Yamaha MSRP US

spring fever

Just curious how the cost of a yamaha 300 Y 4 stroke compares between here and the States. Almost impossible to find out. Yamaha Canada has a MSRP proudly displayed in the 26k region-no special deals mentioned-however on the US site it is impossible to get a MSRP out of them. They do say that as a special offer they will increase warrenty to 5 years or give you 2000 off MSRP. Good luck with finding that!!! So how do cost of outboards compare between here and the states or here and Alta even? We are talking new ,only

Last edited by a moderator:
just email a place I did huge surprise I wanted a 115 to 150 yamaha. so emailed a place (browns landing in scapusse oregon (no sales tax in oregon )) he phoned me a 115 was $8600 up here was 11000, brand new in a crate , asked him about the 150 $10800 down there, up here $17800,and it comes with 3 years extended warranty but that is the down side is yamaha canada won't honor a usa warranty no big deal for me as I live in delta and have a nexus pass. the dollar was above par when I went down, wife and I made a weekend hit cabelas for the opening then your allowed 400 to bring back so the girl at customs transfered it to Canadian dollars and just paid gst and pst on $9600. I would email a couple of places, and if they don't respond then they don't want your business

Well put the cat among the pigeons and sent off a couple of e-mails-see if we get anything. What happens if you brought the motor across the border from the states into alberta-you'd only pay GST right?

THat's not the case SF.
You have to provide proof of residential address at the border. If you're a BC resident they still hit you with the PST/HST for the provincial boys. I used to build high end custom homes and bought a ton of stuff in the US because of price and availability. I tried every way possible to save a few dollars short of smuggling. Fact is the savings on most products, especially expensive ones, is so big that even paying the combined taxes getting stuff down there is still a Fire-sale. I had a customer who's plumbing fixtures in Canada would have been $36,000.00 (yea, I know, NUTS). We special ordered the product from a supplier we had in Montana. Total cost AFTER the taxes was a hair over $12,000.00. For that kind of savings on product, I'll gladly pay the taxes.

The other thing is that US dealers in the Marine/Motorcycle/Auto industry are not supposed to sell to Canadians. They don't advertise the prices because of the issues it causes for their Canadian retailers. Some Brands/Companies will even pull a dealers licence or franchise if they catch a dealer doing it. I could tell you a ton of stories about examples of that one.

Still, if you can find a dealer willing to take the risk, have atter! It's money in your pocket.

If you can somehow relate it to a business purchase you get the whole HST back. One of the advantages of the HST. Everything is cheaper in the states...and true, Cdn stores will not honor US warranty but not that big of a deal, our engine blew up on us this summer and we just took it down to San Juan Islands where we purchased it and got it rebuilt for free...had to purchase exact same engine mid season but now we have a spare...something that is never a bad thing when you are putting 400-500hours a summer on an engine.

Figured a short drive to the montana /alta border had to be covered but thought I'd check. See you at the Bar-B- que!!

I think a lot of Canadians (me included) are getting really annoyed at how badly we're getting hosed on prices for a lot of goods. I've been looking at new cars and the difference between here and the US is ridiculous. I've contacted some manufacturers to complain about this inequity but pretty much got blown off.

Well, I will point out something that is not generally known to the buying public. This is 24 year old information however, and things may have changed. In 1986 I was a motorcycle\snowmobile dealer in B.C. Both the motorcycles, (dirt and street) as well as the sleds were all priced from wholesale (my cost) to MSRP (the manufacturers suggested and advertised retail price) was exactly 20%. Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda were just starting to really pound the outboard sales with Honda leading the pack. Now, 20% on a $4,000. item is $800. bucks. Not bad at all....except that 20% was based on the unit in the crate on the loading dock in Vancouver, B.C. Not in Kelowna, B.C. where I happened to have my shop. We were very big in dirt bike sales and the average dirt bike was a little less than $2,000. $400. profit....just a sec.....$120. freight bill. Crate is now in back-yard. 2 hr. for mechanic to uncrate and assemble. Another hour for fluids, fuel, and start, run, and adjust for ease of operation. Parts cost $25. ?? I always figured just under $100. in those costs. So now I got $180. to play with. Wanna free helmet thrown it? A fancy coat? How about motorcross boots? There was just nothing left. Now if the item didn't sell within 30 days I had an interest payment to make on the unit. Remember 1986 try 14.75% wholesale fianance fees. I had +$400,000. in inventory in those days. STOOPID ME...Yes, but I was playing the game along with all the other dealers. I was out of the business by 1988 along with every one of my competitors. Yes, the brands and the dealers are still there but everyone that was in the business with in the '80s has left and a whole bunch of new suckers (retailers) are now in the game. Has it changed?? I would certainly hope so. I had always wanted a motorcycle shop as I love bikes and I thought what better way to enjoy life would be to live and work in a giant toy store for adults. It got pretty hard to keep a smile on my face and an upbeat attitude towards my customers when I was going broke. I sure hope things have changed for Canadian dealers of Japanese leisure products. i.e. bikes, sleds, outboards, generators, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear what you are saying Ex and I certainly don't expect someone to give me an outboard without making a fair profit on it. The U.S dealers won't sell an outboard without making a profit -now if I drive down -pay a ferry, pay the Hst and have all the agro of warrenty problems and still wind up saving a lot of money for exactly the same outboard then something is wrong with the system and they all(yamaha ,dealers et al) deserve exactly what they get. I still can't get a price out of the States on a 300 and maybe you have to do face time to get it-maybe the price difference is not that great and not worth it but I will certainly find out!!

Some good advice regarding the warranty. You will not be able to have any work done under warranty here in Canada on US purchased motors. Not worth the hassle in my view. Nothing more important to me than being able to get fast in-season service. Can you really afford to be laid up in August spending $1,000 return ferry fares plus travel cost to get your boat across the border for service? Not so sure it is worth it. Shop local at a dealer who you know will be able to provide fast service.

just one more thing to check if you buy in the US is the warranty. some companies will not cover USA models in canada (suzuki) I'm not sure about yamies but i would talk to Yamaha canada before buying outside the country.

Charlie pretty well covered that one-they don't-so you have to get so good a deal that you are prepared to take it back to where you bought it .

I don't have any problem, at all. LOL
But, as mentioned in my PM... I realy would have be to looking at those "Verado's" :D

Back