Yamaha impeller change

KCW

I have a 1997 yamaha 9.9 hp 4 stroke and wondering if the impeller is easy to change. I have changed impeller's in
older outboards before and some were easy and some became nightmares.

Thanks

A lot will depend on the level of corrosion present.
if you can get the bolts out and drop the leg, you've won half the battle.

What R.S. said. The toughest thing is dealing with corroded bolts. Apart from that, disconnect the shift lever, unbolt the leg and drop it. Easy peasy.

I don't know the degree of applicability here but I did my 225 yammi and getting the bottom end off was tough til I bought some plastic fallers wedges and it got it off with no cracks or gouges in the case.

Thanks Guy's, I have changed them in the past , never a problem with my old 9.9 evinrude but when i tried a 75HP it turned into a week project. Could not get it apart than I hurt things on it that had to get fixed , bent the water tube trying to get i back together Etc. Sounds like the 9.9 4stroke is basic
Thanks again

You can try searching on You tube. It's amazing the amount of "How To" videos they have on there.

Yes, it's "basic" (if there are no corrosion issues) but it would be a good idea to have ALL the parts that you might need to do the job RIGHT.

Case in point: as an absolute minimum, you'll need a new impeller and a gasket for the impeller housing (this you probably know already)

But if the impeller housing is worn (or scored) or the plate the impeller sits on is worn (or scored), it wouldn't be a bad idea to change-out everything.

Short answer--purchase the whole Impeller Kit, then use the parts on an "as needed" basis.

www.boat.net has all that stuff which maybe you also already know

It was just the thermostat, easy to replace . Thanx for help guys. Just need to go fishing now.

Back