Yamaha T8 and 9.9 models- Shift Cable Mounting Bracket Screw vibrating off.

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
Guys this is the stupidest thing that can really be a problem if it happens on the water. Anyone that has any of these models should check the screw than holds on the shift cable assembly bracket. I would suggest putting soem locktight on it/ or at least just checking its tight...If that screw is gone you cannot use your motor the shifter wont engage forward/reverse so your dead in water. Its a known issue....

Here is another forum explaining it with location...

http://forums.imhooked.com/index.php?topic=31193.0

Thought I would pass it along... It almost wrecked my fishing day today but we were able to troll on main thankfully...

I just fixed this today what an absolute *****... I will be carrying some spares just in case it ever happens again. The only way I could get the screw was with a pickup magnet...Another must have item. Like I said without that screw in place your motor cannot shift at all. I will be checking this each trip when I run out as part of procedure...I put some lock tight on as well.

My T8 would loosen 2-3 times a year thought it was a normal Yamaha problem..... One more on the list of Yamaha problems

mine went again today!!! Luckily I had a spare its seems like this is going to be repeating...And it is getting old..I put thread lock on out but backed off.. This time it jammed the linkage so I couldn't even start..(manual start).. Everyone should check that this screw is tight. I am going to look at alternative fastener with a wicking high strength locktite... The blue thread low strength lock isn't strong enough obviously... I bet you over half are loose. Accident waiting to happen.

Last outing on my boat and screw was mia. Trolled on the main but wish I didn't have to. Screw from Yamaha was like $4 so I told parts guy to pound sand and went to force fasteners and picked up a bolt, lock washer and reg washer for $1. Might clean both threads with sovent and some red locktite.

Try richening the idle mixture screw - maybe even a full turn out - smooth out the vibrations - worked on mine, my cousins's and uncle's 9.9's

I will take a look at that.. But I may just go with a longer screw if I can and nylock.. That should fix it. Very poor design choice using a screw like with a shoulder with minimal thread to thread into two light gauge pieces of material...... It is no wonder it vibrates off. Careful Dave with high strength red loctite...Its awesome stuff but sometimes to awesome, and it may not budge without heating it up...

I am going to inspect the other fasteners while I am at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to using the motor without the screw. Not hard. My shift cable froze up and sheared the aluminum plate in handle. When replacing cable, I realized the rubber plug on the starboard side of the motor can be popped out and is where a shift handle can be attached. Just use a wrench on the square shaft to shift. May have to run with cover off.

Back