YEAH more restrictons for area 19/20

wolf

The Department is implementing management measures designed to reduce fishery exploitation rates on Fraser River Spring 4-2 chinook in commercial, recreational and First Nations fisheries. These Fraser River chinook stocks begin returning through the Victoria Area in March. Management measures for the recreational fishery in portions of Areas 19 and 20 are outlined below. Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) members have been consulted on these measures.Effective March 1 until 23:59 hours Friday June 15, 2012, additional recreational fishery restrictions on chinook salmon will be in effect in Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Pt to Sheringham Pt.). During this time period and in this area the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery marked between the size limit of 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked only chinook over 67 cm in length.

Consultations with the SFAB are ongoing.Notes:Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia. Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (866) 483-9994 end_of_the_skype_highlighting for further information.Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing information, can be found on the Internet at:www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfishDid you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 465-4336 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at 1-(866)431-FISH begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-(866)431-FISH end_of_the_skype_highlighting (3474) or at 604-666-2828 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 604-666-2828 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.Variation order 2012-77.For more information contact Brad Beaith (250) 756-7190 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (250) 756-7190 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0128
Sent February 24, 2012 at 1512

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i see the ETF fish only swim past this area again.... amazing that is i guess???? they must fly over caboro pt up the fraser river to the spawning beds ... do they fly past nanainmo and the river mouth and the FN nets too???? i wonder???

Simple solution B-W,rules are meant to be bent,where loop holes are present..fish west of Sheringham Pt - east of Cadboro Pt or concentrate your efforts in places frequented by the hatchery stocks.
Understanding bureaucrats is akin - rounding up stray cats!

This is the same notice that was posted last week in both the victoria and sooke report threads isn't it? Just want to be clear if this is a change or if it is the same restriction?

Has anyone heard of an angler who got in trouble for having a fish out of the slot limit? I don't know if DFO is above the law or not but in Canada you need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the fish in question was caught in a closed area. Just because your currently fishing otter point doesn't mean the dead fish in your box was caught there. When you can keep a wild one over here but not over there it is up to the DFO to prove where you caught the fish. That's why I don't get these restrictions I can't see how they could effectively enforce them.

The restriction itself does not bother me, what bothers me is limiting it to just this one area when in reality it should span the entire coast including the fraser river. In fact the river itself shoud be the main focus we all know that is where the main problem is but I agree if they make the FN let the fish pass in the river we all have to. I don't agree we have to let the fish pass but they do not.

In any event I am used to getting skunked especially early season so if I do catch a beauty and have to release it I'll still be really happy with the day. It is better to have caught and released then not caught at all.

Has anyone heard of an angler who got in trouble for having a fish out of the slot limit?

as long as the fish is recorded on your licence from the open area, it's legal.
you can continue fishing in the slot area, but you cannot retain wild fish over the slot size

This is where the law is such a joke. If they really wanted to keep people honest they would have added that once you have a wild fish over 67cm on board you cannot fish inside an area where that fish is illegal. In other words you can't be fishing off Becher with a wild 30 pounder on board and when DFO comes along....say you caught it earlier at Point No Point.

wolf don't worry about the fraser slot limit our restriction is coming but goes until july, but the fn can still gill net them in the river I guess they have selective nets that only catch the fish from non endanger runs and are better conservationist then us

dont worry?? yeah ok nah dont run a business thats ok right or make my living is that what your saying??
IF this is TRUELY about conservation then i wont fish but then close it down to everyone from the whole entire island till they get up there and THE RIVER as well.
We all now this political and not about conservation the fish that do get caught and realeased are going to die anyways....

Wolf

We all knew this was coming... Regardless of the projected returns.
The precedent was established when they started enforcing the slot size a couple years ago. The mindset is the same as our illustrious CRD and it's water restrictions.
Once the regulation is implemented, it's here to stay unless the population as a whole moves to reject it. And thats the kicker,isn't it? one month and a small group to mandate policy, and an entire nation with years of lobbying to remove it.

Fish first is right... it's just too bad the average sportie always has to come dead last.

Back