Yamaha HPDI's

B

big shooter

Have any of you fellows had problems or have heard of users who have had problems with their Yamaha HPDI's. The powerhead went on mine with less than 400 hours on it? Is this a common complaint with these engines?

I have a 250 HPDI. 850 hours with no problems (knock on wood). I have had heard some bad reports of infant mortality (blowing powerheads in the first couple hundred hours) If they had all their updates and recalls they are ok. They don't tolerate any water in the fuel so it is paramount to check your racor and other filters religiously. Did your engine have all the updates BS?

I run twin Merc 225's (build by Yamaha) Salt Water Series. I haven't had any problems. Things are just about bullet proof!

I agree with C.S. "Opti's lead the way for 2-strokers", but now days with the new developments... I would buy a 4-stoke!

quote:Originally posted by richmake

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

I run twin Merc 225's (build by Yamaha) Salt Water Series. I haven't had any problems. Things are just about bullet proof!
And super good on fuel[:0]
love the smell of the 2 stroke at idle while your trolling all day....clients love it:D

The combined burn rate of my twins (4-stroke) burn 1/gal a mile... it doesn't seem to make any difference if I am running 3/kts or 30/kts... 1/gal per mile! The only real difference… I just get there quicker. At an idle I think they make fuel?? They haven’t convinced me otherwise. And that 68db noise level really drives me batty, I can hardly hear them running so I can’t really tell that there’s nothing wrong. :)

I really miss that smell of the 2-stroke, too! But I do have to admit… I also miss having to guess how much oil is needed to put in those 3/gal tanks to get the right mixture more… aah, the good old days! :D

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

My twin Zukes burn 16gph at cruise and burn air at idle

One of my 2002 2 stroke mercs used to burn 17gph by itself...oh the good old day's:D

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

What do you cruise at? Is this on your big Grady?

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Ya that's right...perfect motors and exceptional on fuel...

I think if you closely reviewed the evidence regarding the amount of hours on modern pressure injected two strokes amongst a large number of users (e.g. HPDI, OPTI, ETEC), and looked at reliability, maintenance costs, fuel costs, purchase price and performance, the findings would be less one sided than people think. Check out the continuous wave or hull truth websites. I am not talking older 2 strokes we all know they are hard on fuel and smoke. I would buy a large horse power 4 stroke and I would not exclude a modern 2 stroke.

the hpdi's are great engines, upto 200hp.
the bigger block engines especially had alot of early problems. But updates and faulty parts were recalled and replaced under warranty if needed.The problem was that when the motors first came out, at idle they were programed to shut down 2 cylindars to save on fuel. But the problem wit hthis was that guys were launching there boats, or startin them at the dock as they got everytihng ready, parked there truck and trailer, thinkign they were just warming up. This was ok, but then guys would just puch up, throttles down and away they went. 4 hot cylindars and 2 cold cylinders = uh oh. and these cylinders were the ones blowing up under 100hrs. Guys that have to go through a slow zone to get out and then hit the throttles very seldom have any problems as all 6 cylinders are clicking and warmign up.
The updates fixed this problem, and the current hpdi's yamaha produces are regarded by most peopel as bullet proof.
if $$$$ is around though, ide go etec still.

quote:Originally posted by salmon9

I think if you closely reviewed the evidence regarding the amount of hours on modern pressure injected two strokes amongst a large number of users (e.g. HPDI, OPTI, ETEC), and looked at reliability, maintenance costs, fuel costs, purchase price and performance, the findings would be less one sided than people think. Check out the continuous wave or hull truth websites. I am not talking older 2 strokes we all know they are hard on fuel and smoke. I would buy a large horse power 4 stroke and I would not exclude a modern 2 stroke.

I might agree with that statement!

