends dad said he wanted a turn on the rod. He reeled and broke it off.

I guess he knew I was never going to let that fish go and he decided it was time to pull us in and get back home before it got really dark.

I have a lot of great memories from that little cabin on the beach. It was an A frame and had no power so it was like camping in a wooden tent. It is a real shame the coho and chinooks do not run through there like they used to. The Big Q still gets some good returns in late August but you used to be able to salmon fish there all summer long with coho's starting in June and cowichan river chinooks mixed in. Now of course most of that area is closed and all those summer coho's that used to go by just dissapeared.

That's a good story, Hook.

When I was young we used to stay at Bowser Bills every summer for 2 weeks, late 1960's early 70's. I loved those days of catching endless coho on bucktails. I think this is why I take my kids back to the same spot, all the happy memories. The fishing is not what it was certainly but there is something special about this part of the Island for me, I plan on retiring there. And honestly, I still see some coho moving around as I sit in my lawnchair at the cabin staring out in the straits at that intoxicating view.

I am taking my kids out this weekend to Lafarge Lake (stocked lake in coquitlam). They are 4 and 3 years old. This is their FIRST time fishing, and I think I am more excited than them!
... I was thrilled that my dad was there and involved in my largest salmon to date!

Good luck with the fishing and the kids, stones! Those are the shining times that leave epic memories in their wake, for all of us . Not getting too sentimental but when my old Dad was dying many years ago, he, my 2 brothers and I spent many delightful hours reminiscing (while drinking Lamb's Navy, of course) about being kids and fishing with him. That's how I want to go out. The political B.S. comes and goes - those great memories of the happiest times stay. Thanks for sharing.

That's a good story, Hook.

When I was young we used to stay at Bowser Bills every summer for 2 weeks, late 1960's early 70's. I loved those days of catching endless coho on bucktails. I think this is why I take my kids back to the same spot, all the happy memories. The fishing is not what it was certainly but there is something special about this part of the Island for me, I plan on retiring there. And honestly, I still see some coho moving around as I sit in my lawnchair at the cabin staring out in the straits at that intoxicating view.

Right out of a Keith Hiscock painting... After that beautiful bit of poetry, we'll all want to retire there!

Hook: thanks for getting this thread going - it's inspirational. I could happily read these fascinating tales of Island fishing adventures for hours! - and hope to. Please keep 'em coming, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atta boy Stones, just started taking my two year old out to get him used to the idea. Starting with shore lake fishing and will work our way up from there with lots of great memories to be had along the way. I can't think of a better way to spend a day. Just be careful of the trolls on this forum who seem to have a problem with taking a kid out for single barbless catch and release. There aperently are those out there on this forum who don't see it as appropriate. Unfricken believable!! I must remember to borrow Charlie's troll spray. Good luck with the kids!

I can remember riding my bike to Lafarge with rod and tackle to catch some fish back in the 90's. Also caught some cray fish in there back. Good to hear they are still stocking it and your getting your kids on it.

I loved watching that bobber dip below the surface and jumping up to grab the rod. FISH ON!

Aaah, these memories take me back several decades when fishing was simple and cheap. My brother and I would fish shiners off the docks in Campbell River, using blue mussel and some form of sea worms that grows below the water line on the docks. We used nothing more than a roll of light fishing line, small round weights, and a hook. We would keep the shiners alive in my Dad's galvanized deck bucket and release them when it was time to leave.Making sure to return the deck bucket, as one had mysteriously disappeared after one of our fishing trip (ya, we probably left it on the wharf).

Not surprising, we tried hard to catch the large perch that swam deep along the piling and off the end of the dock. These large fish were wary and timid and we only landed a handful over the years. I remember, keeping only one large perch... a trophy at least it was to me back then.
Dad would be busy working on repairs on his boat, but the other fisherman would usually be keeping an eye on us and the other kids. It was nice to be apart of the fishing community.

My brother passed away many years ago, but when ever I am down at the docks I still peer down along the piling looking for the fish that call the docks their home. Yes, memories that we shared with those we loved.

