Yamaha T8 high voltage, issue or not?

Olde School

Hello, everyone.

My 2006 Yamaha 8HP high thrust kicker has started showing a voltage of 15.2 according to my Lowrance HDS7.
The kicker is electric start and charges my batteries.
Any ideas as to what this is about? Is it a problem and if so, how critical is it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The 15.2 is al least 1 volt higher than it should be. Either the voltage is in-correct or the HDS is reporting it incorrectly.
If it is too high, it will eventuality ruin your battery. I could also harm anything electrical (like the HDS) but most of this stuff is specified for an input voltage of 16 volts or more.

You may be able to determine were the problem lies by what the HDS says the voltage is with the engine off. If it reads 14 volts or lower, I would indicate the regulator as most battery's when not being charged will measure lower than the voltage is when they are being charged.

Thank you both for the help.
I have a new reg/rec in hand.
My plan is now to watch V on kicker vs main. If kicker shows significantly higher then I will swap the part out.

You can sometimes fry it if you fire up kicker with no battery selected or hooked up. Or if you fire up main while running kicker.....sometimes

You can sometimes fry it if you fire up kicker with no battery selected or hooked up. Or if you fire up main while running kicker.....sometimes
You shouldn't run both engines at the same time? I often do especially if there is lots of wind or current. I have a thing about not being under power.
Am I asking for trouble?

According to most mfgr's of regulator's like Balmar, one regulator will dominate with no damage to the other regulator. FYI Balmar makes a product called a "Centerfielder" for charging a battery with 2 engines.

Alternators (should) have diodes to prevent damage coming from another power source. I run my Merc kicker and my Volvo i/o at the same time quite often. Like Fish Brain, I'd prefer not to be without power from one engine or the other.

I'm no expert, but I think it can depend on how your system is wired up as to whether you can run into issues. I've read on many sites that you can fry components if you run both motors off the same battery at once.

I have my motors wired separately with 2 perko battery switches. I don't have to worry if I run them at the same time because they are on separate batteries. I can still combine the batteries with the "ALL" setting for emergency low start situations (but then I would not want to run my kicker at the same time)

Never switch to the "OFF" position on a battery switch while the motor is running or you will fry components.

I guess different motors could have better safeguards to prevent problems, but I'd rather not find out the hard way mine don't. So, my motors are wired separately to prevent those type of issues.

I figure better safe than sorry.

Back