Application boy's...it's all about what boat,horsepower,2 or 4 stroke... the list goes on
I have a 25' grady with twin 4 stroke zukes.
I troll with my mains and I actually have to speed them up...they are unbelievable.
No kicker, so I save on a motor and a TR-1 system...not exactly sure on price but you can bet that's at least $5000
I can also tell you that I've trolled around for a day on a set of twin 250 e-tecs and they still stink and do not idle great...
The bottom line is if you need to troll at idle +...go four strokes all the way.
I recently help the boy's at Pacific Angler get a boat from down south and they were looking at a few boats with HPDI's...I was dead against it and in the end...they ended up with a boat with twin 4 strokes..happiest guy's on the planet right now!

I run 2001 150 HPDI with over 600hrs on it and have never had a problem with it. I change the plugs and gear oil once a year and that's all. I generally run it at 4300 to 4700 rpm when running. The only issue I have is I can't seem to find a prop with the right pitch to use any RPM's over 4900 t0 5000. I do change the fuel filter every year and always park it with a full tank of fuel. The boat and motor do stay in a heated shop when not in use but I don't know how much of a difference that would make.

Autumn Ty-ee

Application boy's...it's all about what boat,horsepower,2 or 4 stroke... the list goes on
I have a 25' grady with twin 4 stroke zukes.
I troll with my mains and I actually have to speed them up...they are unbelievable.
No kicker, so I save on a motor and a TR-1 system...not exactly sure on price but you can bet that's at least $5000
I can also tell you that I've trolled around for a day on a set of twin 250 e-tecs and they still stink and do not idle great...
The bottom line is if you need to troll at idle +...go four strokes all the way.
I recently help the boy's at Pacific Angler get a boat from down south and they were looking at a few boats with HPDI's...I was dead against it and in the end...they ended up with a boat with twin 4 strokes..happiest guy's on the planet right now!

I diffentently have to agree with richmake here! It is all about application.

I run a Boston Whaler Conquest 295. LOA 30’, beam 10’4”, weight over 13,000/lbs. I run twin 225 Merc’s (made by Yamaha). And I do troll with my mains without any problems and love the fact I don’t have to mess with a kicker. Also, love the fact I don't have to worry about oil!

I started with 2-stroke, moved up to I/O’s, ended there with a 4-stroke kicker. Loved that set up! I then moved up to diesel, with a newer 2-stroke on the dingy… and thought I was done and in Heaven (but always wished that 2-stroke-on the dingy was a 4-stroke). Yep, still had to mix that oil! I swore I would never go back to gas and I would never have anything to do with outboards again after owning those diesels. I guess you need to remember… Never say Never! What do I own now…? Twin gas outboards and am very happy with them!

If I was to buy or recommend a new engine right now, what would it be…? VERADO!

I have twin 140 suzuki's on a 27' lifetimer 20-24mph 5 gph per motor. Flat out at 40mph 12gph per motor. these motors never miss a beat

Iv'e always considered yamaha's pretty much disposable engines when run in the ocean. They have corrosion problems like no other.Great other than the internal corrosion.(Very dependable) Havn't had much to do with the HPDI's hope theyve adressed there ongoing corrosion issues.
The four strokes pretty much corrode there exaust/water passages out in the head and block after 5,6,7 years. Not very long. The two strokes good luck getting bolts out, heads off ect after 5,6,7 years or less in the ocean. Repairs become more than the engines are worth.

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

Yep, I concur...Suzuki's are far, far better. I just bought a 2003 Grady 265 Express with twin 225 four strokes with 200 hours, and I'm mulling over getting rid of them and putting on Suzuki's. My other boat has a 225 Suzuki, and I can't say enough good things about them...especially if you buy and service them at Breakers in either Port or Bamfield. And, the most important part is if you do run into issues Suzuki will back their product under warranty, no question. I've not heard that about Yamaha, in fact the opposite.

I have owned Merc, Johnston, Honda and Yamaha engines for commercial and recreational use and can't say any one of them was significantly better than another with regards to corrosion. The engines that showed less signs of corrosion were the ones I looked after better. I now try to keep a thin film of a lubricant over the engine block, bolts and electrical connections (e.g. Fluid Film). They all had their strengths and weaknesses and can't say one manufacturer's engine was considerably better than another. If you think about it engines are all made from similiar materials functioning in a harse corrosive environment so it's an ongoing battle fighting corrosion/oxidation.

Back