YOU HAVE BEEN SHAFTED!!!! --Oh ya!!

Cuba Libre

:(
I have posted a call to arms on the Announcement Board from the Southern Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition for a major rolling boat/trailer/angler protest on May 8.

Have a look and give drop them an email if you are able to attend. Idealy , there would be boats and anglers from all over southern BC and not just Victoria.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Good idea I fully support this!

What time on Friday?

Any thought about a Saturday event for all of us who can't get a Friday off?

Long live wild salmon!!!

DONT YOU GUYS THINK THAT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT. THE BOYS WHO CHECK YOUR BOATS FOR SAFTEY WONT BE THERE?. THEY WILL GET THERE YEARS TICKET AMOUNT WITH THE GUYS THE WILL BE SHOWING UP

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

quote:Originally posted by BoyWonder

DONT YOU GUYS THINK THAT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT. THE BOYS WHO CHECK YOUR BOATS FOR SAFTEY WONT BE THERE?. THEY WILL GET THERE YEARS TICKET AMOUNT WITH THE GUYS THE WILL BE SHOWING UP

Actually, no they won't,because if the boat isn't in the water with paying guests on it, they can't ticket anything.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by BoyWonder

Even if they are there....whats the worry I have all the safety gear required and more...all my lights work etc....let em check away

And like Last Chance said they cant do anything if it aint in the water

I am just the messenger, but I talked to Chris Bos , one of the organizers and asked him to come on the site to answer questions. he will be able to fill in the blanks.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

X2

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

Good idea I fully support this!

Any thought about a Saturday event for all of us who can't get a Friday off?

JUST FISHEN'

the problem with doing it on a Saturday is DFO offices are closed you wont affect anything then

It is an important situation worth the time off to take a stand

At the risk of being the wet blanket at the party, a few thoughts...

What is the goal of this event?

I'm assuming it is to raise public awareness of this 88/12 allocation, something the public generally does not understand. I agree this is something the public should know about and I think changing it makes economic sense. However, I question if this protest will have the intended effect, and if in fact it will have a negative effect.

From what I've seen, Joe and Jane Public think all fisheries are in trouble, halibut included, and if anything, they want to see more conservation (but of course still want fish on the table). A protest by any fishery lobby group to get more fish is likely to be seen as fiddling while Rome burns....seeking a larger chunk of a dying resource (whether true or not, that's the perception).

Right now halibut fishing is open, pictures are posted all over the place of nice fish being caught, and we just had a derby locally with more than a hundred nice big halibut caught. The average person might respond "what is the problem?" and a less average person might say "what's with these greedy fishermen, always wanting more, never enough, etc". Again, not true, but this is a complicated issue that most don't understand, and a 20 second news snippet of the event will not explain it...so you are left with a quick sound bite and off-the-cuff impression only...and that might not be a positive one.

As well, if this inconveniences the public in any way, I am pretty sure that a so-so perception will go very negative very fast.

Without public support or positive media coverage will politicians care about this action? Will it make any impact?

The timing also seems iffy. Seems to me if you're going to have a protest, the time to do it is when there's something immediately visible to protest against -- like the closure last fall (and the one upcoming sometime in not-too-distant future, yet to be announced). Right now, with fish being caught, and probably half the people who might protest actually out fishing instead, seems to dilute both the outrage and the potential turnout. Better to organize this, have it ready to go, then immediately upon announcement mobilize. Is this protest playing your cards too early?

I dunno...just throwing my 2 cents in. And I do want to emphasize I wholeheartedly support the efforts of the people trying to change this situation for the better. I'm just not convinced of this particular action at this time.

Well when they shut it down in 3 months then a bunch of you guys are going to scream like hell.
Yes its open but if it wasnt for the fact Chris and alot on here didnt complain do you really think it would have been??? we are in for deep crap and now that it is open seems people forget about what is happening!!!!!!

You have to ask WHY no notice about it going to 2 halibut on JUNE 1???.I really could care less because after may I dont fish for them but it scares me to think what may happen for the rest of the province for ALL user groups.The way they did that announcement for the opening seems like they will and can close it at anytime which I feel they will. Food for thought...

You guys do what you want its a free country but be warned more stuff will/go is going to happen we have the most population that fishes here (vic) but we all wont fight for it, just think if everyone showed up for this it would make a difference but some always see negative in everything isnt there a quote someone said

"there inst any bad press"

You have to look at the big picture and coastwide people can make a difference you dont have to have your boat even just you and your car/truck more people to make it quite apperent sportfisherman are NOT happy the way things are going.

Seems when we all met and over 100 people attended madder than a hornet fight fight fight but now?????
WTF changed .........NOTHING.......

We will go through the same crap next year.

