You know you are having a bad day, when....

Fish-Hunter

20141031_143746_resized.jpg

20141031_143915_resized.jpg

20141031_143925_resized.jpg

20141031_143934_resized.jpg

Dude was talking to police at the side of the bridge, he appeared to be unharmed. Lucky I would say, as it would have been a lot worse, had he gone over the edge. It is a long way to the bottom of that bridge just south of the Qualicum Beach exit.

The first thing I notice is that really underpowered. My pathfinder same year could tow my 16 foot double eagle that was about max. That boat looks larger 19-20 feet and trailer is double axle.... maybe a wheel locked up? Lucky no-one was killed.

I bet the brakes failed or weren't working, the trailer buckled and snapped at the weakest point which is always the the forward reach on our boat trailers. I bet he hit the brakes and got a lot more then he bargined for......

That's just my guess........

Drove by that yesterday, heading north and was wondering what happened. Was the Nissan the tow vehicle? Glad to hear nobody got hurt! I had an accident where my rv trailer flipped last summer so I can relate to what that guy is feeling.

wonder if insurance would cover damage if tow rating is exceeded? Or does ICBC even check that?

Ya theres no way the tow rating on that suv is rated for that size of boat. Like SV said that truck is probably rated to tow a 16' boat max, plus that looks like an older campion maybe, probably 20+ft, cant see that being a very light boat. Im guessing he was driving to fast plus way overloaded, came around that curve and the trailer started swaying badly, didn't know how to correct it and maybe hit the brakes and all hell broke loose. Good thing nobody was killed or injured due to this persons stupidity.

unless it was hooked to that dually parked little further up and come un hooked. never the less it a bad deal

Nope that dually in the first pic is part of the line of traffic working their way though the accident scene.

That trailer is still chained to the pathfinder, and yes that pathfinder is facing 180 degrees to, and on top of the trailer that it was towing.

I didn't see how the tow truck cleaned up the mess, but it looks like he could have tied the SUV down to the boat trailer (like the boat should have been), and then hooked on to the trailer towing it and the pathfinder away in one neat little package. Just have to scoop the boat off of the road.

There were no flat tires on the pathfinder or the trailer which would have been my first guess as to the cause.

Could have been sleeping at the wheel?? or Texting?? (man there is a lot of that these days... yeesh:mad:!!)

Could have been speed and over limit tow weight combined with bumps on the bridge approach. All of the bridges in this area seem to have a good bump to them at the abutments. I have seen two accidents this year on the Englishman River bridge (south-bound) just before the weigh scales, both were trucks hauling boats that lost the boat off of the trailer.

This accident is the third one involving a boat that I have seen this year, on less than an 11 km stretch of highway.

Tie your boats down, and be safe;)

Back