Yamaha HPDI motors

Woody

Like to hear views of people with experience running Yamaha HPDI motors. Like em or rather go 4 stroke? Looking at a boat with twin 150 HPDI's. I know nothing about them. Thanks.

some of the early ones had problems (pre 2004ish) but in general they are excellent motors.

the motors shut down 2 cylinders when at idle, so guys would start them up, idle at the dock for 10 or 15 muinutes, leave and hammer the throttle down and end up blowing the cold cylinders. (this was the early problems). they re-programmed them and updated the motors which were out and problems have gone away from what i hear.

img3937n.jpg

I have a 1994 150 hp on my boat, have been using it for about a year with no problems

I have a 2004 150 hp HPDI with about 300 hrs on it and have experienced no problems. Fast trottle response and great hole shot. Great on fuel for a 2 stroke.

thanks guys. Also found an old post with same topics. Looking at a23' Grady Gulf stream with a 2006 300 yamaha HPDI. That should move that boat along good?

300's were the BAD motors, 250 and 300's were most of the problems and blew alot of power heads.

get a mechanic to check it out and be sure the updates were done as soon as they could have been.

img3937n.jpg

agree, the 300's were not a good choice. I know of a few camps that wished they never had them.

Back