Yellow Dots

MILLERTIME

Caught this 26 pound yellow dot yesterday morning in Oak Bay, action was very very slow only one strike in four hours.

Over the years I have had many yellow dots almost always around Oak Bay, does anyone know for sure where they come from? I have been told that they are hatchery fish marked with needles dipped in liquid nitrogen.

photo6-0.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

I asked the same question at one of our meeting with the fish Biologists and we discussed it apperenttly its just a thing that happens and its a bacteria sort of thing that grows on slamon and nothing to worry about, definattly not a hatch fish dipped. he said if you look reallyhard you will find it on alot of te salmon some are just brigther than others.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Hey Millertime,
I realize this is my first post and I am new to this site but I have done some extensivbe research on this topic in the past. In july 2005 after catching a spring in Neah Bay with the same yellow dot, I also became very curious as to what it actually was. I was told a "fishy" story by the fish counter/checker there on the docks. She said it was was put there by the state with a yellow permanent marker after it had been netted by Willapa Bay on the Washington Coast so the state could track what hatchery it eneded up at. There were three major things wrong with this story. First, these fish don't travel North, second, this was a wild fish, third and most important, have you ever tried to mark a live, wet fish with a marker? Wanting the real story, I took the fish down to Olympia, Washington where the head office is the state fisheries and that's where the states leading biologist works. I set up a meeting with him and showed him the fish. After getting a very good laugh at the story I was told, he told me what the yellow dot was. It's called a chromatafore, I believe that is the spelling. A chromatafore is also known as a birth mark. If you look closely at a spring, you can notice the gold tones in its skin color. We get birhtmarks from the meltonin in our skin which is what gives us are skin color and it is what moves to the surface to give us our tans. In springs, they just happen to be gold. I hope this helps.

Just to add to this, I don't fish the salt much but... I have seen a lot of Cutthroats in fresh, both sea-run and the regular resident coastal Cutthroat with these same yellow dots.

I was very recently fishing in Campbell river at a lake where I caught a pile of Cutthroat and a LOT of them had the yellow dot.

Wolf

Thanks for the information. I was wondering as a Charter Guide how many yellow dots you think you've had over the years and how far west did you get them?

Hey Peter

Thanks for the information. I have been busy trying to read up on
Chromatophores. So far it looks as though that might be the answer
but I need to do some more research. Will let you know.

Hi kildonan

I am not familiar with cutthroats but was that just one yellow
dots on the white of the belly or many yellow dots?

Hey spring time

That's a good one. Thanks for the laugh! But have you ever had a yellow dot? I was actually hoping that a lot more Sporty's would sound off as to whether or not they have ever had a yellow dot. But I'm beginning to think that most people if they notice it think it is just some sort of stain or dirt and others just don't notice it at all.

Funny thing is the fish we got today had that spot had a chuckle to my self ill see if it shows on the pic it was a 26lber male.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Hey Wolf

That is super interesting because a friend of mine told me he had a 15 pound yellow dot last week. Makes me wonder if they are not a specific or separate run? Which means it might be a genetic trait?

quote:Originally posted by MILLERTIME

Hi kildonan

I am not familiar with cutthroats but was that just one yellow
dots on the white of the belly or many yellow dots?

Yes, one single yellow dot in a random place on the white belly. I've seen it a lot on many Cutthroat just like the picture of the Spring you show there.

We caught a yellow dot spring in Oakbay in June except the dot
was located further back on the belly.
Have also caught them in Sooke and Renfrew...
Peter's explanation makes more sense than most of the wacky
stories i've heard.

quote:Originally posted by MILLERTIME

Hey Wolf

That is super interesting because a friend of mine told me he had a 15 pound yellow dot last week. Makes me wonder if they are not a specific or separate run? Which means it might be a genetic trait?

Likely not a specific run/race as I got a yellow dot spring (28.5 lbs)off the Capilano River mouth in Vancouver a few years back ( in September). It was a white Chinook probably heading to the cap river or Indian Arm. As I understand it, these big white Chinook that were introduced to the Cap were originally brood stock Harrison River fish. My yellow dot chinook was not clipped ( therefore no coded tag) so unfortunately couldn't prove without a doubt what river system he was returning to.

I will send photo of the dot/fish later

Ok here is the photo of the fish I was taliking about above

oct3chinb.jpg
[/img]

Ok here is the photo of the fish I was taliking about above

oct3chinb.jpg
[/img]

I may be mistaken, but I think I recall a few years ago a marine biologist told me in Bamfield that some Columbia River spring salmon are marked with a yellow dot in the hatchery when they are smolts.

I may be mistaken, but I think I recall a few years ago a marine biologist told me in Bamfield that some Columbia River spring salmon are marked with a yellow dot in the hatchery when they are smolts.

Back