I still am drawn to the water, perhaps its an addiction that I refuse to cure and I am still sharing memories with people I care for... this is why I fish.

My memories...........

My early fishing experience was in the early 70's, my folks took me to Doreen Lake in the interior of BC. The floor of the lake was covered in ash from a previous forest fire. It made the water look aquamarine and you could see the trout below! We had 4x4'd into the lake with a 12ft aluminum boat on our roof. The trout were wild for our flatfish! We caught so many fish that we bent our barbs and practiced catch and release. I won the family derby, catching 42 fish in 4 days!
My most exciting albeit quick fishing story came just two years ago, July 1st 2010. My hubby had taken us to the Trap and we had heard that s#!t rock was the spot. I dropped my anchovy gear to 60ft. Before my hubby could get his line down, my line was screamin'. The fish ran straight to the boat and I was worried that I couldn't reel it in fast enough! It came right up to the boat and he netted it. 28 pounds! I looked over at another fellow angler and he said "I saw that!" Wow, what a fish..........

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 77
Atta boy Stones, just started taking my two year old out to get him used to the idea. Starting with shore lake fishing and will work our way up from there with lots of great memories to be had along the way. I can't think of a better way to spend a day. Just be careful of the trolls on this forum who seem to have a problem with taking a kid out for single barbless catch and release. There aperently are those out there on this forum who don't see it as appropriate. Unfricken believable!! I must remember to borrow Charlie's troll spray. Good luck with the kids!

Best thing we can do! Nowadays, kids don't get enough time with the outdoor stuff - especially with their parents. We're all too busy with texting on "smart" phones. It really pays off when they are in the teens - much better relationships. We have the 3 year old Grandkids fishing already, although the little girl doesn't care for it when the boat goes "Way up and down. - It's too scary." The little guy just watches the rods and smiles - that's our boy!

Trolls - we know who they are. Just don't rise to the bait - ignore them. Cut 'em from the herd.
Or, like my old foreman used to say, "If you can't talk nicely, I can teach you some body language."

Not surprising, we tried hard to catch the large perch that swam deep along the piling and off the end of the dock. These large fish were wary and timid and we only landed a handful over the years.

I spent many an hour as a kid hanging off the side of the dock with a piece of fishing line in my hand trying to catch what lurked below, those large perch eluded me for quite a while as well then I discovered the secret. Use small beach crabs for bait. They cannot resist them.

When I was 9, I tried fishing out for my first time ever, but wasn't successful until I went on vacation to the island that year. I was jigging off of the dock at one of the marinas in Port Hardy BC and was staying around for about an hour, when suddenly, my 3ft kiddy fishing rod bent right over. I remember it being such a stomach tickling rush of excitement as I never had reeled a fish in before. I was screaming "I THINK I GOT A FISH! I THINK I GOT A FISH!" and that exciting rush was jolted up as I saw the flash of a fish 10ft down.:D It turns out, that it was a nice solid 2lb copper rock fish. I continued to fish for another 10 minutes and landed a 1lb red rock fish, then I was very disappointed when my Dad told me it was time to go. Ever since that day, I was hooked and have become an avid sport fisher ever since. I remember for the rest of the stay at Port Hardy, I was always begging my Dad when I could go fish at the the dock again.

As for the most exciting fish, I think it would be the first large Chinook I hooked ever which was off of Secretary Island near Sooke last summer. My fishing partner had just pulled in a 20lber Chinook which was his first Chinook he ever caught. It wasn't that much longer until my rod on the down rigger jolted and doubled right over! At first, I was frantically reeling in as the fish was rocketing towards the boat, then once I saw the fish break the surface, I couldn't believe my eye of how big it looked! It looked quite a bit bigger than my fishing partner's 20lber! Right away, the fish started sounding in the opposite direction of the boat, but sadly after a couple seconds, the 25lb leader I was using broke.:(. Oh well, perhaps I'll catch his big cousin off of Renfrew this year.lol. I couldn't believe the rush when that fish started ripping line off of that reel! It definitely seemed to fight 1000 times harder than the 3lb walleye, and 2lb trout that I'm use to catching in Alberta!:D

Back