Yamaha T8 high thrust

Sir Reel

I have a 2004 Yamaha T8 high thrust with about 200 hours on it. I trailer and flush with fresh water after each use. Was wondering if I should replace the water pump impeller. Manual says dealer inspection at 200 hours. Is is something I can change myself? Should I worry about it? Motor runs flawlessly.
SR

NewBoat2-1.jpg

Whoo Hoo!!! I am a junior member. no more newbie for me![8D]
Another couple thousand posts and I might even know something :D

NewBoat2-1.jpg

Replace it if you're using it in salt. They are cheap to replace now rather than lose an engine to overheating. Had the impeller on my big engine bite the dust earlier this year at about 150 hours on it. I think if you are going to have the dealer inspect it (or go about inspecting it yourself) you might as well spend the extra $20 for the part and put your mind at ease.

Also recommend picking up a bottle of Salt-Away and flushing your engine with their garden hose adapter. Same procedure -- flush the motor with fresh water then run Salt-Away until it comes out of the pee-hole and let the stuff stay inside the engine. Cleans out the existing salt deposits that build up from the heat.

TenMile
<'((((><

PS: I'm an "Advanced Member" (or at least that's what I tell my wife [:p])

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Terry,

where do you get "saltaway" in Victoria ?

Tks

I got mine at Westmarine. Trotac probably carries it too although I've not checked. I like the stuff. It works as a boat wash too -- blast it on the rods, gear, downriggers and all over the boat when you are done for the day. It apparently leaves a protective coating on the stuff that stops the salt from building up.

I started another thread about 6 months ago on In-Water Engine Flushing. I added a flush port setup to my Mercruiser and run Salt-Away through it almost every outing. Takes 5 minutes. One dispenser full flushes both the main and kicker and washes the boat.

TenMile
<'((((><

I contacted Port Boat House in PA (where I bought the motor)and they said
"If you are not having any overheating issues and your tell tale is as strong as ever, I wouldn’t touch it. Yamaha impellers are notoriously dependable and long lasting."
SR

NewBoat2-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sir Reel

I contacted Port Boat House in PA (where I bought the motor)and they said
"If you are not having any overheating issues and your tell tale is as strong as ever, I wouldn’t touch it. Yamaha impellers are notoriously dependable and long lasting."
SR

NewBoat2-1.jpg

Probably good advice. However, given the cost of the part, if you were going to inspect it I'd just replace it on spec and keep the old one as a spare.

I'm pretty sure the T8 has an overheat alarm on it -- I've got one of these kickers too but can't remember. With the alarm, at least you'd know...

TenMile
<'((((><

Replace it, its cheap and you'll have peace of mind. You should remove the leg bolts one at a time (every year) and lube them up anyway. If you don't the job of replacing that impeller could get complicated. They will seize and you risk broken off bolts or at the very least you'll be screwing up the legs paint with heat to get them loose. Change the gear oil while you have the leg on the bench...less awkward then when on the motor.

Back