Yamaha Ring free vs. Seafoam

I don't know about ring free but I use sea foam annually. In my diesel truck too. I don't run a full can through at one time. Quarter can four times because too much at once freed up a bunch of sludge and plugged up a friends injectors.

I use seafoam twice a year in my daily driver. I add one can to a tank of gas, makes a huge difference in how she runs. I have been doing this for years. You will notice your outboard runs much better after a can of this. and I know it runs well now...lol

Last edited:
When you guys say 1/4 can to a tank or 1 can to a tank, what size tanks are you talking about?

All my life I have read the ads for Seafoam and dismissed it as another waste of money snake oil product. Last year my Lordco guy convinced me to run it through my outboard and it now runs like a new motor. The history of Seafoam is interesting.

I recently went to purchase sea foam from mechanic and was recommended I get ring free.
Seafoam is a treatment and ring free an additive I believe.
I'm working my way through a bottle now. 10ml to 10 ltr.

Scott,
I use Ring free as recommended by Yammy,
My motors had 500 hours on them when I bought the boat, I now have 1300 and they purr like kittens, I don't have a kicker and troll alternating between my mains to keep hours inline with one another, whether they run well because of the ring free I don't know but I'm not going to stop using it to find out either lol, I pulled the injectors last year and sent them out for rebuild and was told the nozzles were super clean and the spray pattern on them was perfect.
Sorry no experience with seafoam, other then their penetrating fluids
Which work well by the way.
Tim

Mercury also makes a comparable product called quickleen.

I use Mercury Quickleen in my Optimax with over 1000hrs, I use about 40ml to 80-100l of fuel. I use it as a maintenance dosage and motor starts and runs mint, also used it many hours for trolling with no trouble. Back in the day when I researched it pretty sure I found that its the same as Techron...

I use Seafoam in the main tank occasionally for maintenance and if I notice the slightest hesitation or roughness at idle or lower speed range in the 225 Opti, especially when cold and it always cleans it up; not that it is a common occurrence.

This tank also feeds the 9.9 Yami kicker. I am curious if there would be any additive compatibility (Yami Ringfree, Merc Quicklean etc,) or preference issues with motors of such different design being feed from the same large 80 gal tank. So far all it gets is Seafoam from time to time and fuel stabilizer when hauled out for the winter. I always use Marine gas which is midgrade octane level and supposedly does not have some of the auto additives that are hard on marine fuel systems.

Last edited:
Im for Sea foam. The stuff definitley helps and numerous adds preach that it's safe on the engines, would assume within the recommended amounts. After I ran a cleaning dosage, I coincidentally noticed the paint from my aluminum prop missing where the exhaust blows out. If it did that to the paint, I could only assume what itd do to the carbon build ups.

Not to continue completely derailing the thread but while were discussing maintainence treatments, I was recommended to use salt away while flushing the engine. Especially for extended use in salt water to keep the metal parts free of corrosion but it is fairly expensive though.

Last edited:
Im for Sea foam. The stuff definitley helps and numerous adds preach that it's safe on the engines, would assume within the recommended amounts. After I ran a cleaning dosage, I coincidentally noticed the paint from my aluminum prop missing where the exhaust blows out. If it did that to the paint, I could only assume what itd do to the carbon build ups.

Not to continue completely derailing the thread but while were discussing maintainence treatments, I was recommended to use salt away while flushing the engine. Especially for extended use in salt water to keep the metal parts free of corrosion but it is fairly expensive though.

Pricey, but it works and when you consider the price of new power seems pretty cheap. Usually buy it on sale in the spring.

Back