You thought all you had to worry about was Halibut, well think again.

OldBlackDog

DFO failed to adequately protect whale habitat, court rules
By JUDITH LAVOIE, Timescolonist.comDecember 7, 2010 7:36 PM

Scientists are studying how increasing marine traffic affects orcas.
Photograph by: Files, timescolonist.comThe federal government has failed to adequately protect the habitat of endangered and threatened resident killer whales, a Federal Court judge ruled Tuesday.

Nine environmental groups, which took the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to court over habitat protection, celebrated the ruling as a landmark decision and predicted it will mean changes to fishing plans and ocean noise regulations.

Habitat for the whales includes the water around Vancouver Island and, as lack of salmon, pollution and noise have been identified as the main threats to killer whales, protection could affect fishing, whale watching, disposal of toxins and sewage, military sonar and seismic testing.

It will also affect how government deals with other species at risk, said Margot Venton, Ecojustice staff lawyer, who acted for the coalition of conservation groups.

"The court made a whole bunch of important decisions that, I think, are going to be important in shaping how DFO conducts itself with all sorts of other species," Venton said.

"This is a victory not just for the resident killer whales, but for the more than 90 other marine species listed under the federal Species at Risk Act," she said.

DFO needs to act quickly on protecting critical habitat because resident killer whales are in urgent need of help, Venton said.

Southern resident killer whales, of which there are 87 in three pods, are listed as endangered. The northern residents, with about 220 members, are listed as threatened.

DFO offered no specifics Tuesday on how it will comply with the ruling.

"The government is reviewing the decision of the Federal Court and determining its next steps," DFO spokeswoman Kirsten Ruecker said in an emailed statement.

Misty MacDuffee of Raincoast Conservation said considering whales in fishing plans is a first step.

"We have to start thinking of wildlife in our salmon-management plans, whether it's bears, wolves or killer whales," she said.

That would mean in years of low chinook abundance the killer whales would have priority, MacDuffee said.

"This is where the rubber is going to hit the road because DFO doesn't actually want to give up fish to wildlife," she said.

The decision could also affect plans for oil supertankers in northern B.C. waters, said Stephanie Goodwin of Greenpeace.

Venton said there are policies dealing with ocean noise, but this could be a catalyst for stronger regulations, which might affect the whale watching industry.

Research from the University of Victoria's VENUS — Victoria Experimental Network Under the Sea — project released last week showed whales are having to yell over increasing noise from marine traffic.

The lawsuit was launched after the DFO decided in 2008 to legally protect critical habitat using voluntary guidelines and non-binding laws and policies.

Last year, the DFO issued a protection order for killer whale habitat that did not address water quality, food supply or noise pollution.

Federal Court Judge James Russell ruled that "the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans erred in law in determining that the critical habitat of the resident killer whales was already legally protected by existing laws of Canada."

The judgment says voluntary protocols and guidelines do not legally protect critical habit.

Also, it was unlawful for government to exclude ecosystem features, such as availability of prey and acoustic and environmental factors, from the scope of the protection order, Russell ruled.

jlavoie@timescolonist.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
Scientists are studying how increasing marine traffic affects orcas.Photograph by: Files, timescolonist.com

Oh fudge...............

I like the old days better........ can we go back?:rolleyes:

...Even better idea get the hippies to train the residents to eat seals??? Long shot

This could end up being a good thing. The crux of the problem is the declining resource; it affects all people & critters. So if DFO is finally held to task by this or any other ruling, maybe they'll start doing the job they were put there for in the first place - policing/maintaining habitat and ensuring the welfare of Pacific salmon!

Sumsabitches!

This could be a double edged sword. Great if we have more salmon in our waters and orcas keepin Mr Whiskers at bay. Bummer if we get boating speed, passage closures and retention limit restrictions.

This could be a double edged sword. Great if we have more salmon in our waters and orcas keepin Mr Whiskers at bay. Bummer if we get boating speed, passage closures and retention limit restrictions.

Got to agree with you-this would have Spring salmon restrictions from the Charlotte's all the way down to the Fraser mouth including WCVI :(

Further to my comments in the article, the DFO can take some specific action today to protect killer whale critical habitat.

To survive, the whales need the protection of Chinook stocks in the whales’ critical habitat and a marine environment legally protected from excessive noise pollution. Ambient quality of the marine environment must be monitored and
understood.

Clearly, orca need better protection from pollution with stronger laws that help lower the already significant load of chemical pollutants found in the whales’ critical habitat and from the threat of a catastrophic pollution event such as an
oil spill.

And finally, the DFO must deliver the terms of the whales’ recovery strategy, finalized in March 2008. They should consult with expert recovery ream of government and independent
scientists already assembled to assist in the recovery of this iconic animal.

