yamahaox 66 225sx throttle problem

morganic

I was on the water recently and noticed some thing about my engine. its a yamaha 225 ox66
saltwater series. when i throttled up to get on plane it would hesitate at about 3000rpm
. if i throttled down a bit and then up it would get up on plane but was limited to about 4000 rpm.
It was still running fine and getting up to 30 mph but would not rev above 4000rpm. I recently had serviced and tuned up(100 hour service) at galleon marine.
I talked to there service manager and was told to check the fuel pump diaphrams for cracks. I also read how a faulty thermostat can keep aboat limited to 4000 rpms and make it run rich. I did appear to be using more gas. Any advice or anyone know a good lower mainland outboard mechanic, used to use marpole marine but doug retired Thnx morgan

I am thinking that the diaphragms are a good guess ...they are supposed. To be changed out periodically.
If you search online at the hull truth you will find discussions regarding the 0X66.
With those symptoms .
I would guess that everything about 0X66 can be found there.
Neff Marine services is mobile and Ryan knows these engines.

I have to admit I'm not as familiar with EFI 2 strokes as with carbed models. However I believe there is a filter that plugs up often limiting fuel flow at higher rpms somewhere in or around the fuel/vapour separator? I've read before that guys take these apart and clean them out and problem solved.

thanks for the help guys. I have ryan from neff coming to help me early next week

Back