Yamaha Lightweight 25hp Fourstroke...?

Seafever

Yamaha makes a 25 horse 4-stroke that is quite lightweight. (It's a 2 cylinder)

130 to 140 lbs.(Depending on options)

Do you own one of these?

How do you like it?

I was looking at those also but they are only out this year I hate buying anything in the first year, they are like 128 lbs compared to 168 lbs for regular ones that a big difference

I run a main and a kicker. There's only so much weight you can put on the back of an aluminum (if following the rules).

My 30 horse Merc is pretty heavy. I have a 4 horse kicker (one cylinder)that never gets used because it's damn noisy and vibrational. So it's just there as a spare " emergency" engine.

Was going to put a 2 cyl 8 horse kicker on it. But that would take me over the weight limit.

I troll using the 30. It's nice and quiet (3 cyl).

Only drawback is I go hours trolling with it. Because of that it "makes" oil and the oil gets dirty real quick. So after every trip I drain about half the oil out and replace as well as take all the plugs out and
get rid of all the black carbon etc. If I don't do that I get rough sporadic trolling at some point in the trip.

So my thought was go to the lightweight 25 and then I could put a bigger useable 2 cyl kicker on there and the total weight would be within limit.

Don't know if I'd be that much farther ahead though. A 2 cyl 8 horse kicker is most likely way quieter than a 4 horse one cyl and no doubt smoother running.

Yamaha claims the lightweight 25 is specially made to troll with. But a 2 cyl is not quite as smooth as a 3 cyl.

So I'm still mulling it all over.

Have you tried a hotter thermostat for the making oil issue?

No I haven't yet. Good idea. I'll see if I can get one.

This one never runs that hot at the best of times. Supposed to be 130F I believe. But when I stick my hand in the expelled water it doesn't feel anywhere near that.

I replaced a stock thermostat in the 4 horse because that seemed cold too. Didn't seem to to raise the temp much if at all. (It was replaced with a stock one though).

Update:-

Spoke to my local Merc mechanic. He said that on these new Merc 4-strokes, the water expel stream up near the cowling does not reflect the real temp. Apparently it bypasses the thermostat.
(Unlike older engines where you could see the water jet changing as the thermostat opened and closed).
Suggested getting a digital heat read-out gun and taking the actual temp of the head while it is running.
Ditto for the 4-horse.

Last edited:
I was looking at those also but they are only out this year I hate buying anything in the first year, they are like 128 lbs compared to 168 lbs for regular ones that a big difference

Been watching a few videos on this Yamaha F25. Seems like a good engine.

Back