Yeah :). Nice to get one back

Hopefully more people will think about getting an EPIRB or SPOT or both. Assuming he didn't have one. Wow, is he lucky. How they ever found him in the dark is a miracle

Wow good news nice to hear! That is a loong time. Wonder what kind of boat he had that would stay afloat? When I did the power squadron course we went out to the base where the coast guard and search and rescue work out of and they said even a text works. Texts send out pulse signals which are different from a actual call so if your in a area where reception is sketchy your more likey to get a message out and they can pin point you from that. Also said those spot things wernt very good at all. Ill have to look up my notes to see way they thought that. In a pinch it would be better then nothing. They recommend something else ill have to see what it was. Also another reason to left people know where you are launching from and the area you planning to go.

he is well versed in the area he was fishing, he is a native fellow that has grown up here, the boat was a 20 ft campion...anytype of cell or text would do eff all out here...epirb is the way to go for sure..cant exactly put a price on your life.....holmes*

Having fished out there off Kyuquot many times.....you are right, a cell phone wouldn't do jack squat unless he wanted to play Angry Birds while waiting for rescue. ;) I have tried sending texts many a time from Kyuquot and they never have worked over the years; not sure if what fish stalker is mentioning would in fact "possibly" work. In saying that though....I'd prefer a waterproof device in the event of a capsize; although when on the boat or skiing if my Blackberry is on me it's always in a ziplock.

A SPOT, EPIRB or handheld VHF would have been the ticket. This is exactly why I purchased a handheld VHF last year and if isn't clipped to my belt or in the pocket of my jacket/weather gear it is attached to the outside of my waterproof "ditch" bag which is always in very close proximity.

As my girlfriend always says......"Safety never takes a holiday". :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great saying,Pippen. I also carry a handheld on me at all times when offshore,but an EPIRB would be even
sweeter. May be it's time just to cough up the coin and do it.It's stories like this that get a guy thikin' !!

HE HAD A FLOATER SUIT ON WITH A FLASHLITE ON THE SHOULDER and thats how they spotted him....but yes, deffinately a lottery ticket,lol....holmes*

I was wondering how he survived so long. Those floater suits obviously help increase your time of survival. The light was a bonus too. Let's keep this one on the minds folks for safety. It's your life and others on board (possibly). What are you going to do in this situation?. Learn from it.

I hope he is ok. If you know anything else holmes keep us posted man.

Cheers,
Sculpin

I am getting a ditch bag prepared, something I can grab if the boats going down, flares, flashlite, portable waterproof vhf...Watched a boat on you tube go down and it was amazing how fast it went.

Back