yamaha kickers

Has anyone noticed any difference , if any, between the 9.9 and the newer 8 hp yamaha kickers? Dealer says no difference in performance but the T8 is quite abit lighter. Any experience with these ?

I hear others raving about the 8HP High Thrust, over the 9.9, I don't know the difference, but just what I've read on other forums, the 8HP High Thrust is apparently awesome! (That's what I'm going with once I find a little extra $$$) :)

I have a 21ft grady which is very heavy and I use a Yamaha T8 with power tilt and have wired it up the the console for key start and throttle control. It's awesome and pushes me no problem and sips the gas as quietly as can be! Great choice if you ask me!

SWC

Form what the major difference was after I looked into them was charhing amps and the big one was electric choke on the 9.9 and a manual choke on the high 8 but great motors tahts for sure.

Good luck Wolf

Thanks guys really good input. Wolf, did you find that the charging amps on the 8 were enough to keep up the starting battery for 8 and the downriggers. I've got a 9.9 now and never had any problems with starting or the 2 scotties I have rigged to it.I think the 9.9 puts out 9 or 10 amps and the 8 puts out about 6. Does this sound about right?

The 8 hp. is great in heavy swell, with a little more spunk, beit weight or design I found it out performed the 9.9 hp. That couple of pounds makes for a little easier of a time pulling off a dockside switch.-dirty

Saltspringer I went with the 9.9 I found a used one with only 4 hours on it and couldnt pass it down, I would have the high 8 but glad i stuck with the more charging because i need a lot of power the new motor alone (main) need alot more power than before mine needs a min 1000 cca for a startng battery and I want as much benifet as possable start adding the draw on all your gear
Sounder, 2 downriggers, radar ,stereo ,vhf ,bliges etc that alot of power and I personally dont want to be out there stranded And I know the high 8 would do it but more is better LOL

Wolf

I have the New T8 on my boat 2006 Model. No problem keeping downriggers, sounders, computer, stereo etc going..I have no trouble starting the main after a day of fishing.

I should have added a few other electics I run off the T8...raw water washdown, bilge, and satellite radio receiver...as well as previously mentioned (scotty electrics)

I have a 2005 9.9 Highthrust trolls awsome and has enough charging for all my gadgets.(over 150 hours)The biggest draw is pulling my prawn gear and I have not been let down yet!I only run my gear on my house battery and have my main engine starting on it its own battery on a switch.Hard to say if the extra charging would be an issue but all the T 8's were back ordered so I got the 9.9 HT and no complaints!!!
kronic

8 HP high thrust Yamaha , runs well , cheap on gas ,starts immediately , charges all my equipment , satisfied.

AL

I have had a merc,evinrude,honda,and now a 9.9 hi thrust yamaha,its the best one of the bunch.The other ones were fine,but I really like the yamaha.Reliable,good on gas,quiet,charges everthing,lots of power in the tide rips, cant ask for anything more than that. DAN

Back