Yamaha T8 Problem

Sitkaspruce

This weekend my T8 started to act up. It has always be tough to start when cold, but after it warms up it runs great....until yesterday. It ran great for about 2 hours, then it just slowly idled down and quite. I checked the gas line, the kill switch, and everything else I could, short of taking it apart. The bulb was soft when I squezzed it and when I pumped it to get firm, gas started spilling out of the carb. Nothing happened after trying to start it for about 30 min. I tilted it up and left it. At first I thought I flooded it, but after 30 min and not even a rough idle, I thought it had to be something else.

Today the same thing happened. It started, ran for about 2 hours, then quite. Repeated the same checks and no go. Fished for another hour and ran home. At home, I tried to start it and on the first pull it fired up.

Is gas supposed to run out of the carb when pumping the ball?
I thought I had an air lock, but after checking all the lines and seeing gas go into the carb, but would not fire, I am at a loss.

Sender unit?, problem with ball on the hose? carb problem? ??????

Any help would be appriciated.

Cheers

SS

I've got the same engine and had a somewhat similar problem last season. I don't know if gas was spilling out of my carb because I never checked (not very mechanical). Everything else you descibe sounds the same. It would run great, then quickly run rough and stop. Then I couldn't get it started again until it sat quite a while. Then later it would fire up on the hose and sound great.

I took it to the shop and they said the carb was loaded up with dirt and debris. Did a carb rebuild and it has purred ever since. Not sure if thats what you have going on. Before taking it to the shop, I ran Seafoam through it. It got better but didn't totally fix it. Good luck, maybe try Seafoam first and that might clean it out.

I should add that it has about 20 hours on it and is plumbed into the main tank. The main motor runs no problem.

Based on the 20 hrs on your engine, doesn't sound like I had the same problem as you do now. My guess now is some type of an air lock. Next time you go out try running straight off a portable tank and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't, I think there's some sort of an issue with how it's plumbed in.

I have heard of a simalier problem but it was the big motor.The guy had it plumbed from the main tank back to a T.Then one side to the main and the other side to the kicker.The main would suck out of the fuel line back threw the T and suck the fuel out of the kicker and suck air.The main would then stall and die.Don't know if this will help.

Is there any chance the Kicker was winterized and the carb drain left cracked open. Bronze Hex screw on the bottom of your carb. It may be loose and opens up as the engine warms up. Just a stab but worth checking.

Sitka heres a few questions for you.

- do you have a water sep filter just for your kicker?
- is it a separate line on its own from the main tank?

Wolf

Similiar problem with my yamaha 9.9 althought with lots of hours, idled rough, hard to start cold, stutter and stalled when throttle opened up, run for a bit then quit.

I tore the carb apart, sprayed all the jets out, rinsed with carb cleaner and now runs like new. Those jets are small so it takes very little to gunk them up. I'd try that first if your comfortable with tearing it down.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Sitka heres a few questions for you.

- do you have a water sep filter just for your kicker?
- is it a separate line on its own from the main tank?

Wolf

Wolf

It is a seperate line from the main tank, just not sure if it runs off the seperator or is staight from the main tank. I think that the water seperator is just for the main motor. I will check later this week and see.

Is the carb easy to tear down or is a lot of small, loose pieces that I will loose? Will appling carb cleaner work?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Cheers

SS

Sitka you should run a water sep. unit for each line I accually run 2 racors which you know are damn $$$$$$ but my engines are also worth that too!!!!
Any water, dirt etc especially if you dont have a filter for it will build up and make your engine run like crap your probably going need a tear down to get rid of the gunk that in there running carb clean wont help too much sounds as if you got crud in the bowl and every time you use it it swishes around and disturbs the sediment in it.

After its clean put an inline filter set up like a racor or an aftermarket one, your kicker is worth it and headache which your probably going through.

There area few little pieces in there but its not too bad a air compresser is a huge help to blow the small ports clean and you will need some agressive solvent and a little pick to reach into the corners etc keep every thing clean and in place on a white towel and you will be fine.or take it to a shop!!!

Good luck Wolf

Sitka you should run a water sep. unit for each line I accually run 2 racors which you know are damn $$$$$$ but my engines are also worth that too!!!!
Any water, dirt etc especially if you dont have a filter for it will build up and make your engine run like crap your probably going need a tear down to get rid of the gunk that in there running carb clean wont help too much sounds as if you got crud in the bowl and every time you use it it swishes around and disturbs the sediment in it.

After its clean put an inline filter set up like a racor or an aftermarket one, your kicker is worth it and headache which your probably going through.

There area few little pieces in there but its not too bad a air compresser is a huge help to blow the small ports clean and you will need some agressive solvent and a little pick to reach into the corners etc keep every thing clean and in place on a white towel and you will be fine.or take it to a shop!!!

Good luck Wolf

Thanks Wolf

The kicker does run off a seperator, it is an aftermarket one with Yamaha filters. It was just changed at the 50 hour check up (main motor) and now the hours are 69. I looked at the filter and it looks clean. I will check the carb and re-check all the lines.

If it is crap in the carb, why does it run smooth after letting it sit for an hour or so and then run for about 2 hours then quite. I can understand it running rough and such if there is crap, but to run smooth and then just quite baffles me.

I will get to the bottom of this.

Thanks so far to all that are giving me ideas.

Cheers

SS

Good luck Wolf

Thanks Wolf

The kicker does run off a seperator, it is an aftermarket one with Yamaha filters. It was just changed at the 50 hour check up (main motor) and now the hours are 69. I looked at the filter and it looks clean. I will check the carb and re-check all the lines.

If it is crap in the carb, why does it run smooth after letting it sit for an hour or so and then run for about 2 hours then quite. I can understand it running rough and such if there is crap, but to run smooth and then just quite baffles me.

I will get to the bottom of this.

Thanks so far to all that are giving me ideas.

Cheers

SS

Now you got me confused?????sorry what I wrote was if you didnt have a sep and water and sludge could get into your carb.

Wondering if that thing has a thermostat and it is over heating??? fter 2 hours (maybe slightly closed) like the old hondas used to do. might want to get it checked professionally

Good luck Wolf

Now you got me confused?????sorry what I wrote was if you didnt have a sep and water and sludge could get into your carb.

Wondering if that thing has a thermostat and it is over heating??? fter 2 hours (maybe slightly closed) like the old hondas used to do. might want to get it checked professionally

Good luck Wolf

fuel definately shouldnt be coming out of your carb. Your problem is the float valve is not seating and is flooding. When you let it sit, it will clear itself then be able to start again. You probably have dirt in your bowl and is intermittantly getting between your needle and seat., you can take that to the bank!

fuel definately shouldnt be coming out of your carb. Your problem is the float valve is not seating and is flooding. When you let it sit, it will clear itself then be able to start again. You probably have dirt in your bowl and is intermittantly getting between your needle and seat., you can take that to the bank!

Back