Sorry for the Rant

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

some good points juandasooka, but I think a major point that we will get across to dfo is how pissed we are. Its a major step going from writing a letter to organizing a protest. It shows that we are committed to fighting this to the extent that we'll drive from wherever to Victoria and maybe even take a day off work to do it. It also shows that we are organized and won't be pushed over. They likely think they've won since most people shut up once the season opened - this will show them that we're serious, we want long term changes, and that they can't just shut us up by temporarily giving us what we want.

I do agree that it is very important to explain to the public that this is not a conservation issue, and also that sportfishing encompasses guides, therefore, these regs affect many many jobs up and down the coast. I think alot of people think its just hobbiests.

THIS IS THE TIME FOR EVERY ANGLER TO STAND UP FOR THEIR RIGHTS AND TELL THE GOVERNMENT
WE DON'T WANT THIS UNWORKABLE UNFAIR THIBAULT 88/12 ALLOCATION POLICY ANYMORE!!!</u>

The issue is simple - YOU AS A CANADIAN HAVE BEEN ROYALLY SHAFTED!

There is NO conservation concern on halibut</u>, Canada can catch nearly 8,000,000 lbs this year, yet your season opened late for two years running. Your daily bag limit cut by 50% - 2008 season closed two months early and the 2009 season can close at any minute.

"Seasons open 'n' Fishins' good dude, no need to rally" - WRONG!!!!!

We as recreational anglers have been a bunch of weak-kneed toothless tigers on this issue for far far to long! Whining on chat rooms, complaining to your SFAB reps and gobbing off at the tackle shop ain't working dudes! It is high time for action

Government are continuing to restrict your access to halibut unfairly and to date YOU have made NO SERIOUS PUSH BACK!

You, YES THAT'S YOU DUDE! need to get off your butt and get out there with your boat on a trailer on Friday May 8th in Victoria Tell the government you have had enough of this crap. Come join your fellow anglers and have a blast!

FYI - The Shock and Awe boat and trailer rolling protest rally is actually designed to get media attention on Friday for the main news Canada-wide. It is another step up in a series of agreed actions to seriously up the pressure on Fisheries Minister Shea in Ottawa. The Southern Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition was formed in Feb 2009 when a 150 Victoria/Sidney/Sooke/Duncan area anglers wanted something serious done to get DFOs failed halibut allocation policy thrown out for good!

Beieve it - groundfish, shellfish and then salmon allocation are on DFOs agenda next. No fight today and you will really be bitchin' like crazy tomorrow when ALL salmon fishing opens way late and closes when a CAP is reached.

If you don't agree with what's being done don't come, it is a free country. But please folks don't take shots at those who are selflessly trying to help you either. But do remember the words written here and don't expect your angling friends to voluntarily develop and deliver another action plan to protect your right to fish! The Coalition helped you organize the letter writing campaign to Minister Shea, have been involved in getting the BCWF House of Commons petitions completed and sent to Ottawa, we have also visited many local federal politicians to get the message out and now we want YOU to support the Shock and Awe rally!</u> We have acted for you as you asked us to, now its up to you to make this a success!

ITS HIGH TIME FOR ACTION - PROTECT YOU ACCESS TO HALIBUT
ITS A COMMON PROPERTY THAT BELONGS TO ALL CANADIANS

IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST TO BE THERE ON MAY 8

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Thanks Chris -- the Southern Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition is taking a stand for all Canadian anglers... and as goes halibut, so goes crabs, prawns, lingcod, etec etc etc.... My thanks to all of you for these timely efforts.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Can't avoid weighing in with a couple of points.

First....Not good timing - should have been on the Saturday. DFO would get the point better with a really large turn out, and professional key messaging. By running the protest on a Friday, you cut out a large number of guys who work M - F. I really don't think there is anything to be gained by protesting in front of DFO, rather it is more important to get your point in front of the media...DFO reads the paper.

Second, I also think you need to carefully position the key message so that anglers do not appear to be out to kill every last hali. Frankly what I'm hearing will air play very badly for us. I would re-think the strategy, test it by asking some friends who don't know anything</u> about the issue or fishing...listen carefully to what they say and ask how you can adjust the key messages so it comes across professionally and well reasoned. By staging a protest like this, your audiance is the court of public opinion, not DFO. These guys are sensitive to public pressure, so our first mission should be to win the hearts and minds of the public, then worry about DFO.

Sorry to sound like a ney sayer, but my message is really to get your strategy right BEFORE you go out there sounding like a bunch of red necks - which is how this sounds frankly.

SO, my opinion is stop this ill thought out action and get your key messaging right, then reschedule for a Saturday. We will only get one chance at winning in the court of public opinion, so we better get it right.

Back