Year-on-year commercial halibut catch lower

Sushihunter

http://www.muskegnews.com/halibut-update101

Year-on-year commercial halibut catch lower
Posted on July 22nd, 2011 by MuskegPress in News

At the beginning of the year, a debate broke out between the recreational and commercial fishing industries over the allocation of halibut, which at times was quite acrimonious. While charter fishermen were concerned about their share of the total allowable catch, it seems that after the mid-point of the fishing season, the commercial fishery has actually landed less halibut this year than at the same time last year.​

According to the International Pacific Halibut Commission, the halibut fisheries opened on March 12 and will close on November 18. Through July 20, 49 per cent of the 2011 commercial fishery quota from B.C. waters had been caught, in comparison to 63 per cent at the same time last year.

In spite of that drop, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans said that there is no change from previous years with regards to the number of fishermen out on the water. Lara Sloane, a media relations officer with DFO , said there is nothing different from what the fishery usually sees, although there has been some bad weather, so some boats that wanted to go out were not able to. She said that there is usually a push in the later months of the season, such as September and October, but that is typical.

In 2003, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans established a pacific halibut quota of 88 per cent for commercial fishermen and 12 cent for recreational fishermen. It was also decided that recreational anglers with a tidal license would be able to catch one halibut per day with two in possession. Ever since then, there have been a number of attempts by representatives of each sector to develop an acceptable way to transfer allocation between them.

The most recent rounds of discussions took place throughout 2010, but they reached an impasse. In order to try and even things out a bit, the federal government recently decided to undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders, experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters.
“This will provide access to halibut beyond the limits of the standard recreational license, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for business planning purposes,” said Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, in a press release at the time.

However, Rob Alcock, President of the Sport Fishing Institute of B.C., said that he thinks the pilot program is a delaying tactic that allowed the government to get through the election window.

“I suspect that it is doomed to failure, largely because it does not address the fundamental problem that the original allocation for the recreational sector is inadequate,” he said.

Rob Alcock said that the B.C. Sport Fishing Institute’s charter boat members have said that the uncertainty caused by the halibut allocation model makes it difficult for them to sell trips. If they sell a trip and the season is closed arbitrarily, they likely have lost that customer forever. They also note that the bag limits that limit anglers to one fish per day, two in possession, discourage anglers from booking an exclusive charter.

~Written by Gina Clark

WONT close early ???? you must be a coomie fisherman wanting to lease out your quota, YES there should be changes !!!!! how about what the commies dont use they LOSE.... easy to fix what they leave in the water every year to "carry over"!!!!!!!!!
apperently they dont want to fill it up so give it to the sport sector which bring way more money into communities and towns than a commie fisher EVER will. and dont even try and debate that one!!!!!

WOLF

Oh Bonny what a crock of shiet, if anyone buys quota they should be shot and ****-d on. What a joke that idea was and is. Agree with Wolf use it or lose it.

agree with everything except ****-d on. They don't deserve that much attention/effort.

The commies will take all there quota this year as in the past years. Perhaps leave a small amount to do a carry over just in case next years quota is smaller. They will even burn fuel and overload the market just to make a point that they need, deserve, entitled to, want or otherwise have to keep the allocation at 88/12. The freezers will have thousands of spare pounds this year waiting for a market. It seems to me that the trouble or friends to the south are having, with there politicians creating and economic crisis, will soften the market for there overpriced catch. You know that 80% of their catch goes south right.

Not a pound of Halibut should be sold outside of Canada till all Canadian needs are meet.
Seems simple to me.

GLG:mad:

Cam go watch some comedy network TV.
Don't want you having a jammer buddy.

No, Mr. Bonny...he's just someone who we heard from under a former handle...read between the lines of the oh so familiar prose and you will figure it out.

yeh, bit tired. same old stuff. Commies good, sporties bad. The real truth is always some place in the middle of that trash...but its still fun to bash about the competition - they always bite, unlike the fish.

So here is what they (SFI) predicted

2011 Season Canadian TAC predicted to be similar to 2010.
71,000 lbs predicted overage in 2010 to be deducted from 2011 allocation.

Effort estimated to be similar to 2010.
Start Feb 1st when would season end?
2\3 July 15th
2\2 Aug 1st
1\2 Aug 20th
Now as you know our season did not start on Feb 1, like it should have, it started March 1. We have a limit of 1 a day and a possession limit of 2, will we be closed in August? Perhaps we will we don’t know, that's part of the problem. How do I book a trip if I don't know if it will be open when I get there? I can tell you that me and my friends sure aren’t fishing for halibut like we use to because of the expense to keep 1 fish. So I would predict that effort is down from 2010. Did we get dinged on the overage? If I’m not mistaken our TAC was increased from 2010 and that has an affect on the prediction.

Bonnevillebounty get the facts before you try to blow smoke up our you know what.

GLG:mad:

Not a pound of Halibut should be sold outside of Canada till all Canadian needs are meet.
Seems simple to me.

Seems simple to me.

Can you define need? Is it enough to eat, feed the neighbourhood, sell or barter for services?

Can you define need? Is it enough to eat, feed the neighbourhood, sell or barter for services?
Yes it is for me and my family to eat.
No it's not for the neighbourhood as I checked the food bank can not accept sport caught fish.
They can however accept commercial caught fish, hint, hint.
However the single mom down the street does get some of my harvest to feed her kids.
Sell or barter, why no that's against my ethics as I do this for personal reasons not for financial gain.

The commercial sector ships halibut out of the country and yet as a country we still import halibut.
How can this be if all Canadians needs are being meet.
The Canadian public is shut down and our limits are cut in half.
How can this be if all Canadians needs are being meet.

Simple you see.
GLG

... Ps - Hhmmm, SFI said that we would be closed in July. SFI was adamant that we[sportfisherman] would be closed in JULY[NO QUESTION]. Yes, July! Why are we not closed [YET]? Why is SFI so quiet[ON THE HALIBUT ISSUE]? Why has DFO not closed halibut[SPORT]? Do the DFO numbers really work, or do they not work at all? Which is it?

Do Canadians use up the halibut quota or does the analysis of stats share that they are proportionally used by outside entities[other countries other than Canadians]? In times of failing economies, what impact is shared between Canadians and other sport harvesters? Is it Guide and Lodge entities who rely on access more than average Joe Canadian? Which is it?

Did you know that the law provides for you access to opportunity in order to provide for you and your family? Did you know that every single human being who lives in BC has a right to food in BC? Did you know that there is a difference between a licensed angler and a human being where considered an opportunity to harvest food[tidal-water fish] in BC?

Say what you will, learn what you want - the law gives you rights, and no new law can steal less than has been written.[if it existed it can not be taken away]

Ding Dong....someone ring the door bell :)

Back