Your Dream Fish

falcon1

What are the fish that you have always wanted to catch? It could be a fish that you have caught before, or one you have always wanted to but never had the opportunity or time. Doesn't have to be a heavy fighter, or a giant.

Mine are:
Freshwater: common carp or wels catfish
Saltwater: halibut or tarpon
Big Game: blue marlin or yellowfin tuna
Childhood Favourite: pumpkinseed sunfish. I still love catching them.

Mine would be a silver bright, 40lb + Chinook salmon on a 10.5' moocher and single action reel.
never been into a real biggy, but keep trying.

I've always wanted to fish for bonefish and tarpon. Barracuda and wahoo are also on my list. Perhaps in my retirement. I guess I'll just have to settle for chinook, coho, halibut, and lingcod. Oh well. LOL.

Dave

To be able to go north in the peak summer months and get into a spring over 70 pounds and then release it.

Fish ive tried for and haven't been able to catch:
50lb + chrome chinook on a single action.
10lb + brown to slowly rise up and take a dry fly in New Zealand.

Fish I plan to target one day:
Decent sized Tarpon on a fly rod.
Any marlin, sword or sail would be fun!
A Nova Scotia/PEI bluefin
A 200lb + yellowfin

Last edited by a moderator:
Sailfish, dorado and a bonefish on the fly...

But a nice halibut over 40 would be great too, never got one outside the chicken slot

To be able to go north in the peak summer months and get into a spring over 70 pounds and then release it.

Why not just do that in sooke?? ;)

I realize the odds are slim.... But.. I watched a 72 get caught by Stuart Island which is fairly south on the coast. Completely mind boggling.

I'm off to the Amazon to host one of our combo tours; wildlife viewng and Peacok Bass fishing, there are many more fish species...you can shake your rod at...

When the sunsets, we sit on the mothership's deck watching the parrots return to the roost, oh yeah!!! we also have plenty of cold bevies on hand........:)

Mine would be Tarpon on the fly as my #1 choice.
Next would be a large Bluefin Tuna over 700lbs.
Last would be a Great White shark.
All released,of course!

Peacock bass would be fun to try...

Fresh water: Sturgoen, big musky... As I have already done the dream steelhead :p
Salt water: Bone, tarpon or permit on the fly. A big spring on the fly would be interesting too... Breaking 50 in Sooke would be cool too

If I had any fish of choice, it would be a true "springer" on a fly. A true spring where I come from is a chinook that enters the river systems in April and May. They are notoriously finicky biters, they fight like nobody's business, and they are so full of oil and Omega 3's that there's no other fish in the world I'd rather eat.

Here's what they look like---(unfortunately, all three were caught on nuclear weaponry, not a fly)

SELENASPRING0002.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Freakin quality river springs there SH!

I was thinking more open chuck.. Nice Lassie too ;)

Wow. Lots of people are looking at the big springs. Personally, I would be happy to fish for pretty much anything that swims. That may be the reason I am the only one who seems interested in the bullhead fishery around here.

Cool thread!

Like many, a tarpon would be awesome to catch.
I'd love to catch a saltwater striper against a New York skyline...
A Golden Dorado in the rivers of northern Argentina...
And a big honkin Chinook anywhere on the coast of this great province.

Single action or not at all.

I don't think I've ever seen such chrome fish in freshwater Sharphooks... Beautiful fish.
Feel free to tell me where and when in a pm :rolleyes:

My son hooked a 21.5 wild coho off Sooke a few years ago so that would not be on my bucket list. But landing a 55+ lb. salmon would still be there. I'm getting too old to fight a Tuna or tarpon or any of those really big fish for a few hours. I tire bringing up small Hali.

Back