Thank you
Stephanie Goodwin
B.C. Director, Greenpeace
0 replies1 reply 0 replies1 reply Please wait while we perform your request.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/technolo...k+court+case/3942026/story.html#ixzz17Z7SKB6k

These Orcas don't eat seals they eat salmon.
The ones we have here are called resident Orcas

The Orcas that eat seals are the ones from California.
They are referred to as transient orcas.
They swim up here in the summer and take a few seals but not enough to put a dent in the problem.

GLG

So lets kill off the seals allowing more fish to return home to spawn. Then giving the whales and us more salmon.

Oh but then they will have to protect the seals as they are the food for the transient whales.

Interesting to see how this will affect marine traffic through the Bight and Blackfish sound.

Wonder if the Cruise Ships and other large boats will be restricted....

And I would like to see what happens if another good sockeye season happens. Last year there was over 40 GN and trollers in the the Bight last year, yet not one kayak or pleasure boat was allowed (not that there was anything to stop them). Eagle Watch was going crazy as there was also 35+ whales at the top end of Johnson Strait. They picked me up as being to close to some whales who had surfaced 100 yards in front of me and sent me a nasty email at work ( I was working and was in a Gov boat).

I bet we get localized closures in the Hardy/McNeill area and more restrictions on fishing.

Good to see, but I think they will just pass all the restrictions on to us and allow other things to remain the same.

Cheers

SS

I bet we get localized closures in the Hardy/McNeill area and more restrictions on fishing.

Good to see, but I think they will just pass all the restrictions on to us and allow other things to remain the same.
Yes policy aside it's a manpower issue so blanket closures are an easy solution for bureaucrats.

So lets kill off the seals allowing more fish to return home to spawn. Then giving the whales and us more salmon.

Oh but then they will have to protect the seals as they are the food for the transient whales.

OH NOOOO...... We can't kill the seals..... those poor little furry creatures, with their big glassy eyes... that would be inhumane. LOL

Hey it's OK though, DFO has it all under control. Don't you all get it???? You see the seals are predators right? They eat salmon right? So DFO is going to fix the Seal problem...... by killing the Salmon Fishery - Simple right? LOL. Or maybe that last one isn't so funny if it's true????

They are getting as rare as a Canucks winning streak.;) Guess it's time for DFO to realize there is more to managing salmon than just feeding the Commies - this may in fact be a good thing - who knows maybe we will get some hatchery salmon production to ensure the survival of these wonderful creatures.

Oh yeah, all you boys with your big old booming stereos, it looks like you are going to have to turn them down, I know you don't like it but you are scaring the fishes. Oh and no more hootin and hollerin out there either, it's scaring the fishes. LOL

I don't where it's going to end.....maybe we are all going to have to take up quilting or something and talk about the good old days when we were ALLOWED to fish, and the really old days when there were lots of fish in the sea.

These Orcas don't eat seals they eat salmon.
The ones we have here are called resident Orcas

The Orcas that eat seals are the ones from California.
They are referred to as transient orcas.
They swim up here in the summer and take a few seals but not enough to put a dent in the problem.

GLG
Yes there are the transients and resident orca, but regardless, you gotta love how fast the seals jump up onto the rocks when a big black dorsal fin surfaces near by. Though I've seen videos of orca taking salmon off lines, i've never had one follow me all day waiting to steal my fish!

so how many millions of gallons of raw sewage are pumped into the strait every day? seals were always eating salmon. problem is there are fewer salmon so we notice the impact more. tribal fishermen always harvested seals for a variety of purposes, why not let them do so again? CA is late coming to this restriction party. there are already zones being set up in harro strait with regard to limiting approachs to orca. what we have been fighting is the total closure of large swaths of water where you would be prohibited from even crossing. we have also been arguing that if the orca are having trouble finding breakfast lunch and dinner, the real culprit is lack of their prefered meals. getting all non selective fishing gear out of the water should be the first step, not an after or never thought. welcome to the party folks........

tribal fishermen always harvested seals for a variety of purposes, why not let them do so again?
Cause they dont like the taste of them.... didnt you see when they did there killing of the grey whale in Neah bay the look on there faces was priceless eeeeewwww yuck bet you they hit the first Mcdonalds on the way home to get that taste out of there mouths.

and here i thought the subsistence folks were all about the 'old way of life', guess i had it wrong again :)

If we wanted it they would too this whole thing is more a political thing then any conservation issue the more I get involved with this the more I see how it really is. they have 1 agenda and thats to snow all around but the fact is they dont want sports on the wtaer got a "VISION" plan yesterday thought Id read it all I can say is looks awful good on fancy pictured paper..

Wolf

There is a Victoria based company that is directly responsible for the greatest number of deaths within the local resident killer whale pods. Maybe they should have to buck up and put back some of the profits to help the rebuilding cause. No legal case for this but certainly an ethical one.

Back