Yellow dot on belly

bigredsnapper

Caught a 10lb spring tody with a yellow dot on it's belly. It was a clipped hatchery fish. Anyone seen this before?

I have caught several springs with different colour dots on their bellies in Barkley Sound and was told that these were USA hatchery fish..........(just one of the way they mark their fish) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I have caught several springs with different colour dots on their bellies in Barkley Sound and was told that these were USA hatchery fish..........(just one of the way they mark their fish) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

No-- its just a normally occuring skin blemish. Some strains of salmonids are more prone to it than others.

yer welcome ;)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Yeah I have seen random spots like that on white bellied fish for years. All species including bottom fish and other coarse fish as well. Maybe I'll do a little research to learn specifics , but I have never thought anything of it. I have seen it on hundreds of fish over the years. Beauty spots:)

Its a common skin blemish. I had heard the urban myth about the US hatchery marking but have never had any credible evidence to support that.

Greg anymore info? Im home in 2 weeks(26th i think) on the monday for one day only. If your looking to hit the chuck let me know!

No prpblem Kelly, the boat is in the water ready to go. Had some
good action yesterday at Gerald. Ballenas was dead, no bait.

I got a 35 lb spring with that yellow dot on the belly in hakai pass at spider island and the fish master told me it was a robertson creek fish.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

My fishin buddy that day said it could be a hatchery mark but was'nt sure, maybe a photo would help. Kelly check your e-mail.

Now I'm thinking about that trip, it was really cool. You go to hakai on a 135' ex navy mine sweeper thats been converted to accomodate about 25 people. They crane your boat on to their boat and go to hakai. Takes about a day to get there then they anchor, put out temporary docks and put your boat back in the water. Everything included except byob. 4-5 days and excellent fishing. Anyone else been on the trip?

http://www.edgewaterfortune.com/charter_fishing.asp

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

quote:the fish master told me it was a robertson creek fish.

Unless that fish had a coded wire tag in the nose, or a distinct genetic marker , or he read the otolith to see if it had an oxytetracycline band or a thermal mark, then there is NO way he could be certain it was even a hatchery fish, let alone Robertson Creek fish. The best he could do is guess--- because past tag recoveries have shown the migratory routes for various stocks along the BC coast. As stated-- the "dot" means nothing.

But I have to admit-- its a nice urban myth!!! [8D]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by happy hooker

I got a 35 lb spring with that yellow dot on the belly in hakai pass at spider island and the fish master told me it was a robertson creek fish.

I've heard the same thing and caught many in Barcley sound with that mark.

Take only what you need.

Thanks everyone for your input, since it was clipped I kept the head. I'm gonna send it in and see if they get back to me with any other info. so I'll let you know what I hear. BRS

It's probably cancer, my mom says if you dont put sun screen on you get cancer, and I have yet to see a fish put sunscreen on ;)......

Back