Yamaha T8 with power tilt - stolen....

Gents:

No, not selling a stolen one.....

Some sewer rat stole the kicker off my boat last night (in Burnaby). I know many of you frequent the buy and sell sites, so.....

if you see a 4 stroke Yamaha T8 for sale for a "good price" it may be mine and I would love to get it back.....and my hands on the culprit.

I am posting a photo here but a couple of things are unique on it:

1. It has a crush mark on the tiller side of the cowling....the whitish circle in the photo right next to the Y in Yamaha, if that makes sense when you see the photo.

2. The interior sleeve in the tiller handle is broken so when you hold the tiller you can feel the handle bend when you are moving the tiller to steer. The rubber on the handle is holding it all together - I meant to get it fixed but had not yet got around to it.....I doubt this will be a feature of the thief's advertisement, but it is subtle and you don't really notice it until you are hold the power control portion of the tiller and trying to steer it.

If anyone happens upon it on any of the for sale sites please let me know, phone or text.

Thanks, Rick

604-318-2236
IMG_2244.jpg

They did cut the cable, and the gas line, and the wiring for the electric start and power tilt. They appeared to be in a hurry. I should have listened to my dog who was barking her fool head off at 3am.

So the buggers returned last night. Tried to steal my neighbours kicker and were checking out the interior of my boat. If you live in Metro Vancouver and a big black SUV is cruising around your neighbourhood where boats are kept, keep an eye out. If a guy who has a prothesis on his lower right leg gets out (he helpfully had shorts on so we could see the missing leg) he is there with bad intent. This was followed up by two younger lads in a smaller, boxier black SUV (kind of mid sized) to do the actual removal. They are not afraid to come check it out, leave, and return when they are prepared to do the deed.

Too bad you did not catch the person with the prosthesis and perhaps gave him an opportunity to be fitted for a prosthesis on the other leg...

Did you report to the RCMP?

Should have made this public service announcement with the last post.

I did not know these tools existed until now.

1. McGuard outboard motor lock. Basically a bolt to attach your kicker to your boat that has a nut that functions the same way a wheel lock functions. The bad guys can't get any purchase on the nut unless they have the tool that fits the pattern on the nut, which is inside a metal sleeve so that can't tighten pliers on the nut to try and get it off. Simple but elegant way to avoid a theft. $46 at Checkpoint Yamaha.

2. Panther outboard motor lock. A metal box long enough to fit over the quick releases on your engine with an internal lock on it so the bad guys can't cut the lock off. Prevents them from untwisting the quick release toggles. Creates a metal sheath over the toggles. $40 at Checkpoint.

Nothing, of course, is perfect but for under a $100 you can have a lot more confidence that your kicker will still be on your boat in the morning. Wish I had discovered these earlier.

Sorry for your loss. I have had numerous things stolen from me over the years and can't wait to catch another thief. Caught a guy once....that was fun. All those locks out there for your kicker can/will be broken if they want it bad enough. I have 2 bolts going through the transom for the kicker. Tack welded the nuts in a couple spots so they have to use a grinder to cut them. My dog and I will wake up to that as my boat is right outside my window.

Sorry for your loss. I truly hope you or the next guy catches them. I have only once caught a thief in the act & I have never hurt any one as bad as I did him. Truthfully I am glad my wife was there to stop me or I would be in jail today.

Anyone who buys stolen goods is a scab & no different than the thief. Your fellow brothern (and sisters) will keep an eye out.

Everyone should post the details on Socail media and use networking to our advantage.

http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/index-eng.htm

You should register it on the CPIC database. Further anyone buying a used outboard or a used boat should run a search on it before you buy. If it turns up as registered stolen don't buy it and call the police.

Hope you contracted the police with the new information as it sounds like there is lots to work with. How many one legged bandits driving a big black SUV and with a very good chance they have a criminal record can there be in your community.

Next go out and buy a an outdoor video surveillance recording system as it sounds like they are casing your area and it is not uncommon for them to wait until a high value item is replaced with insurance money and them make another stop by down the road for the brand new one.
You may also want some of the new combined monitoring, motion activated light, speaker and loud alarm system that will call your on your cell phone app, let you see what is going on and allow you to talk to them and set off the alarm - lots of TV ads. on these systems.

We remove the kicker and keep it inside when our boat is put on land for storage during the winter.

Not impressed with the McGuard type lock systems. We had one on the kicker and forgot to take out the key for it one time when we were going to remove the kicker for servicing. Took two of us old guys all of 30 seconds to defeat it with a screwdriver and two sets of vicegrips. Could still be a deterrence though as it takes a little more time and they may not want to mess with the locks.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for the well wishes and the thoughts. The tack welding appeals to me but I intend to remove the kicker when I put the boat into storage this winter so that is out for this year at least. My fond hope is that with enough deterrents making it more difficult to remove it this will be an old issue that I can forget about.

Yeah, I thought the one legged bandit thing might be a clue. :)

Really wish that some people were just different.....

Back